PDA

View Full Version : NBW Tourney at DVL 02-24-2013

FrazeIb1
02-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Had a good time fishing my first tourney (National Bass West) of the year at DVL. I have been catching some good fish lately and I figured I would give it a shot. I found a spot that was holding some good quality fish the day prior to the tourney and it was epic. I caught a 6lb and a few 3's back to back to back yesterday on 03-23-13. Today, instead of throwing the swim bait early this AM during the tourney I decided to hit this spot first thing to get a limit. My hot spot produced again but the quality of the fish wasn't there. I caught several 2 1/2 lb bass off of the spot and ended up with "bass thumb". I guess I crossed the bigger fish eyes to much the day prior. All in all it was a good tournament. 35 boats total. I ended up in 7th place. One spot outside the money.

If you looking for a nice tourney to join and have some fun without breaking the bank come on out and join us the next time. By the way there were some biggins caught during the tourney........

Click on the link below for tournament results

http://www.nationalbasswest.com/archive-of-tournament-results/124-dvllower/diamond-valley-lower-entry-tournament-results-2012-2013/470-february-24-2013

Here is the video of the 6+ pounder caught the day before the tourney in one of my hot spots........

http://youtu.be/VR3IBJPh3rI

Until next time tight lines.....

bassoholic
02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Had a good time fishing my first tourney (National Bass West) of the year at DVL. I have been catching some good fish lately and I figured I would give it a shot. I found a spot that was holding some good quality fish the day prior to the tourney and it was epic. I caught a 6lb and a few 3's back to back to back yesterday on 03-23-13. Today, instead of throwing the swim bait early this AM during the tourney I decided to hit this spot first thing to get a limit. My hot spot produced again but the quality of the fish wasn't there. I caught several 2 1/2 lb bass off of the spot and ended up with "bass thumb". I guess I crossed the bigger fish eyes to much the day prior. All in all it was a good tournament. 35 boats total. I ended up in 7th place. One spot outside the money.

If you looking for a nice tourney to join and have some fun without breaking the bank come on out and join us the next time. By the way there were some biggins caught during the tourney........

Click on the link below for tournament results

http://www.nationalbasswest.com/archive-of-tournament-results/124-dvllower/diamond-valley-lower-entry-tournament-results-2012-2013/470-february-24-2013

Until next time tight lines.....

Nicely done........keep it up and I'm sure you can give Pete a run for his money!!

Matt_Magnone
02-24-2013, 08:05 PM
thats what im talkin about boy!!!

glad we heckled you a bit at the shop yesterday. it paid off!

FrazeIb1
02-25-2013, 06:35 AM
thats what im talkin about boy!!!

glad we heckled you a bit at the shop yesterday. it paid off!

I know right......I wish I could have got one more bigger fish. Lots of fish caught in the 2 1/2 pound range.......

Pete Marino
02-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Good job getting 7th in your first tourney ever!! Thats something to be proud of especially since there were 32 boats..thats pretty good in my opinion. The lake is starting to open up.. I fished solely for prespawners today..and caught a total of 10 bass but they were all prespawners full of eggs. I didnt catch any rats or skinny ones.. I as I said targeted prespawners only and fished areas I know that always hold them before they move up on beds. Our best 5 would have been over 22lbs. its nice to see the good ones getting active..

Good job again on your good finish!!!

Pete

FrazeIb1
02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Good job getting 7th in your first tourney ever!! Thats something to be proud of especially since there were 32 boats..thats pretty good in my opinion. The lake is starting to open up.. I fished solely for prespawners today..and caught a total of 10 bass but they were all prespawners full of eggs. I didnt catch any rats or skinny ones.. I as I said targeted prespawners only and fished areas I know that always hold them before they move up on beds. Our best 5 would have been over 22lbs. its nice to see the good ones getting active..

Good job again on your good finish!!!

Pete

Thanks Pete......I had a good time and I learn more everytime I go out. I have to admit though this is not my first tourney ever. This is my first tourney of 2013.....I normally fish ABA and I have had a couple of top 10 finishes. My goal is to win 1st place one day soon. Hopefully sooner than later. I fish the Jewel pretty often and the day before the tourney I had a spot that produced some really nice fish. Went there first during the tourney at got a quick limit but the bigger fish just didn't cooperate. Next tourney I guess I'm gonna change up things a little because I know I can get a limit even in the tough conditions. The importance of a kicker fish with a (3) fish limit is the key. I caught several 2 1/2 pounders and couldn't upgrade my weight.........I look forward to the next tournament.......and good job Pete.....

