PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Report

Troutin Man
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Well today I decided enough was enough. Enough of work. Enough of family. Enough stress! So I decided to play hookie from everyone! That's right! Everyone!

I got up to BBL at around 10 am. Hit Juniper Point first. Caught 1 on PB with Bite On Roe. Threw it as far out as possible with the heaviest bullet weight I had. Used a 2 foot leader. Had another bite and dragged for a while on PB on a treble hook with a mice tail orange/green head. It was a nice fight too, but ended up losing it. I ended giving my fish to an older gentleman who was fishing since yesterday and hadn't caught one. I was at Juniper for about 1.5 hours.

Then hit Stanfield Cut for about 45 minutes for nada. Zilch.

Then hit Boulder Bay and had a nice hit, but I was slow to react and lost it. Trout bit on 1/2 nightcrawler 4 feet under a bobber. Was there for about 1.5 hours. Then I decided I would drive to the dam, but saw some people hanging out at the bridge (pipe as wardens call it). Saw two people fishing there near the pipe (tunnel) and saw at least 80 trout in shallow water. The people fishing there said that they were throwing everything they had except the kitchen sink and nothing all day. They were there since morning and in the afternoon, they still had nothing.

Then I decided to hit the south side of the dam. Tons of fish swimming. So I used a slip bobber with a 1/2 crawler. Adjusted depth but nothing. I used a kastmaster rainbow style and had a few chase, but turned away at last second. Then I used my Super Duper and ended up "finning" a carp. Nice size...at least 4 pounds. Nice battle too! Rippin' my line. The carp was not happy at all. I managed to get the hook out.

Overall a great day to get away from everybody and just me and the little fishies. Bite was super slow everywhere, but weather was spectacular with some wind.

Troutin Man
03-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Here's a pic of the carp caught at the dam.

bowler
03-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Well today I decided enough was enough. Enough of work. Enough of family. Enough stress! So I decided to play hookie from everyone! That's right! Everyone!

I got up to BBL at around 10 am. Hit Juniper Point first. Caught 1 on PB with Bite On Roe. Threw it as far out as possible with the heaviest bullet weight I had. Used a 2 foot leader. Had another bite and dragged for a while on PB on a treble hook with a mice tail orange/green head. It was a nice fight too, but ended up losing it. I ended giving my fish to an older gentleman who was fishing since yesterday and hadn't caught one. I was at Juniper for about 1.5 hours.

Then hit Stanfield Cut for about 45 minutes for nada. Zilch.

Then hit Boulder Bay and had a nice hit, but I was slow to react and lost it. Trout bit on 1/2 nightcrawler 4 feet under a bobber. Was there for about 1.5 hours. Then I decided I would drive to the dam, but saw some people hanging out at the bridge (pipe as wardens call it). Saw two people fishing there near the pipe (tunnel) and saw at least 80 trout in shallow water. The people fishing there said that they were throwing everything they had except the kitchen sink and nothing all day. They were there since morning and in the afternoon, they still had nothing.

Then I decided to hit the south side of the dam. Tons of fish swimming. So I used a slip bobber with a 1/2 crawler. Adjusted depth but nothing. I used a kastmaster rainbow style and had a few chase, but turned away at last second. Then I used my Super Duper and ended up "finning" a carp. Nice size...at least 4 pounds. Nice battle too! Rippin' my line. The carp was not happy at all. I managed to get the hook out.

Overall a great day to get away from everybody and just me and the little fishies. Bite was super slow everywhere, but weather was spectacular with some wind.

Nice job. I was up there two weeks ago and it was super windy (25mph) and the high for the day was 32F but i did get 4 nice trout on white power eggs. It was about a 5lbs stringer total weight for 4 trout.

seal
03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Hope those guys fishing for the 80 trout were fishing in the lake and not in the tunnel or on the creek side of the tunnel. No fishing the tributaries of BBL right now, that's a big DFG no no and will get um a ticket for sure.

Troutin Man
03-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Hope those guys fishing for the 80 trout were fishing in the lake and not in the tunnel or on the creek side of the tunnel. No fishing the tributaries of BBL right now, that's a big DFG no no and will get um a ticket for sure.

