PDA

View Full Version : helo with crank baits for trout

angelsfan951
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
i was just wondering what kind of cranks do u guys use. I knew ppl trolled with them but i saw a couple guys killing the trout by just casting from a boat so im kind of curious what technique do u guys use , just cast and retrive at differnt speeds or how does this all work? and what size and kind do u prefer? thanx for the advice

angelsfan951
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
any1 has some input???

fishnbear
03-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I too am curious which crank baits work well for cast/retrievers. I've heard of trollers using pink flicker shads, sc shiners, and firetiger rap alas with great success. I was at corona last weekend and tried throwing a flicker shad for a couple of hours but didn't get any bites. Hoping we get some insight from the crank bait gurus. Which patterns work well, sinking vs. floating types, and which scents if any do you use? I would assume that since a crank baits is designed to mimic a bait fish, then why would someone use a garlic type scent? Fish don't naturally taste like garlic. Wouldn't a threadfin shad scent make more sense?

kaneo
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
mira shads all the way, pink, and orange are killer for trout on the troll, there is a lot of tiny lipless cranks that get the trout as well..

gogreeenz4
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
mira shads all the way, pink, and orange are killer for trout on the troll, there is a lot of tiny lipless cranks that get the trout as well..

use your throb

kaneo
03-15-2013, 04:52 PM
i got your throb for you... you want to go at this again ?

angelsfan951
03-15-2013, 11:23 PM
plz lets stay on topic here we are trying to get some info not start a back and forth argument

FKNChristopH
03-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Diawa sc shiners and Mira shads. Add a little bite-on and you're good to go. As for retrieves, check my video.. YouTube.com/fknchristoph.. I like winding them kinda slow.. Good luck!

*shakka*

Edit*
Colors: gold and orange/ pink/ shad colors work well. Only use scent for the sole purpose to attract the fish to the area and the vibrations help the fish key in on the bait.

Caliyak
03-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I love to crank for trout on my yak. I get a workout and fish at the same time. I troll a bomber in semi shallow water and I've caught nice trout. I'm not paddling fast but just consistent and hitting the bottom.

jim532
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
When I fish the lakes in the Bishop/Mammoth areas, I bring a couple Lucky Craft in rainbow or ghost rainbow. Also the Daiwa SC shiner brown trout has been really good. Sometimes I do well with the Pins Minnow too.