PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Rainbows on Slip Bobber - video report

Calicanuck
03-09-2013, 01:24 AM
Went up to big bear last Sunday and just put the video up. We were fishing slip bobbers with night crawlers. We managed to catch some rainbows, but the bobbers were not going down like crazy by any means. For now cast as far out as you can. Good Luck. In this video I also do a how to on slip bobbers if you've never used them before.

http://youtu.be/yiPf8LBcz64

gamekiller
03-09-2013, 04:59 AM
Congratulations on another slay day up at Bear. Another detailed and informative video.

.......Pm'd

dkinla
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
wow thanks for the great vid! Now I finally understand how the whole slip bobber thing works! haha...

do you like to use any scent on your 1/2 nightcrawlers at all? and I guess if you're fishing from shore... a great place to use this rig is near the dam where it gets pretty deep, right?

thanks again!

geedavell
03-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Good info but that looks like a HUMUNGOUS weight for that bobber. Does it still float with that much weight on there? (Or was that for demo purposes only?)

Bassman1414
03-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Awesome!That video was very imformational.Keep them coming please!

TUNAVIC
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Cool and informative vid,thanks.

Cya TunaVc

Calicanuck
03-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Good info but that looks like a HUMUNGOUS weight for that bobber. Does it still float with that much weight on there? (Or was that for demo purposes only?)

Yeah that was a large weight and the bobber may not float with that one on. Only for demonstration. I believe the bobber will float with a 3/8oz weight. I like using the largest one that the bobber will float than I am able to cast it out further from shore to where the fish are, also the fish feels less resistance as well when taking the bait.

do you like to use any scent on your 1/2 nightcrawlers at all? and I guess if you're fishing from shore... a great place to use this rig is near the dam where it gets pretty deep, right?

thanks again!

I don’t put any scent on the worm, just straight out of the package on to the hook. Sometimes the ones that are all smashed up after a few bites work the best as well. I’ve caught fish on slip bobbers at big bear by the dam, off the piers in boulder bay and at the launch ramps, off the jetty, and off the shore in several locations. Also this method really shines in the summer time out on the boat floating off the white bouys or drifting from the bouy line to the west launch. In the summer use powerbait, seems to work better for me than worms.

geedavell
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Although I don't have the best of luck there, I love Big Bear and Lake Gregory. Without driving 6 hours to the Sierra, you can't beat the scenery and atmosphere of the San Berdo mountains. I can't wait til it warms a bit to take my new float tube up there !
( And don't forget the fantastic roads up the for dual-sports!)

Cowboy Hookup
03-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Another great video, always enjoy your vids. Haven't commented on threads for awhile but really appreciate this instructional, pro-style and had to comment. You mentioned using bobber stops and having the sinker 8-15 feet below the bobber. If that's the case, I take it you probably reel up the line with the bobber stopper on your reel. My question is when casting does your line ever get snagged on the stopper in the spool and prevent you from casting far? I fish the San Gabriel Valley Lakes and I'm still waitin to hit up the Bear or the Greg. Thanks Ehhh!

Calicanuck
03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
You mentioned using bobber stops and having the sinker 8-15 feet below the bobber. If that's the case, I take it you probably reel up the line with the bobber stopper on your reel. My question is when casting does your line ever get snagged on the stopper in the spool and prevent you from casting far?

You are right that can be a problem, but there is a simple way to avoid that problem I've figured out. When using a spinning reel pay attention to the bobber stop when coming on to the reel and push it down to the base of the spool as the line goes around. That way when casting the line is less likely to caught on the stopper. It is frustrating without this tip to have your cast stop short, or line snap due to interference of the stopper. If you don't understand I can draw a picture to explain.

geedavell
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
You are right that can be a problem, but there is a simple way to avoid that problem I've figured out. When using a spinning reel pay attention to the bobber stop when coming on to the reel and push it down to the base of the spool as the line goes around. That way when casting the line is less likely to caught on the stopper. It is frustrating without this tip to have your cast stop short, or line snap due to interference of the stopper. If you don't understand I can draw a picture to explain.

One good thing about a float tube! You can drop your line where you want to and kick away. No casting needed. Thats not what i do all the time....but if needed.
Let me know and I'll bring my old tube for you to try out up there.

Calicanuck
03-10-2013, 04:18 PM
One good thing about a float tube! You can drop your line where you want to and kick away. No casting needed. Thats not what i do all the time....but if needed.
Let me know and I'll bring my old tube for you to try out up there.

Thanks for the offer, I go out on my kayak and do the same thing once the weather warms up. Drifting with the slip bobbers a couple feet from the boat is a lot of fun too. The floats disapear so fast that the rod is usually bent right over before you grab it from the holder during the summer.

Cowboy Hookup
03-12-2013, 12:13 AM

Hats off. Great tip! Keep the vids coming!

Risso
03-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Calicanuck,

I'm headed up to Big Bear next week for the first time and plan to use this slip bobber approach. We're staying in Boulder Bay. Any other tips for this area? Looks like the weather temps will be dropping back down to the 40's.

Thanks in advance!

Calicanuck
03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Calicanuck,

I'm headed up to Big Bear next week for the first time and plan to use this slip bobber approach. We're staying in Boulder Bay. Any other tips for this area? Looks like the weather temps will be dropping back down to the 40's.

Thanks in advance!

So if you get there early in the day start out shallow with your stopper, 8 feet down. Then very it during the day to increase you action. I go deeper when the sun is at its highest mid day, down to 15 feet. If you see fish swimming around near the surface you can try putting it at 4-5 feet down which works sometimes if they are very active. With the temps on the down swing though they may be less active and you may not catch as many as on a warming trend. Good luck up their. Also if the slip bobber is not working try something else. Don't sit there all day using the same thing if you aren't seeing any bites on that bobber.

Risso
03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, I'll definitely be using different methods. We'll be there for four days, so plenty of time to experiment. I just picked up some bolsa bobbers today. This will be my son's first time fishing a lake, so he'll be learning a lot this weekend! By the way, do you ever use power worms with this technique, or always real worms?

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Calicanuck
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes, I'll definitely be using different methods. We'll be there for four days, so plenty of time to experiment. I just picked up some bolsa bobbers today. This will be my son's first time fishing a lake, so he'll be learning a lot this weekend! By the way, do you ever use power worms with this technique, or always real worms?

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Just real worms.

fishfinder
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
... a great place to use this rig is near the dam where it gets pretty deep, right?

thanks again!

Last time i fished slip bobbers at the dam it was only 40' deep in the middle. there is a lot of silt built up by the dam over the years. The water was low back then. you could see the old dam.

rmnv505
03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
good info calicanuck I will be going up on saturday morning and staying overnight in big bear probably fishing sunday morning as well...I may give this method a go.

thanks again.

Risso
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would share a video of my son catching his first fish of many more to come! We didn't have any luck with the slip-bobber technique, but they were biting just fine on garlic eggs!

http://youtu.be/Xy_X2gCl8KA

The Fishing Queen
03-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Very neat video with great info. Thanks for sharing!