PDA

View Full Version : video editing program to use for GoPro mp4 files

Stitch
03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm currently using a gopro2 with a microsd class to memory card. I've recorded a few tubing clips and they're saved as mp4 format. Unfortunately this isn't "windows" friendly and I can't open it. I read about the codec h.264 missing from many of the players. Can anyone recommend a program that I can use to convert the mp4 file to like avi/wmv..etc...

I've tried many different types of converter programs and no luck...

Thanks for the look in advance!

Stitch
03-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I meant microSD class 10 memory card above. Thanks!

Ulua1
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I meant microSD class 10 memory card above. Thanks!

Hey Stitch,

Had the same problem. Got me a GoPro hero3 black and as you explained it records as mp4.
I used converter lite which was really simple to use which I found after going through about 3 converter softwares and it worked. I found converting them to wmv was much easier to work with for both windows live movie maker and youtube. Hope that helps.

Also might wanna check the go pro site, thought I seen some kind of converter software or something of that sort. Since I had all my software working didn't pay much attention to it so not sure on the exact details but converter lite did the trick for me and video quality was still amazing.

Anyhow feel free to ask me anything about the go pro, I'm no pro but any help is good... oh yeah btw a quick tip had some wifi remote problems after downloading the update they refer you to, if you had this problem just pair the remote to your camera again. Instruction are in the PDF manual on their site.

Best and right lines!

DarkShadow
03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Windows doesn't have a native client that handles mp4 files?

I thought mp4 files were pretty standard nowadays?

Ulua1
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

I thought the same as well. My laptop played it when my SD card was inserted but it was extremely choppy, reminded me of a scratched disk :) as soon as I dragged it to my video folder, removed the SD card and tried to play it 2 things happened. 1st it said windows does not recognize the file format then next when it did open I could hear it but was looking at a black screen.

IncredibleHuck
03-05-2013, 03:48 PM

I have no problem using Windows 7 and MP4s.

DarkShadow
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I have no problem using Windows 7 and MP4s.

That's what i figured.

A lot of people must be still using older OS's.

I thought the same as well. My laptop played it when my SD card was inserted but it was extremely choppy, reminded me of a scratched disk :) as soon as I dragged it to my video folder, removed the SD card and tried to play it 2 things happened. 1st it said windows does not recognize the file format then next when it did open I could hear it but was looking at a black screen.

That's interesting, because it makes no sense why it would play off the SD card, but once it was put on the HD, it didn't.

And that's why I switched to MacOS after Windows 3.1. Too many "WTF" incidences.

Ulua1
03-05-2013, 04:26 PM
That's what i figured.

A lot of people must be still using older OS's.

That's interesting, because it makes no sense why it would play off the SD card, but once it was put on the HD, it didn't.

And that's why I switched to MacOS after Windows 3.1. Too many "WTF" incidences.

Absolutely makes no sense, still can't figure it out myself... running windows 7, should ave bought a mac

IncredibleHuck
03-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Absolutely makes no sense, still can't figure it out myself... running windows 7, should ave bought a mac

LOL MACS are the answer to everything.:Rolls Eyes:

I transfered mine right over no problem, I use a FLIP video and they are also MP4. WHat were you going to use to edit it? Windows movie maker?

Ulua1
03-05-2013, 04:53 PM

I transfered mine right over no problem, I use a FLIP video and they are also MP4. WHat were you going to use to edit it? Windows movie maker?

Lol for sure man, been having so many issues just getting the videos going for the go pro videos I shot. Yeah using windows live movie maker. Do your videos ever freak out on mp4? When I am able to watch it when I have the SD inserted, keeps skipping and its super choppy.
Maybe my computer just can't handle lol.

DarkShadow
03-05-2013, 07:17 PM

No, not everything.

Just photo editing, rendering, music production, video editing and production, etc.

I love my PC at work. Those TPS Reports need to get knocked out and I can't find a better machine than my Dell that'll handle that.

Phishinghookz
03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Lol for sure man, been having so many issues just getting the videos going for the go pro videos I shot. Yeah using windows live movie maker. Do your videos ever freak out on mp4? When I am able to watch it when I have the SD inserted, keeps skipping and its super choppy.
hey bro what computer do you have. and what are the specs? you may or may not have the right specs on your comp to handle the HD quality. If your cpu has an onboard graphics card (amd or nvidia) you might wanna download and install the latest drivers. that may help a little tho...

Jbfish
03-06-2013, 12:33 AM

im no computer wizz but seems like you need an i7 processor :) *JBfish*

Ulua1
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
hey bro what computer do you have. and what are the specs? you may or may not have the right specs on your comp to handle the HD quality. If your cpu has an onboard graphics card (amd or nvidia) you might wanna download and install the latest drivers. that may help a little tho...

Thanks bro will definitely check out those drivers! Yeah running an HP 2000 w/ amd.looking to get a new one soon though.

im no computer wizz but seems like you need an i7 processor :) *JBfish*

Thanks jbfish just tried it on my friends Samsung running the i7's looks like that's it worked like a charm! Guess I'll be looking for a new laptop luckily the one I got was a gift!

Stitch
03-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the input fellas. After trying over a dozen converter programs. I finally given up and think it's the actual MicroSD card that may be the issue. I'm running Windows 7 with a I7 processor, maxed out RAM and updated Nvdia driver. When I even try to open up the MP4 files that GoPro2 capture, almost 95% of the converter programs won't even accept it. Imma try another MicroSD card out and see what happens, this time a name brand one... keep you guys posted. Thanks!