PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 3/9/13 Late Report

aFISHionado1
03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Went out to Irvine Lake on Saturday with 8 of my buddies. About half of us were experienced, and the other half were newbies. I haven’t been to this lake in over 15 years, so I forgot how beautiful it was. It really feels like you’re in the mountains and away from the city. I arrived at the lake around 5:50 AM to a long line. As I mentioned before, I haven’t been here for a long time so I wasn’t exactly sure where to fish. We decided to fish Trout Island. Unfortunately, it had rained Thursday and Friday and they would not allow us to drive out to Trout Island. We had to make the really really long walk which sucked because the ground was muddy, and we were carrying a bunch of gear.

We found a spot, and our group basically took up the whole west point of Trout Island. Threw out our lines set up with powerbait, mice tails, ripper rats, and powerbait rolled in lip ripperz hatchery dust. Almost all the baits were dipped in some sort of garlic dip (Berkley and bite-on). To make a long story short, the bite was slow. I managed to catch 1 trout, and as a group, we caught 4 total scattered throughout the day all on plain powerbait (1 on orange and 3 on chartreuse) with no extra scent. I tried to jig trout worms, lip ripperz, and kastmasters all day with no luck. I didn’t really see too many people around us catch anything as well. Most people had empty stringers. I did see a couple of float tubers and boats catch a couple of fish but it was definitely hard work.

All in all, I was glad to be out there. Seems like this lake is more geared for boats and float tubes. Just my opinion, but not really shore fishing friendly. I don’t understand why they don’t make an easier trail/road out to the west shore. The kids’ lagoon looked pretty interesting. I’ll probably come back to try that out with the kids. Peace out and God bless!