PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-03-13-13 Coronado Island Yellowtail!

Tunaslam
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I went fishing Wed. 3-13-13, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. I was up at 2:30 am and over to Lal’s house in Cerritos at 3:20am. We launched out of Shelter Island in San Diego at 5:50 am, our beginning destination being the Coronado Islands. Stopped for a half scoop of bait (wasted money) and cleared the point at 6:15am.

We arrived at Pukey Point at 7:20 am. The 2 foot seas were very confused, and there was an intermittent 12 knot breeze, which resulted in a bumpy ride out at about 16 knots. Visibility was poor, yet there was a ¼ mile window in the fog. We joined three other private boaters, or I should say they joined us as we were first to arrive.

The fog became very dense and unless you were within 100 yards of the island it disappeared, yikes! We sorted teamed up with Gooey Duck, and they had radar in case it became an issue. We slow trolled Sardines and stopped on marks, not tail marks, to Yo Yo Iron. We also trolled Rapalas and Yozuri X-Raps through all the feeding birds. The area was loaded with bait, and looked very fishy. However, no predators ever showed up. By 9:30 am we figured the Sporties were elsewhere. A call out on channel 72 asking for info on the location of the Sporties, resulted in some smart *** saying they were down at the Rockpile. Fortunately someone stated they were sitting right next to the Malahini somewhere near the middle grounds.

Not knowing what to believe, we headed for the middle grounds and not finding any boats continued on to south island. Visibility was still very poor, maybe 200 to 300 yards. The sun broke out as we reached the middle part of south island and the skies cleared. Was not aware that they had removed all the Tuna pens, and all the moorings, wow? All those sea hazards are now a thing of the past. Funny I had heard a rumor earlier that the pen’s were no longer considered a money making operation, and might be discontinued? Guess it is more than a rumor? Anyhow we reached the southern end of the island and turned the corner. Still we could not see any boats anywhere, although looking back north you could not see much more than a ½ mile before the dense fog returned.

Once again we hailed for the location and smart *** again said the Rockpile is wide open, and fortunately several other boaters said he was an idiot and they said both the Malahini and San Diego were somewhere near the middle grounds. We decided it was too late in the game to head to the Rockpile anyhow, as the forecast called for breezy seas in the afternoon and it was now past 10am.

We headed back up to the middle grounds. Visibility was about 300 yards when we arrived. We slow trolled sardines around the two islands. Then way off in the distance we spotted the San Diego and about six private boaters. Looks like we were going to join the party late, as it was now 11am. A lot of time wasted chasing shadows in the fog. Radar sure would have helped as we obviously passed everyone well over an hour earlier in the fog. The boats were clearly a good two miles outside of the middle grounds and way east of North Island.

Pulled up to the area, the birds were crashing and we saw boils underneath them. Lal and I both casted sardines on the boiling fish, and I dropped my iron down and placed it in the rod holder. Now things get funny, while holding my bait stick, I wound in my jig with the rod still in the holder and got bit on the iron at mid water column. I asked Lal to wind in my bait stick, while I fought the jig fish. Gad these winter tails can pull hard. He took about a 75 yard initial run on 40 pound. My drag was not that tight, but still decent. The familiar tail thumps were huge, and this Yellowtail did not want to budge. Finally he tired and went into the death circle about 50 feet down. Soon deep color and Lal stuck him. A nice 22.5 pound Yellowtail.

My first of the day:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2476680x510_zps07a01b7b.jpg

Both the San Diego and Malahini were on the move. We went searching for more bird schools, yet all we found were birds crashing on seals and porpoise. We generally prefer to find our own fish, yet we could not meter any fish. Decided to play the unpopular game of tagging the sporties, sorry the only game in town this late in the day.

We watched the Sporties hook and land fish, a couple here and there and then back on the move. We could hear the Captain say, the fish are right under the boat, wind like hell gents. We could identify with that, wind like hell we did. Never saw any marks under the boat in many, many moves. Then Lal gets bit near the bottom. At first he thinks it is a Lingcod, does not pull much, but got heavier, and then it woke up and pulled Lal across the stern and bent him over big time, as it tore off line. A hard fight, deep color and a solid head gaff and Lal is on the board. It is always a great feeling when neither angler has to go home empty handed.

Lal’s first of the day:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2477680x510_zps8cd2445c.jpg

The Malahini and San Diego were each spreading out further and further as the day was winding down. We continued to look for signs of fish to no avail. In front of us about ¼ mile the San Diego did a U-turn. As we moved up closer the Captain was shouting they are here gang, wind those reels!

And yes we had meter marks underneath us, the first of the day. I dropped my iron and took about five cranks and what is always a blast, I am stopped cold and can barely turn the handle. With aching arm muscles and cramps in my forearm, this fish almost pulled the rod out of my hands. I recovered quickly and squeezed past Lal as the big Tail put my reel into scream mode. I don’t know if this fish was just plain mean or I was too exhausted to pull hard, but it would not budge once he was straight up and down. Leaning hard I managed to gain a few inches here and there and then it tired, and up he came. He wasn’t done though, as Lal went to stick him, he took another dive, he just didn’t like the sight of the boat? Three more times to the boat and Lal found the window of opportunity as I coaxed the fish to the gaff. Head shot and gasp, I’m beat!

My second and our last of the day:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2480680x510_zpscf595adf.jpg

The boats scattered, the fish were gone for the day. We ran back up to Pukey to take a look. A whole lot of bird action, but nothing but bait. It was 2:30 pm. Time to head home. The seas were calmer now than on the morning ride out. On the trailer at 4pm, and on to the long drive home to Cerritos in evening traffic. Nearly 7pm we washed down the boat and began cleaning the fish.

The three Yellowtail getting ready to go under the knife:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2481680x510_zpse6ca5d50.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2483680x510_zpsac148685.jpg

Home in Diamond Bar at 9pm, a happy camper. Loaded pictures and wrote a short report. Need sleep bad and all my muscles ache? The three Yellowtail were all cookie cutter size 22.5 to 23.5 pounds. My arm is about to fall off from all the Yo Yoing of Iron. All three fish caught on the Dorado color Salas 6x Jr.

Thanks Lal, another incredible adventure on the Ducky.
Hook up! Cory

ILL PHIL
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
great pics great report!

bachiboy
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Great report! Dorado colored 6x is one of my "go to" colors. Hope the rumors about those pens is true...might make for an interesting bluefin season.:Wink: Congrats on getting on some nice fish!

Thanks for the read and eye-candy!
Don

Jig-Guy
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I enjoyed the cool report and pictures. Those are nice fish you guys caught.

JAG107
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Really excellent report, thanks so much! Beautiful fish!

Stalker Of Fish
03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Nice catch !!! Was this Sandiego's Coronado Islands or Baja Mexico's I am going to my Sisters place in Puerto Nuevo soon. I hope that bite was down there !
Congrats on the fish and a great report!

Tunaslam
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Nice catch !!! Was this Sandiego's Coronado Islands or Baja Mexico's I am going to my Sisters place in Puerto Nuevo soon. I hope that bite was down there !
Congrats on the fish and a great report!

Yep. Coronado Islands, some 17 miles south of San Diego.

Cory

DockRat
03-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Great story and pics. The Ducky delivers !!!
DR

russ88
03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Wow wake up at 2:30am n home at 9pm on a private boat. You kick arse! Thanks for sharing your forktail chasing adventure!!!