PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Silverwood

troutsniffer
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
My 12 yr old son loves to troll the harbors but I'm thinking I'd like to head to the Wood.
Has anyone had any luck trolling at Silverwood recently? Are the stripers still to deep for trolling? Is it to soon? What are they biting on?

Any help would be appreciated

seal
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Just about everybody I see out there trolling has a U rig of some type. It's a hard call on depth, with the warm weather we've been having some of the bigger ones will start coming up, water temp is about 55 right now and that's getting close to perfect for more surface or shallow water activity. Way too early for any slurping action so for trolling to get to the schoolies it's probably still going to be 30 ft or more. I know there are quite a few trollers on this website that will probably chime in with better intel.

Good luck!

AZ.Kid
03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
It’s a tough call, I was there last Saturday wind was up & the fish were down, but I think the wood changes from day to day. The warn weather all week will probably bring out the water & jet skiers. :Angry:

karlow
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
We were last Sat.
I landed three stripers on the troll, Joe landed five.
I also caught three trout & Joe landed one trout.
The stripers were about 35-40 ft deep that we caught.

troutsniffer
03-14-2013, 09:14 PM
We were last Sat.
I landed three stripers on the troll, Joe landed five.
I also caught three trout & Joe landed one trout.
The stripers were about 35-40 ft deep that we caught.

Sweet, that's a good day. Was this with the Urig or normal deep diving lures with rods?

karlow
03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Nope, Spy-d-rigs, the squid rig was a none producer!
Custom stuff.
The trout were on a gold cast master.

troutsniffer
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm all noob so I'm assuming the spy d rig is some type of rig like a urig yes? Any caught trolling with rods?

I'd go to New Port and troll but there's just way to much traffic there on the weekends. It's a highway of boats and floating mansions in that marina. We went twice this past month and caught tons of spoties, calicos and nice size barracudas on the troll. Lot's of fun but to much traffic for the drift fishing

troutsniffer
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
The plan is still to go to the wood Tomorrow. Any tips on where some good spots are? Anyone =)

MikesOcean
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I think the wood is a great place to troll! I think this time of year it is hit and miss. As far as locations to troll, there never is consistency with that being stripers are always on the move. Just watch your fish finder where schools are feeding on bait and that usually is the jackpot.
DO BEWARE, Lots of huge trees and bushes under water so make sure you bring a lure retriever with you, cuz you will get snagged especially if you are not familiar with that lake.

Good luck out there and looking forward to your report.

troutsniffer
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I think the wood is a great place to troll! I think this time of year it is hit and miss. As far as locations to troll, there never is consistency with that being stripers are always on the move. Just watch your fish finder where schools are feeding on bait and that usually is the jackpot.
DO BEWARE, Lots of huge trees and bushes under water so make sure you bring a lure retriever with you, cuz you will get snagged especially if you are not familiar with that lake.

Good luck out there and looking forward to your report.

Thanks for the reply Mike.
I forgot to mention that will be trolling 30-40% of the day after hitting some points and shallows for LMB. I figure the last 2.5-3hrs