PDA

View Full Version : Lower Owens and PVR 3/6-3/7

kenny8308
03-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Me and a friend went to check out the lower owens and PVR for the first time ever. Spent most of the first day on the lower owens trying to find some honey holes. Ended up finding one spot the kept us busy for a couple of hours everything else was pretty much a bust. They were all stockers so im sure a lot of stuff would have worked but we banged em out with minnows. Went and checked into the hotel and then headed to PVR. There it was mostly 7-9 in browns but them damn things are scrappy. My buddy also ended up with a 2-2.5lb brown...bastard. Day two we decided to just fish PVR. Caught a couple of browns at the same spot as the day before but all small ones. Then we moved and tried about 10 more spots until we found the rainbow glory hole. Fished the area for about 4 hours and stayed busy the hole time. Ended up with a 3lb+ rainbow. My buddy hooked a mean arse fish with crazy head shakes had to be an easy 6 but he spit about 15 seconds in, just long enough to show us his meat head. Any lure with gold in it was the ticket. Well we had a great time for never being there before and it was a great way to get the season started early. Thanks for reading.

retired96
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I just had a week fishing the Lower Owens and the fishing was great,, caught and released over 100 fish in 7 days but nothing of any size.

geedavell
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the report. I've been to Bishop/Mammoth area many times but never fished PVR. Now I definitely want to try it out !
I heard it's a good place for tubing?

billy b
03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
maybe a DUHmb question ... "minnows"??? I didn't think they were legal ... Where did you get them?

billy b
03-09-2013, 06:49 AM
I just had a week fishing the Lower Owens and the fishing was great,, caught and released over 100 fish in 7 days but nothing of any size.

Wonder if you were the one that stopped to chat ... you probably did with a lot of folk (lol). I was fishing the Lower on Thursday ... when you drove by. I'm 6'2 with the appropriate color of hair for a retd person You were in a white vehicle (maybe?) ... said you had been hitting some holes

kenny8308
03-09-2013, 07:15 AM
maybe a DUHmb question ... "minnows"??? I didn't think they were legal ... Where did you get them?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Berkley174-PowerBait174-Minnow/1159851.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26fsch% 3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dberkley%2Bminno ws%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43000000152003860%26WT.srch%3D1 %26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dgoogle%257Cfis_Saltw ater%2BTackle%2BAcc_Soft%2BPlastic%257CUSA%26rid%3 D20%26pcrid%3D12987162378%26gclid%3DCPqCl9D177UCFV SVMgodiloAUw&Ntt=berkley+minnows&WTz_l=PPC.

They are little plastic minnows. The 2" ones work good for trout. I usually fish them with just a jig head unless there is too many snags then Ill put a small bobber on too. Thanks for the replies everyone.

retired96
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Wonder if you were the one that stopped to chat ... you probably did with a lot of folk (lol). I was fishing the Lower on Thursday ... when you drove by. I'm 6'2 with the appropriate color of hair for a retd person You were in a white vehicle (maybe?) ... said you had been hitting some holes

Don't recall possibly meeting you,, I drive a silver Kia Sorento. I did meet one man on Wednesday that was from Nevada in a white Jeep I think,,I think he said he was Reno

Kingfish Addict
03-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Me and a friend went to check out the lower owens and PVR for the first time ever. Spent most of the first day on the lower owens trying to find some honey holes. Ended up finding one spot the kept us busy for a couple of hours everything else was pretty much a bust. They were all stockers so im sure a lot of stuff would have worked but we banged em out with minnows. Went and checked into the hotel and then headed to PVR. There it was mostly 7-9 in browns but them damn things are scrappy. My buddy also ended up with a 2-2.5lb brown...bastard. Day two we decided to just fish PVR. Caught a couple of browns at the same spot as the day before but all small ones. Then we moved and tried about 10 more spots until we found the rainbow glory hole. Fished the area for about 4 hours and stayed busy the hole time. Ended up with a 3lb+ rainbow. My buddy hooked a mean arse fish with crazy head shakes had to be an easy 6 but he spit about 15 seconds in, just long enough to show us his meat head. Any lure with gold in it was the ticket. Well we had a great time for never being there before and it was a great way to get the season started early. Thanks for reading.

I knew you would have a great time, your experience sounds exactly like my first time fishing PVR and Lower Owens last year. I'm forever hooked on that place. I caught a 2lb rainbow on my 1st cast into PVR next to the dam, they were hitting just about every lure I threw at them. The landscape is kinda barren and not the prettiest, but you CANNOT beat the fishing there. I'm going up there next weekend for the Blake Jones derby, I can't wait!

FSHNLIC
03-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Been blake jonesn to get up there myself!!! Congrats on the first of many trips i'm sure!!

kenny8308
03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Definitely a great place to go in the winter. Will be back for sure. I'm already ready to go again...

billy b
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

PM sent ... hope you get it

pisces66
03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Fished PVR the past 2 weekends and found a couple spots on the stream section where the bite was wide open. My wife landed a 3lb Rainbow which gave her a nice fight. It's great to have a wife that enjoys fishing (she still will not touch any live bait though) almost as much as I do. I was tempted to enter the Blake Jones Derby tomorrow, but not sure how crazy it gets with all the participants. Will be interested in reading the posts about the derby this weekend. Anxiously waiting on the general trout season opening in April!