PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Late March

CrownTown
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Heading up to big bear with a few friends towards the end of march for spring break, and was wondering is anyone knows if anything else besides trout will bite when the water is still real cold. I know small mouth like the cold water, but would this still be too early? I'd like to catch bass, but crappie, trout and even catfish would be fun too. I will be fishing from the shore and maybe a few docks. Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to PM me (I have no idea what to throw for bass up there or how deep to fish, so any advice would be nice).

RTG
03-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Heading up to big bear with a few friends towards the end of march for spring break, and was wondering is anyone knows if anything else besides trout will bite when the water is still real cold. I know small mouth like the cold water, but would this still be too early? I'd like to catch bass, but crappie, trout and even catfish would be fun too. I will be fishing from the shore and maybe a few docks. Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to PM me (I have no idea what to throw for bass up there or how deep to fish, so any advice would be nice).
Good luck on the bass. Water is pretty cold for that in March. Fished there a couple of days ago with a buddy...we caught 9 rainbows. Didn't keep them all. Big, wild fish up to about 17 inches. Use tiny jigs or flies. Stay out of the creeks, though. They are closed to fishing now.

CrownTown
03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I appreciate the info RTG, I may bring my fly rod if I don't need to get it out too far. If the trout are biting that well and they are good size, It sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing