PDA

View Full Version : "Can You Surf Fish for Halibut at Night???"

bloox8
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Got a call from Daniel (Dlmoo) at 7pm asking if I wanted to go nighttime surf fishing. I had nothing to do that night, the grunion run just passed, and I have had luck fishing in complete darkness before, so I figured what the hell… lets do it!

We got to the A.O (LB) at around 9pm and met up with one of Daniel’s friend. Since Daniel’s friend doesn’t really surf fish, they both decided to just toss out some squid and warm their butts on the sand. I on the other hand went straight to the LC and started working my way up the beach.

It was a pretty slow night. I ended up with 2 halibut (18” and 20”). Both were caught casting parallel to the surf, right into the troughs. Daniel got a bat ray.

So to answer some of your questions about fishing for halibut at night… Yes they still hit lures at night. Just make sure that your lure has some sort of vibration so they can feel it. Good luck!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q596/thienvo8/photo_zpscf5b8c4c.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q596/thienvo8/photo1_zps36bb9331.jpg

Thien (T.N)

murrieta angler
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Sweet job Thien!
I have caught short halibuts at night as well.
I've also though about calling LC and ask them to make a glow in the dark model...:Cool:
I know alot of shark guys fish at night as well.
Take Care Bud,
Robert
<><

Nipple Twister
03-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Nice job TN, whole 'nother world at night huh?

BTW, where is LB "County"?

skunked4life
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Thien!!!So you still fish huh??? :LOL:

Great job on the multiples! How dark was it? Did you need flashlights?

Wingnut
03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Hey Thien, the Halibut probably glow in the dark there so it'll be easy to target them. :LOL:

Short Halibut eats at night... legal Halibut eats at grey light. :Wink:

The "Mission" continues... :Big Grin:

bachiboy
03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Way to go Thien and Daniel! I've actually caught some at night, but it was in a harbor from a well lit dock...which attracted a lot of baitfish. We would bounce plastic worms along the docks and get bass and, occasionally, some pancakes. The key was to shake the hell outta the worm, so you're right on when you say that you need a lure with a lot of vibration.

I've also though about calling LC and ask them to make a glow in the dark model...:Cool:

They make one. You can also get glow in the dark nail polish and make your own. I made a handful but have yet to hit a flattie with one in the dark. I found this which I think is glow in the dark, but I've seen the full glow in the dark version on sale before...looks like they sold out. They had three different "Super-Glow" patterns listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUCKY-CRAFT-SW-Flashminnow-110-Super-Glow-Sardine-/130532008381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e645061bd

bloox8
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Thien!!!So you still fish huh??? :LOL:

Great job on the multiples! How dark was it? Did you need flashlights?

Lol. Its been awhile. Midterms killed me and I have a bunch of papers due on top of that. I will be back in action soon!
It was pretty dark. Didn't have a flash light; I just had my phone.
Let me know when you want to go catch some fish, perhaps some legals??

Hey Thien, the Halibut probably glow in the dark there so it'll be easy to target them. :LOL:

Short Halibut eats at night... legal Halibut eats at grey light. :Wink:

The "Mission" continues... :Big Grin:
Hmmmm interesting. Come to think of it, I did only catch shorter models during black light. One legal though but barely legal.
I have to test it out a little more when I can.

Sharkbait
03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Very Interesting! How would you rate the fishes strike? Do you think they strike harder or softer at night, or is it all the same day or night?

FishinElectrician
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Heck of a catch in the dark, bro!!! :Applause:

Let me ask you, are you using a snap to connect to the split ring on the lure? If so, what size???

Jaysuuun
03-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Yo Thien here's the answer to your thread...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?31483-A-night-of-FIRSTS-at-NPH!!-4-1

Nice job on the nighttime assault.

Jesus805
03-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Nice! Good job

jinbow
03-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow, I never knew night fishing was possible with lures. Is it even visible to them or it's because the action? :Smile:
Anyway, great catches on the two halis. And thanks for the info!