Yot_bird
02-25-2013, 09:06 AM
With a 3 fish limit that 9 put a hurt on everyone.

Pete Marino
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Thats a fact Yot_Bird a 9lber in a 3 fish limit is tough to beat.. We had two 5lbers and a 4 lber... We culled out two 3lb 13oz bass and a 3 lb 12oz bass. On my scale my fish weighed 5lbs even , 5lbs 1 oz. and 4lbs 1 oz.. but officially they were slightly less because no cull rings. I told my wife that I figured we had enough to win UNLESS someone had a swimbait fish over 8 lbs..and sure enough the winners had that 9lber which was actually very close to 10 lbs. I knew a team had a 7lber b ecause I talked to them mid day on the lake but I figured our limit was consistant enough to make up the difference on that 7lber and we'd have a better total weight... BUT NOT FOR THAT GIANT 9lber. That is a beast!!!!

Fraze...my bad. I thought you meant "EVER"... come to think of it now I remember youve fished some before...my bad.. Good job none the less. Word of unsolicited advice....STOP STICKING FISH THE DAY BEFORE A TOURNAMENT... STICKING FISH THE DAY BEFORE AN EVENT WILL BURN YOU EVERY TIME. If you are gonna prefish the day before (which you should try to avoid) then cut your hooks or remove them so you dont stick fish... Save them for when the money is on the line.. Do so and youll get them next time during the tourney..

Pete

Stormcrow
02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Congrats man, we finished 11th and had a great time! We caught nearly 20 fish but only had 1 big one. Ran out of my bait of choice for the larger fish so we only culled slightly up. We had our limit within about 60 minutes. We were 1 more big fish away from a much better finish. I really enjoyed the event. I cant wait for the next one. Major kudos to Megan and Last Chance for putting on a quality event. Very professionally done. I believe I saw Kwin at the dock fizzing all of the fish before release whether they were floating upside down in bags or not. What a good time. Although the Cheeseburger I had at the bbq was slightly underdone. Im feeling it today. Ewwwwww.... :-)

Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Marino for a great 2nd place finish. Only a 9lber swimbait fish beat them. He also won a mystery weight bonus. They left with so many checks I think he needed another trailer to get the money home. LOL

What a great time....

Pete Marino
02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
hahaha that mystery weight money was a nice surprise and added to our total winnings so we were happy.. Thank you!!

see you at the next one!!

Pete

FrazeIb1
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
With a 3 fish limit that 9 put a hurt on everyone.

Yep.....sometimes swinging for the fences pays off.......and sometimes you strike out too......

FrazeIb1
02-25-2013, 03:18 PM
hahaha that mystery weight money was a nice surprise and added to our total winnings so we were happy.. Thank you!!

see you at the next one!!

Pete

I didn't even put in for the mystery weight.......I wouldn't have won it anyway but the next time I will definately put in for it.......

Pete Marino
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
CMON Fraze...Your supposed to fill the slot machine...because just when you dont fill it, the jackpot will hit!!! hahahah About 8 years ago I fished an ABA at Perris and me and my wife didnt enter the big fish option and I caught a 10lber... wellllllll.....we won the tournament but didnt get the big bass money and we missed out on $1,100 bucks....YIKES!! They ribbed me for weeks for that brain fart!!! lol

Pete

FrazeIb1
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
CMON Fraze...Your supposed to fill the slot machine...because just when you dont fill it, the jackpot will hit!!! hahahah About 8 years ago I fished an ABA at Perris and me and my wife didnt enter the big fish option and I caught a 10lber... wellllllll.....we won the tournament but didnt get the big bass money and we missed out on $1,100 bucks....YIKES!! They ribbed me for weeks for that brain fart!!! lol

Pete

I know and should have learned that by now......in a tourney last year with ABA I had the second big bass of the tourney but I did put in for the big bass option.... didnt place in the money that day but if I would have fill the slot machine, I would have got a pay out.........it's all good though my time is coming soon. I have put in the work and I know a little something about fishing......lol...

Yot_bird
02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Yep.....sometimes swinging for the fences pays off.......and sometimes you strike out too......

You just need those three bites to stick.