They were not in the tunnel, but next to it. I was told 100 yards from the tributary. What is the rule?

seal
03-14-2013, 05:59 AM
They were not in the tunnel, but next to it. I was told 100 yards from the tributary. What is the rule?

100 yards? Not positive of the distance but I think it was more like 100 ft or something from the inlet not 100 yards but that's from the opening of the inlet so if they were fishing for them right by the pipe I think that is legally considered a no no.

Troutin Man
03-14-2013, 11:13 PM
100 yards? Not positive of the distance but I think it was more like 100 ft or something from the inlet not 100 yards but that's from the opening of the inlet so if they were fishing for them right by the pipe I think that is legally considered a no no.

Yes. I mean 100 feet from the tributary. However, they were fishing right up against the pipe, but were fishing in the actual lake part of it. They were basically against the wall and short casting directly in front of them or toward the lake away from the tunnel. So is it myth, fiction, or fact?

DrePSP
03-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Waiting on my buddy to get here so we can leave. We were thinking bbl but now not so sure. Stupid spawning

rmnv505
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the report TM it looks like you covered alot of the lake and threw out a whole lot. Im heading up the BBL tomorrow morning lets hope i can get a few.

DrePSP
03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
I am glad for the report. Thank you! I went to jenks instead and had a great time. No one there the first part of the morning and bite was on. My buddy and i Only kept 3 bigger ones and let go at least 10. Wish every Friday was like this.

DockRat
03-16-2013, 06:04 AM
saw at least 80 trout in shallow water.

I used to fish that creek every spring in the late 60's.
There was a steel structure on the inland side and that area and up creek a little more was good. Our cabin was about 1/2 mile towards the dam from there.
DR

Troutin Man
03-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Why don't you fish it anymore?

As for the report, its nice to know the report helped some of you make decisions on where to fish.

JAG107
03-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the report! Glad you got on some fish, soon enough it will be trolling time!
I wonder, now that DFW is stocking sterile triploids, will the law about fishing the streams at spawn change since there will eventually be no more trout spawn???

bowler
03-17-2013, 04:52 PM

You can fish at lake level. So that me you can fish right at the pipe. But you can not toss into the pipe. I was fishing right next to an inlet at big bear and the dfg came by and did nothing. All he told us was not to cast in the stream.

Troutin Man
03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
You can fish at lake level. So that me you can fish right at the pipe. But you can not toss into the pipe. I was fishing right next to an inlet at big bear and the dfg came by and did nothing. All he told us was not to cast in the stream.

Thanks for the info. It kind of feels like cheating though casting where there are so many damn fish. However, that couple did not catch any being there the whole day...so I guess not.

Anyone hit up Lake Gregory yet?

Skyler
03-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the report. Did you see any carp cruising yet?

Troutin Man
03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the report. Did you see any carp cruising yet?

Did I? Oh my god! The dam had a whole damn lot of carp! I would say easily over a hundred just sitting on the south side and in the middle of the dam area. Maybe even over 200 hundred and some were large! All on the dam side of the white buoy line. I caught one with my super duper hooked onto the dorsal fin. Had a nice battle with the 4 or so pounder. Great size. Great battle. Loved it! There's a picture of it at the beginning of this thread! It was good practice for me when I hook up a PIG at SARL or Corona! Well...there's wishing anyways. One day my friends. One day!

Skyler
03-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Did I? Oh my god! The dam had a whole damn lot of carp! I would say easily over a hundred just sitting on the south side and in the middle of the dam area. Maybe even over 200 hundred and some were large! All on the dam side of the white buoy line. I caught one with my super duper hooked onto the dorsal fin. Had a nice battle with the 4 or so pounder. Great size. Great battle. Loved it! There's a picture of it at the beginning of this thread! It was good practice for me when I hook up a PIG at SARL or Corona! Well...there's wishing anyways. One day my friends. One day!

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Time to sharpen my arrows, he he.

Troutin Man
03-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Time to sharpen my arrows, he he.

