PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on fishing Owens Valley later this week?

billy b
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Bishop to Lone Pine area

Where's good?
Aren't there some areas that are closed?
Isn't there a reservoir or two ... Tinnemaha or something?

Thanks for any help ... I'm just getting cabin fever up here ... and have to get out ... not much good on streams/river ... but will give it a try

THANKS much for any suggestions

kenny8308
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Ha was just gonna post a thread on this. Going up there the 6th and 7th and was wondering the same thing. I guess ill stand by and see what info comes through...good luck out there.

billy b
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Ha was just gonna post a thread on this. Going up there the 6th and 7th and was wondering the same thing. I guess ill stand by and see what info comes through...good luck out there.

I'll be there the 7th and 8th ...

Kingfish Addict
03-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Bishop to Lone Pine area

Where's good?
Aren't there some areas that are closed?
Isn't there a reservoir or two ... Tinnemaha or something?

Thanks for any help ... I'm just getting cabin fever up here ... and have to get out ... not much good on streams/river ... but will give it a try

THANKS much for any suggestions

If you don't like fishing stream/creek/river, then fish Pleasant Valley Reservoir a few miles north of Bishop. That place kicked butt for me last year, definitely some huge rainbows in there, great fishing. I recommend using lures, flies, and bait like powerbait or night crawlers. It's open year round but right now is the best time to go because the power generators are shut off for the next few months or so. The Lower Owens below Pleasant Valley Res. is great fishing also but like you said, you're not much of a river fisherman. If you do fish the Owens, put all your gear in a backpack because you'll probably walk several miles while fishing the river and be careful walking on the reeds and bluffs because some of them may collapse under your feet.

I've never fished Tinnemaha so I don't have any info on that lake.

All waters north of Pleasant Valley Res. are closed to fishing until the season opener on the last Saturday in April. Check out some of the sports/fishing shops along the 395 in Lone Pine or Big Pine, they'll have all the info on what you can and can't fish.

I'll also be going up there March 15-16 for the Blake Jones trout derby at Pleasant Valley Res. Try to go if you guys can, last year was epic despite the crappy weather.

Good Luck!!

kenny8308
03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. We're probably gonna start off at the lower Owens and eventually work our way up to bishop check in the motel and then go back to the Owens or check out pvr. It's just a lot of river to cover in two days. Hopefully we'll find some good holes. I'll post a report of some fish hopefully.

Kingfish Addict
03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. We're probably gonna start off at the lower Owens and eventually work our way up to bishop check in the motel and then go back to the Owens or check out pvr. It's just a lot of river to cover in two days. Hopefully we'll find some good holes. I'll post a report of some fish hopefully.

Cool, good luck! I absolutely love fishing that area. Yeah it's a lot of river to cover, my buddy and I probably walked between 5-10 miles the weekend we fished the Owens. I definitely recommend PVR if you guys have the time...looking forward to seeing your pics.