PDA

View Full Version : What mainland launch ramp is closest to Avalon?

Greg Madrigal
09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Also, the smoothest ride home.:)

Beeracuda211
09-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Greg, you better have plenty of gas, radios, emergency equip, all necessary survival stuff... LMAO... make sure you check the swells as well...

B/C

Greg Madrigal
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Done brudduh. :D

pyronut
09-07-2007, 08:21 PM
the easyest place with the shortest ride is either Cabrillo Beach launch or the launch by the Queen Mary. Either way you go you can stop and get bait at the recievers. It is approx 18 miles to long point from the San Pedro light, but keep an eye on the weather and swell it can get really snotty when you get a few miles out. Have a safe trip....

fishnfool
09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Greg .....Go as early as you can and try to be back across before noon......

Bring Finbait with you ,couldn't get it a couple weeks ago there only squid...or call LB Bait and see if they will have any over there

If you need gas Avalon is the only place to get it...plan ahead. I always take 20 gals. in cans with me.....cruisin around looking for fish can burn up the gas trust me, especially if you want to run to the backside..

if you plan on spending the night there are plenty of coves to anchor in, no need for a mooring, just make sure you have a good anchor,

wind kicks up in the afternoon and it can get real sloppy....most mornings are good to go but check the weather first......

maybe the wife and I can buddy boat with ya in the next couple weeks, Doing some repair work this weekend........

I launch at South Shores all the time now, Free washdown and not nearly as crowded as Daveys.....

if you launch at SS stay on the right side all the way out past the queen mary, Gets shallow in the middle during low tide, I found out the hard way first time there......:lol:

Good Luck and be safe

Brad100
09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
The original question hasn't been answered! lol

I launch out of Sunset at Huntington Harbor but don't know about the other ramps. Only point is it's not only the distance from the harbor entrance to Cat but how long it takes you to get out of the harbor. It's a LOOONNNGGG way from the Newport Dunes ramp to the harbor entrance.

Tail Chaser
09-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Cabrillo Ramp is the closest to Longpoint at Catalina. (Mid Island) That ramp is only for day use.
Heard So Shore ramp has had some problems with thiefs.
Then Davies ramp is good, maybe another mile or so further then Cabrillo of inside breakwater cruise.
All three of these ramps to Catalina will cross the same swell/winds across the channel.