PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of trout do you prefer?

fishermanx14
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Would you rather catch the steroid filled trout in the mud hole pay lakes? Or would you rather catch trout up in the serrias, big bear etc.

I think the more "natural" trout (big bear, serrias) taste better and fight harder,

I know the "natural" trout are stocked.

I don't find it very fun when they stock a lake and they get pulled out as fast as they were stocked....and as far as steroids go...you mean to tell me that when the stock 20lb lightning trout thats natural?

just doesn't seem very appealing to me....i would rather get skunked in big bear or catch some dinks than catch some freak of nature out of a pay lake

Christian

FKNChristopH
02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I like both. The natural scenery of big bear and stream fishing is a different aspect in comparison to a "trophy" trout. I've fished both and will continue to fish both. I will admit, I've never fished sierra's or mammoth so I do not know all the experiences.

*shakka*

fishermanx14
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
I like both. The natural scenery of big bear and stream fishing is a different aspect in comparison to a "trophy" trout. I've fished both and will continue to fish both. I will admit, I've never fished sierra's or mammoth so I do not know all the experiences.

*shakka*
man you gotta try it, once you do you will be hooked

bowler
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM

He is right. The Sierra and mammoth has the best trout fishing around.

Troutin Man
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM

I agree. Nothin' like being in the Sierras. Hittin' up rivers, creeks, pools, and lakes up there is like no other. Going to pay lakes is fun too, but the feeling of open air and the smell of pine with the sound of roaring or trickling water is fantastic!

Hike the Sierras, wear a vest and stick a rod and reel in your backpack. I usually use a tie to hold the two pieces of the rod together. Eat some beef jerky and dried fruit along the way. Munch on a granola bar and fish open water. Sweet.

I recommend the Sierras pho show.

auntrout
02-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Eastern Sierras rivers and creeks are worth the drive from So Cal.

oldschoolfishin'
02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
if/when you are able to hook, and even land, a large trout in crowley, hot creek, upper or lower owens river in the sierras you have become a real (reel) person who can fish. it takes skill to catch fish in a more natural setting where the fish see plenty of fisherman, and lots of bait, lures, and flies. the put/take lakes are fine, they serve the public that likes to be there, they are readily available, it puts money in the dfg coffers, and if they were not popular they would not exist. i would take my non-fishing friends, or our grandkids there to fish as they are more likely to have success, and thereby get hooked. sorry for the puns. i would rather catch a few 12 inchers in the upper owens, than land a 20 lb fish in corona et al. after fishing for many years i prefer the challenge of fooling large trout in the catch, and release rivers like hot creek, or upper owens.

Kingfish Addict
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Agree with most everyone on this thread. There's nothing like going up to the Sierras, throwing on a backpack and going on a several mile hike along Rock Creek, Lower Owens or any of the hundreds of creeks/lakes up there and fishing every spot you see along the way. Last year, I went up there for the first time with a couple buddies and I am forever addicted to the sierra scenery and fishing. You cannot beat the quality and beautiful color of the browns and brookies up there. I advise anyone who hasn't been up there to try it at least once. Stop by Pleasant Valley Reservoir on your way up there and give that a shot also, I had the best 3 hour fishing session of my life at the dam by the power generator. I'll be going again for the Blake Jones derby in 2 weeks....

As far as pay lakes go, I've never been but have wanted to try them just for the sheer size of the fish they stock. I guarantee you it still doesn't compare to fishing the Sierras though....

Fishbones
02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
"you better not say trouser".....

dk4885
02-27-2013, 09:42 AM
i prefer 8 to 10 inch rainbows, perfect for bait.. lol

Fishbones
02-27-2013, 09:46 AM
good ole Arkansas Anchovy, them bucket mouths really love emm,,,,,, yeehaww...

Skyler
02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
I prefer wild trout from our local streams. I occasionally fish the sierras, but I know so many good local spots it's hard to justify. You don't have to go to Bishop to catch an 18" brown, he he he.

gzank6
02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I just got into fishing a few years ago... tagged along with a buddy to the sierra's... bishop creek area, hooked on it immediately. I don't get up there as much as I'd like but its great when I do. We hike up to a remote lake and catch some golden's that you don't see much. I don't hit up the pay lakes... occasionally some city parks with no luck and the san gabriel river with I really enjoy. I want to check out santa ana up in big bear sometime.

DMAN
02-28-2013, 04:40 PM
I prefer my Trout the way I prefer my women, naive and dumb enough to swallow my bait :)

TroutOnly
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
SIERRA GERMAN BROWNS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

harlanx1
02-28-2013, 04:59 PM
is that catfish bait or striper bait. lol

FSHNLIC
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
It's got to be the Big Bad Brown!!!!

fishinone
02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
I prefer big fish with full tails.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20with%20Doug%2011-25-11/26inchtrout.jpg

FKNChristopH
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Well, I just finished school, so when I get a job and funds.. I'll make the trip. I'll pack my fly rod and mini jig rod. That fish looks killer. The longer slender body, with the full tails are just sick. I think I already have a planned trip with a friend in May. We'll see. Stand by to stand by..

*shakka*

Leejahd
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Well, I just finished school, so when I get a job and funds.. I'll make the trip. I'll pack my fly rod and mini jig rod. That fish looks killer. The longer slender body, with the full tails are just sick. I think I already have a planned trip with a friend in May. We'll see. Stand by to stand by..

*shakka*

Am I that friend ?;)

muskyman
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Nothing beats brown trout fishing on lake michigan. 10-20lb fish are the norm. My personal best is 21lbs. Use calif techniques and you will knock em dead

Kingfish Addict
03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Nothing beats brown trout fishing on lake michigan. 10-20lb fish are the norm. My personal best is 21lbs. Use calif techniques and you will knock em dead

Wow, nice fish and awesome tail on that thing. Beautiful water too...

fishinone
03-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Nice! That is big with a full tail.

I fished Lake Michigan with my brother in-law one time. I couldn't believe how clean it was. We were just north of Chicago, we could see it. I looked over the side and there was a Coke can laying on the bottom at 60ft. We limited out on 6-7lb Cohos in just a little while.

Stormcrow
03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I prefer the kind of trout that gets inhaled by a 12lb female largemouth or a 35lb striper :-)

muskyman
03-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I do agree with you on that one...... watching trout get inhaled at Castaic and some of the other lakes, ya that is down right cool. But I do have to say sometimes when I am on lake michigan, and I cannot see another boat as far as the eye can see.................it is pretty awesome. Considering I use to sit in line to launch the boat only to take my turn fishing a point that 35 other boats just got finished fishing.