PDA

View Full Version : Blake Jones Trout Derby---Anyone ever go?

geedavell
03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
While doing some research on Pleasant Valley Reservoir, I found this. Anyone ever been before?

http://www.bishopvisitor.com/fishingBlake.php

bcoy61
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
every year for the past 15 years, and we have a great time.. we've gone from just a few of us to a family gathering... try to make it you'll have a great time...

Kingfish Addict
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
While doing some research on Pleasant Valley Reservoir, I found this. Anyone ever been before?

http://www.bishopvisitor.com/fishingBlake.php

Went to last years derby for the 1st time, had so much fun that I'm going again this year. I definitely recommend it, you won't be disappointed!!

geedavell
03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
It sounds like you can float tube in there?
I heard you have to carry all your gear about 2 miles?

lydnbob
03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
you can tube in the pvr its about 3/4 mile walk from the upper end lil less from lower but you go up a good hill its a great event for the local businesses but you have to like crowds..almost like opening day went once and it was enough for me...i will go before and after and have always done well...caught a 7 lb rainbow from there two years ago...they do alot of stocking prior and never heard of anyone not doing well for that weekend good luck but dont expect a nice quiet fishing weekend

geedavell
03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
you can tube in the pvr its about 3/4 mile walk from the upper end lil less from lower but you go up a good hill its a great event for the local businesses but you have to like crowds..almost like opening day went once and it was enough for me...i will go before and after and have always done well...caught a 7 lb rainbow from there two years ago...they do alot of stocking prior and never heard of anyone not doing well for that weekend good luck but dont expect a nice quiet fishing weekend

Hahahaha
That was my next question, how crowded is it. You answered my question. I'll defiantly try PVR next time I go to the Sierra but I kinda go up there for the peace and quite. The 2nd week of September is the best time.( all the kiddies are back in school)

lydnbob
03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
if you want peace and quiet fish the river below not many do with any luck but if you know how you can catch 20-30 browns in a day with know problem...just have to be willing to lose alot of hooks and sinkers...but its fun to watch some poor guy been sitting there drowning powerbait while you throw a few brownies back into the river

TroutOnly
03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
IT IS A GREAT TROUT EVENT TO FISH WITH LOTS OF NICE TROUT AND GREAT PRIZES,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE UP THERE FISHING TODAY AND CAUGHT A COUPLE NICE ALPERS PIGS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IVE FISHED THE PVR SINCE THE EARLY 70'S THIS IS TIME TIME OF THE YEAR FOR GREAT FISHING,,,,,,,,,,

lydnbob
03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
get one of those hogs out of the river....thats a blast

sierraslam
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Been going the last 3 years. They stock the heck out of the lower Owens and PVR for the derby. Everyone catches fish!

billy b
03-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Been going the last 3 years. They stock the heck out of the lower Owens and PVR for the derby. Everyone catches fish!

What parts of the LO do they stock? Like the wild section? East of Hiway 6 on down?

Do y'all like the lower PVR or the upper gorge(eous) - power plant area?

sierraslam
03-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I believe they stock from 5 bridges all the the way down to Collins Rd. in various places.

lydnbob
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
where the roads cross the river at 5 bridges and down but if you hike back in from the roads you can get some nice fish...dont be afraid to go up river from the stock areas

lydnbob
03-11-2013, 09:21 PM
it is hard and frustrating to fish the lower owens but once you figure it out it is one of the best areas to fish in calif i can go all day without seeing another person and can catch 30 fish in a day very tough but rewarding if you have the knowhow pvr is one of the better lakes also not as pretty but fun to fish....lots of nice browns if you know the tricks...i have been going to the river/res since i was 13 and i am 54 now and it is one of the best fisheries in all of calif

Kingfish Addict
03-11-2013, 10:53 PM
What parts of the LO do they stock? Like the wild section? East of Hiway 6 on down?

Do y'all like the lower PVR or the upper gorge(eous) - power plant area?

Last year my buddy and I fished near the dam and had killer success. I limited out in about 1 hour then put away the powerbait and fished with only Kastmasters and killed it. Never fished the inlet near the gorge but that's where I want to fish the derby next weekend. My only concern is that area will probably be choked with float tubers, if so then we'll just keep walking down the road until we find some space to post up.