PDA

View Full Version : Windswept

Bassfan
03-10-2013, 09:40 AM
The wind made it a really rough day. I was alone and trying to manage 2 anchors in wind that according to the Castaic website was 20 MPH with gusts to 40 and it felt about the same to me at Pyramid. I kept losing the upwind anchor and blowing off the area I targeted. Kept pulling up the lines and re-anchoring only to get blown off again.

At the first area I was actually able to throw out some bait I was still cleaning up the slack from the anchor lines when one rod went down. I was flylining sardine in 20” of water. I almost didn’t expect to get a fish so I wasn’t watching very closely and when I brought in a nice striper and pulled out the hook I noticed fishing line still in his mouth. Apparently he scooped up my bait from the first rod and then ate the bait from the second. It just was his day to die! Managed 2 more in the next couple hours for a total of 3 fish and still not sure it was worth fighting that wind.

The final straw was at about 11:30 as I held one anchor line trying to reposition (AGAIN) and the anchor line went tight, came up and popped my only expensive rod out of the holder and into the lake. I saw it sink like a rock in disbelief and shock. Tried to pull out another rod and cast for it as it sank but of course the line was wrapped around itself just enough that by the time I could get it loose I had blown 20 feet from the spot.

I had just gotten the Phenix Recon 2 rod and had a Stradic reel less than a year old and that may be the last expensive setup I will buy. I have seen Ron out-fish everybody with a whoppin’ stick and a $40. reel enough times to know the fish don’t care.

flyhigh123
03-10-2013, 02:50 PM
I bought a Jerry Hester u-rig retriever,

Maybe u can try that?

Bassfan
03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
I bought a Jerry Hester u-rig retriever,

Maybe u can try that?

Not a bad idea but I probably need one of those underwater cameras to locate it since the wind sent the boat sailing along after it dropped in. Could be in a fairly wide area. It would be great to find it but I may have to accept that the fishing gods hired the wind to kicked my butt!

DMS
03-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Not a bad idea but I probably need one of those underwater cameras to locate it since the wind sent the boat sailing along after it dropped in. Could be in a fairly wide area. It would be great to find it but I may have to accept that the fishing gods hired the wind to kicked my butt!

That u-rig retriever is what I tried with right in that area where you were. I thought I had a good chance to fetch it back for you. Dang wind.

fishinone
03-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Jim, You did better than I did at the duct Friday night/Saturday morning. Sorry to hear that you lost that nice pole. Those Stradics are nice, about as smooth as a spinning reel gets.

Is the grade of the fish improving?

Bassfan
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM

The 3 I caught were the typical medium size Pyramid striper but the ones last week did look like one size larger. The bite didn't seem to be as hard as just staying in one place long enough to keep the bait where you want it. Damn wind!!

DMS
03-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Jim, You did better than I did at the duct Friday night/Saturday morning. Sorry to hear that you lost that nice pole. Those Stradics are nice, about as smooth as a spinning reel gets.

Our two fish were right between 3.5 and 4#, so they were in the range as the last 3 weeks, but closer to the better fish as most of them have been between 1 and 4#.