PDA

View Full Version : 3/9/13 Blowin' Away the Skunk

DMS
03-09-2013, 06:13 PM
We were hoping for seasonally nice days like the last 3 Saturday's but got the snot pounded out of us by the wind. Beautiful snow on the mountains and some moments of sun, but days like this gives me practice anchoring. Ended up anchoring 4X before we got a couple nibblers and we stuck two of them (one for Lulu and one for me). Saw Jim and Jorge and they got a few too.
Jim lost a rod overboard, so before we left I tried to snare it back for him by his spot with my "saver tool", but the wind kept trying to blow us aground.
Our fish were 3.5 and 4# and finally had enough. I was able to get the anchor set on 3 of the 4, but basically the blowing kept pushing me out of the position I was trying to get.
We were back at the dock by 1 and left Jorge still waiting for more action.
The water was still around 51/52 degrees.

It was a fun day, but glad to be out of the wind.

DMS

cutbait
03-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Good report.

Somedays is best spent waiting it out for better weather

MikesOcean
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Still great job out there! The tough days are great by humbling us. Sometimes we learn the most on those days.

DMS
03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Good report.

Somedays is best spent waiting it out for better weather

True, but the trick is knowing before you get out there. AND I have to confess that I am a fishaholic. completely hooked. We gave the 2 stripers to 2 friends and they were so happy and impressed at the two slimers.

trail blazer
03-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Nice try DMS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Beat the skunk too,,,,,,,NICE!

My 1st day off il be back up there myself,,,,,,,hopefully this week

Bassfan
03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Jim lost a rod overboard, so before we left I tried to snare it back for him by his spot with my "saver tool", but the wind kept trying to blow us aground.
DMS

Thanks for the effort Dan. That was my best and favorite rod and I appreciate that you tried. Its a bit of needle in a haystack now but someday somebody will reel in thinking they have a branch and find a great rod instead.

flyhigh123
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
It was good seeing you Jim in the morning. Dms, I didn't see you but will try to say hello at the mid. I picked up a season pass there finally.

It was a terrible day of crazy winds. Must have been blowing at 30-40+ gusts.

I fished all over the lake. Was forced to fish a few places I haven't been as the main lake by the damn was so crazy.

Anchoring was very difficult but as you said wit was great practice.

The waves by the damn were around 1-2 feet chops at one point. I tried to anchor but it got real unsafe real fast as water was coming over my transom, so I moved.

Ended the day with 3 keepers.

I lost my hat as well.

Ill be at the mid in either 2 or 3 weeks.

DMS
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the effort Dan. That was my best and favorite rod and I appreciate that you tried. Its a bit of needle in a haystack now but someday somebody will reel in thinking they have a branch and find a great rod instead.

I think if the wind was less I probably could have snared it back. Its not so deep there. Any FNN's out there that SCUBA that would try to help out? Once, when I was a kid, I caught a modest fish that had a line in its mouth. I pulled on the line and felt something... kept pulling and fished in a rod and reel. Not really much of a rig, and the rod had a broken guide. I don't remember exactly what we did, but my dad really wanted to return it to the original owner. I thought that the rod was not much to write home about and I had no way to ever figure out who owned it. Back then, we didn't have designer rods so much... just Mitchell 300's with some generic spinning rods. I actually still have my first spinning rod and reel, but don't really use it anymore.
another time I was salmon fishing with my neighbor. He hooked a fish and when he got his line in, there was a line wrapped and snagged on his hook. There was a fish pulling back though and hand over hand would have broken off, so we beached and he backed up until we found the end of the wrapped line and its hook was snagged on some other line which we found was attached to a foul hooked salmon... probably an 18#'er. So a line snags a loose line that snagged another line with a snagged fish. We released the fish since it was foul hooked and I'm still laughing about it today.

DMS
03-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Nice try DMS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Beat the skunk too,,,,,,,NICE!

My 1st day off il be back up there myself,,,,,,,hopefully this week

Go get 'em TB... you are due.

