PDA

View Full Version : Salton Sea?

AngelTheSeaguy
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
So whats the deal with the Salton Sea? Is it still pretty much dead from what i have gathered online that's the impression i am getting.

DMS
02-25-2013, 12:51 PM
I believe the salinity has passed the point where Corvina, Croaker and Sargo can reproduce or even likely survive. the water entering it from the Alamo and New Rivers are very polluted with industrial waste, sewage and runoff from farms and other and there is little fresh water entering the sea from other places.
I understand that the water level continues to fall and the salinity continues to rise. Unbelievably, the tilapia, which must be the most durable fish on the planet still (from the reports) exist in large numbers and can be caught by the hundreds.
The area is dying (or already has) through poor conditions of various types.

Bottom line, if you go out there, you can probably catch a lot of tilapia. If you catch something else, it will probably make the news. You can eat those things at your own risk. I at some corvina from there about 25+ years ago and was starting to worry about the fitness back then. You will probably not enjoy the area and if you wait a few months, you will also roast if the smell doesn't get you first.

Unless the colorado river changes course, in my book, it is a thing of the past and I remember 2 great trips there in the day with Ray Garnett guiding us. The first trip, my car overheated on the way out too.

DMS

DarkShadow
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
DockRat, paging DockRat.

You are needed in Aisle 5 for Salton Sea cleanup.

Thatguy47
02-25-2013, 06:25 PM
I dont even fsh the sea any more, i usually just fsh the irigaton ditches. As far as i am concerned all hesea is good for is duck and goose hunting.

J-Dub
02-28-2013, 07:45 AM
one of the new episodes of River Monsters is filmed at the Salton Sea