PDA

View Full Version : Caples Lake Ice Fishing Report

Calicanuck
03-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Went up to Tahoe last weekend and did some Ice fishing on Sunday. This was my first time every ice fishing in California. I picked a spot by the spillway, but wasn't marking many fish on the Marcum and no bites. A couple of guys came out and said I should try in closer like they were. I started to catch them like crazy after that. Caught three rainbows on a gold kastmaster with meal worm and 7 on the Jaw Jacker with a small jig and tiny piece of worm. They were really going after that set up. The guys who told me to try by them missed a few and caught one. Said they caught 11 the weekend before between 4 guys. Seemed like I was the only one with the hot bite on though this weekend.

So if you're heading up there try by the spillway and very close to shore, about 5-10 feet deep.

Check out the video for some ice fishing action.

http://youtu.be/wub9EdD9Kgg

http://youtu.be/wub9EdD9Kgg

Calicanuck

Marley
03-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Cool! That looks like fun.

Jbfish
03-03-2013, 10:19 PM
That's awesome!! Cool setup also!! Haha I have an Ice pole that I use when hiking to keep in my backpack.. I got a cheap on online for $25. And the reel is a POS.. Lol what kind of ice rod do you have and if it's a good quality rod reel combo where can I get one?

Calicanuck
03-03-2013, 10:50 PM
That's awesome!! Cool setup also!! Haha I have an Ice pole that I use when hiking to keep in my backpack.. I got a cheap on online for $25. And the reel is a POS.. Lol what kind of ice rod do you have and if it's a good quality rod reel combo where can I get one?

Thanks.

Actually since I do most of my ice fishing up in Canada I have a bunch of rods up there. Brought three down with me this last time. So I don't think you can buy them in California. Probably just online, maybe outdoor world or cabelas. I like the quantum ice reals the best, the rods are all decent, from HT, fabrill, berkley, fenwick, ugly stick. Just depends how much you want to spend.