PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing in lakes

SoCalFisher606
02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to expand my arsenal at some of the lakes I go to by breaking out the fly rod. I've never fly fished at lakes before, only in streams, so I'm kind of stumped on what to use. What are the flies some of you fly fishermen use in lakes when you're fishing for bass and panfish? I've seen some threads on here about people killing panfish on the fly in the springtime, but about when do the fish start waking up for the spring? I appreciate all the help, thank you

tree
02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
so far I've only ever had luck on wooly buggers, black, olive, and white.

Skyler
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Muddler minnows, wooley buggers, clousers, and most flashy streamers will work well. Use a sink tip line, weighted flies, or else pinch some shot 18" up. Also never underestimate the power of the lowly San Juan Worm. This pattern has done me well on bass, panfish, and trout. Dries can also be quite effective on calm water in the morning and evening. The same patterns that work for trout will work for panfish. The main trouble you will have is finding effective casting lanes. Often the slope of the bank can be problematic, even without trees behind you. A 9 foot rod is a plus.

Tubbytuba
02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Bead head nymphs of almost any kind will kill panfish. wollybuggers are good too bring a ton of colors and sizes, Olive seems to be the most effective but that does not mean the other colors wont out produce at times. sizes 14 down to size 4. bass will hit the bigger ones, panfish will hit the smaller ones. trout will also eat buggers, just needs to get in front of them, they also prefer small, shiny flies so again, bead head nymphs and shiny epoxy nymphs will slay too. don't forget top water flies, adams, hoppers, royal wolfs, elk hair caddis... i prefer trude patterns on lakes. again, sizes 14 through 6, dont toss something too big on top water, scare everything off if you do.