TroutOnly
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER WAIT FOR THE NICE DAY THEN ITS TIME TO SLAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT WILL BE TOMMOROW WHEN NOBODYS THERE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST ME AND MY FRESH DINES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BETTER WEATHER COMING NEXT SAT DAN,,,,,JIM LOSE TWO MORE TO THE LAKE AND YOU WILL BE UP THERE WITH ME, IVE JUST ALWAYS TOOK IT AS A OFFERING TO POSIEDON,,,,,,,,,,

DMS
03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
It was good seeing you Jim in the morning. Dms, I didn't see you but will try to say hello at the mid. I picked up a season pass there finally.

It was a terrible day of crazy winds. Must have been blowing at 30-40+ gusts.

I fished all over the lake. Was forced to fish a few places I haven't been as the main lake by the damn was so crazy.

Anchoring was very difficult but as you said wit was great practice.

The waves by the damn were around 1-2 feet chops at one point. I tried to anchor but it got real unsafe real fast as water was coming over my transom, so I moved.

Ended the day with 3 keepers.

I lost my hat as well.

Ill be at the mid in either 2 or 3 weeks.

I was heading off to the fishin' hole when Jim was just launching. I've been tempted to get the season pass, but I like Castaic too and the fish average larger for me over there. I was just getting that lake dialed in when the cold water started making the conditions difficult for us even with DR'rs. I like being able to go back and forth. I would probably try Silverwood more, even with the drive, but the worry over inspection is a pain. My live/bait well is really hard to drain and its a lot of work getting it all totally dry.
I knew getting out of the gate that the dam would be difficult to fish and anchor and a bit scary. I was actually feeling that way coming around the point to the main lake feeling the wind blowing me sideways and slowing down...

DMS
03-10-2013, 11:38 AM
PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER WAIT FOR THE NICE DAY THEN ITS TIME TO SLAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT WILL BE TOMMOROW WHEN NOBODYS THERE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST ME AND MY FRESH DINES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BETTER WEATHER COMING NEXT SAT DAN,,,,,JIM LOSE TWO MORE TO THE LAKE AND YOU WILL BE UP THERE WITH ME, IVE JUST ALWAYS TOOK IT AS A OFFERING TO POSIEDON,,,,,,,,,,

Looks like next week will be Sunday for me... my daughter wants to try again and Saturday is a conflict for her. Speaking of next week... do you know if the lake hours are changing now with DST and longer days?
Wish I could go out during the week more like when I was self employed!

flyhigh123
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I figure that I've been going to the mid so much that winters in the future ill fish there and castaic when it warms up. I'm assuming Ill get a season pass there too. Damn this expensive hobby!

flyhigh123
03-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Looks like next week will be Sunday for me... my daughter wants to try again and Saturday is a conflict for her. Speaking of next week... do you know if the lake hours are changing now with DST and longer days?
Wish I could go out during the week more like when I was self employed!

I think the guy told me 7am to 6pm?

Bassfan
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Speaking of next week... do you know if the lake hours are changing now with DST and longer days?

I asked at the gate as I went in yesterday and the girl said they will still be opening at 7 and will stay open one hour later.

HawgZWylde
03-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Hey don't give up dude, I lost one at DVL a year ago January and found it last January. A lot of cleaning later and both work perfectly but the rod suffered a small amount of cosmetic damage to the cork and finish, but the reel is fine...

fishinone
03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
That beats the black and white weasel that I got at the.

Jim, Did you loose the rod to a fish or just throw it overboard?

Bassfan
03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
That beats the black and white weasel that I got at the.

Jim, Did you loose the rod to a fish or just throw it overboard?

Throw it overboard!! I was stressed but not crazy! I was holding the anchor rope and it came up when I was repositioning and caught the rod just right to flip it uot of the rod holder. This morning I remembered I still had bait on the hook so if a fish ate the bait he may have dragged my rod all over the lake.