PDA

View Full Version : Topanga Surf- 4/24

Fisho
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Finally found myself the magic bait--Lucky Craft Flashminnow Sardine (bought 2 just in case) so I headed out to Topanga to nail some halibut. :wink: Anyways, first I found a dead cormorant laying on the beach. A wave soon showed up to take it away. Threw the LC for about 20 minutes, mostly for lots of little bits o' seaweed & eelgrass, then switched over to the Krocodile for less of the same. Figured I'd try a new spot and headed south near the Getty sign. Went back to the LC for a while. Only slightly less seaweed here. Switched back to the Kroc and slammed a small yellowfin croaker.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7817/apr2401zi3.jpg

Kept throwing the Kroc and caught a bird ( I think it was grebe) who was floating around and dived down and scored itself a piece of inedible shiny metal. :roll: Didn't fight worth a crap--the YFC fought harder. He just kind surfed along with his wings outstretched. Once I got him on shore he shook his head and dislodged the hook. He then swam off.

He looked like this, but a little less happy:

http://www.ibrrc.org/images/birds/WEGR_hampton.jpg

Anyways, I was on my last cast when I saw about a 5 foot shark swim by in less than a foot of water. :shock: Both it's fin and tail were sticking out. I'm guessing a lepoard. This got me excited enough to give it another half hour until it was almost pretty much dark, but didn't get anything else and left about twenty to eight.

Here's the stiffy and a little of my finger:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5718/apr2400yh5.jpg

Fisherman57
04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Nice YFC "FishO".....

I've had some good luck in that area fishing Blue/Green Kroc's & Kastmasters....... even got a short hali on a MORF grub....... that Cormorant looks like he's trying to get a tan. :?

There is some big Leo's out there.. I'd bet money it was a big Leo.....
I love that area.

Thanks for the report and the pics.

one_leg
04-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Fisho,
Congrats on the little bits o' seaweed & eelgrass.
Oh yeah, congrats on the fish too.
Too bad about the shark getting around your bait. :cry:

You're right, it's a Grebe. I've seen them catch fish. Awesome swimmers.

olfishergal
04-25-2007, 07:30 PM
nice catch......i'm going to head over to Topanga soon..........at least its close to home.

JSAUCE818
04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
HEY!! THAT'S MY SPOT!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE...I USED SLAY THERE LAST YEAR...DON'T KNOW IF YA SEEN MY REPORTS FROM THERE...I KNOW A REALLY GOOD SPOT FOR HALI'S IN THAT AREA...NOW THAT ITS HEATING UP....EXPECT A LOT OF REPORTS FROM ME AGAIN IN THAT AREA....PROLY BUMP INTO YOU THERE FISHO.....THAT PLACE IS AWESOME FOR PERCH....THANKS FOR THE REPORTS AND PICS....KEEP EM COMING...

Hitts0n
04-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Nice fish0............aka Fingersh0 ! 8) :thumb:

Beeracuda211
05-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Nice report dude... that bird on his back has me cracking up!! LMAO

B/C

Hitts0n
05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
That bird had too much to drink...... :lol: