PDA

View Full Version : cellular signals in eastern sierra areas

smokinflies
03-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Looking into changing my wireless carrier (verizon) to a lower rate carrier. Thinking of using t-mobile.

Can you guys help me out and share what carrier you're using and post what areas in the e.seirras(lakes/campsites) you received celluar signals where you had no signals.

I'm able to receive a wireless signal with verizon at Silver Lake campsite and through the whole june loop. Don't think I got one at Lundy or Virginia Lakes.

Thanks for your help.

MexicanPistachio
03-09-2013, 02:42 AM
I have verizon and get service @ intake 2, rock creek lodge, mc gee creek campground, all of mammoth lakes and lee vining. Tmobile gets little to no service up there.

Kingfish Addict
03-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Service is spotty in the Sierras because of all the hills and peaks, comes and goes no matter the carrier. I have verizon, a lot of times I would have full bars, hike a quarter mile then all of a sudden no bars. Obviously, better signal out in the open...

flytyingreloader
03-16-2013, 11:15 PM
I use Verizon, and it is fairly effective anywhere near U.S. 395. Effectiveness recedes as you get away from the highway or towns. There is currently underway a construction project called Digital 395 that seeks to expand/upgrade digital services along the 395 corridor from Barstow/4 Corners to Reno. It is some years from completion, and I'm unsure what effect its launch will have on cellular service.

Kingfish Addict
03-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Just got back from Lone Pine Creek Campground this weekend and no signal there, maybe 1 out of 6 of my text messages went through. Owens River, great signal. It's all about openness up there, get close to any steep hills or canyons and you're screwed.

flytyingreloader
03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Bridgeport area is same way for me. Drive up toward Twin Lakes, and my signal craps out about 4 miles outside town.

Piss on Myspace
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I have verizon while two of my fishing buddies have T-Mobile and a pay as you go....needless to say, from bishop to B-port, they had to borrow my phone everywhere we went...T-Mobile sucks in general, not just the sierras