PDA

View Full Version : Isabella

Pinekap
03-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Hello All.

Just bought a new trailer and was thinking about heading up to Aux dam. Was just wondering if there is water in the lake and if it is worth the trip.

Should i bring my Yaks? Is there anything biting on the lake?

Mostly just want to try out the new Trailer and possibly get some fishing in.

Thanks

Pinekap

Caliyak
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
The Bakersfield Californian has weekly, Fridays, fishing reports. The last report 3/1/13 for Isabella was:

LAKE ISABELLA: The crappie bite has been spotty this past week but the warmer weather could turn this bite back one. Most of the action has been in 35-40 feet of water on live minnows. Still light pressure. The catfish bite is getting all the attention and it continues to be good with the best bite on live minnows and frozen shad. The fish are mostly from 1-8 to two pounds with an occasional bigger fish. Overall slow action on other species with the odd quality largemouth bass showing on bigger swimbaits.

Bayrunner Ray
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I was visiting my brother in Weldon, and after some catching up, we went down to photograph the lake with all the structure showing... We were there during the Whiskey flats celebration and seemed empty at the Aux Dam. I threw a line out at South Fork ramp for two sits of 20 minutes and nothing cruised by my crawler except the wind.

Take the camera along and record all the trees that are popping up all over the place.

Good luck....

Hello All.

Just bought a new trailer and was thinking about heading up to Aux dam. Was just wondering if there is water in the lake and if it is worth the trip.

Should i bring my Yaks? Is there anything biting on the lake?

Mostly just want to try out the new Trailer and possibly get some fishing in.

Thanks

Pinekap

Pinekap
03-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure if i should make the trip up there or not. Hmm where else to go this time of year.

Pinekap

flytyingreloader
03-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Wife and I were there Sunday (3/3) for a daytrip/scouting bit, and the launch ramp near the main dam was usable. It wasn't cold, but not many people around for a Sunday. The last 2 days have been windy as h--l, and that is supposed to re-start on Saturday as this storm that is arriving tonight takes its exit. The lake could use some water, for sure......but it is fishable and usable at present--just not "ideal".

Caliyak
03-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Pine, if you are coming to the central valley to fish consider Lake Success, Lake Kaweah, or Pine Flats in Tulare County. And if you want to really test the trailor, Hensley, Eastman, Millerton in Fresno. You have Kings River around Lemoore. If you have to stay in Kern, Buena Vista and Isabella are probably the best option.

Pinekap
03-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Caliyak,

I would love to goto those places but they get kinda far for a Friday night to sunday trip, I am coming up from the los Angeles area.

Pine

Hometown
03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Lake Cachuma in Santa Barbra is nice

Pinekap
03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Agreed Hometown, I am supposed to go there in april for the derby also, so may not be a bad idea to go prefish.

I have never been to Big Bear, Are there any good places to stay in a trailer up there?

Pinekap

flytyingreloader
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
There may be some private sites at BBL open this early, but the USFS campgrounds aren't normally open until May 1. Big Bear is by far my favorite SoCal lake for fishing, but a lot of its facilities don't get up and running until 5/1 owing to the colder climate and higher elevation (6750') than the other SoCal waters. I would check the Big Bear Municipal Water District site online for info on lake use and watercraft permits.

Living in Ridgecrest, Isabella is the closest lake to my home. I still hit BBL at least 3X a year, though.

Caliyak
03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Caliyak,

I would love to goto those places but they get kinda far for a Friday night to sunday trip, I am coming up from the los Angeles area.

Pine

Try nacimiento, that lake is great for a weekend

Fishin Magician
03-08-2013, 07:51 AM
The lake is definetely usable. Just had a trout plant a week ago. Catfish and crappie are both bitingin ths trees. Good time to map out structure for later in the season.