Sharpen them for sure. You might be able to get 2 carp with one arrow it so "dam" crowded. For me to hook one using a lure illustrates how many there were. They were mostly at surface and down to about 4 feet.

Good luck Skyler. Post some pics!

Skyler
03-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Sounds like it's on. Some of the locals were saying there are even more carp than last year. I'm heading up there friday.

Troutin Man
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
I am hearin' that there are more carp than usual in the lake and they are showin. ETaggart also wrote something about it on another thread I think. My friend told me that his friend went up yesterday and seemed like there were 300 or so carp near the dam, and many of them large. Water is clear and you can really see them. However, no trout seen near surface at the dam.

Kingfish Addict
03-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I am hearin' that there are more carp than usual in the lake and they are showin. ETaggart also wrote something about it on another thread I think. My friend told me that his friend went up yesterday and seemed like there were 300 or so carp near the dam, and many of them large. Water is clear and you can really see them. However, no trout seen near surface at the dam.

Ya I've read that most the trout are about 20-40 ft down right now. I'll be going up there with the family tomorrow morning and coming home Sunday, gonna fish all 3 days and gonna try many different spots til I hook up...

The Fishing Queen
03-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Good catch of a carp and trout. Nice to know trout are biting at BBL. Can't wait to go back on my next trip. Thanks for sharing!

Troutin Man
04-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Good to hear from you FQ. Have you been fishin at all lately?

My friend got back from BBL last night and said he hit his limit at Stanfield Cutoff in 3 hours using trout worms...actually 4 on trout worms and one on a fly. He stuck a bobber on the line and used a 4 foot leader and the fly just floated on top! Something like that. Hey...it worked for him!

Hopefully I can get up there again this month.

Good catch of a carp and trout. Nice to know trout are biting at BBL. Can't wait to go back on my next trip. Thanks for sharing!

The Fishing Queen
04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Good to hear from you FQ. Have you been fishin at all lately?

My friend got back from BBL last night and said he hit his limit at Stanfield Cutoff in 3 hours using trout worms...actually 4 on trout worms and one on a fly. He stuck a bobber on the line and used a 4 foot leader and the fly just floated on top! Something like that. Hey...it worked for him!

Hopefully I can get up there again this month.

I did go out a couple times in the past 4 months, caught some nice trout up in the mountains. But I didn't post any reports because and the trout were spawning and I didn't want them to be disturbed by heavy traffic......

Lately, I have been busy with other interests going on in my life besides fishing. So far I have achieved my goal and I'm coming to the end of it........ A few friends called and we've been talking about fishing and I'm planing to fish with them in the next week or two. Also, I'll be heading to BBL for a short vacation and fishing in the future.

It's nice to know trout were biting from your report. And thanks for the info and the update! Take care!

Troutin Man
04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I did go out a couple times in the past 4 months, caught some nice trout up in the mountains. But I didn't post any reports because and the trout were spawning and I didn't want them to be disturbed by heavy traffic......

Lately, I have been busy with other interests going on in my life besides fishing. So far I have achieved my goal and I'm coming to the end of it........ A few friends called and we've been talking about fishing and I'm planing to fish with them in the next week or two. Also, I'll be heading to BBL for a short vacation and fishing in the future.

It's nice to know trout were biting from your report. And thanks for the info and the update! Take care!

Went up the other day and scanned the area to fish. There were tons of anglers in the popular spots! So much shoreline, but little or no areas to fish. From what I saw, the trout were still trying to spawn and anglers were throwing bait and lures. The little devils seemed pissed off or something. They would see the bait...stare...swim around it. As for lures, people were throwing all kinds and no love. They would see a lure and then swim out of the way...like dodgeball. Rather amusing. Frustrated anglers to say the least. To see them, to throw, and to have rods not go bendo!!!

After watching for a bit, I decided to dip my 2 lines in areas I have never fished. Did not catch any. However, it was much more relaxing to be in those spots than with all the brouhaha.

I am now going to set my sites on the eastern sierras, do some readings on several reachable lakes, head on up and do some fishin' for the sierra opening!