PDA

View Full Version : 2/24/13 Gorgeous Sunday Mornin

Agent00cix
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
My brother and I decided to hit DVL on Sunday, we hadn't fished for a few months so it was time to get out. We got prepped the night before, got the swimbait, dropshot, jig and carolina sticks ready. Even studied a topo map..pre-selected a few spots... feeling real good about things. We get to the lake and see there's a tourney goin on, but not a crazy amount of boats right at the jump so still feeling good about things. We rented one of the deluxe bass boats and were hoping to give them fish finders another shot. We're still new at this mess, so still learning how to use them. First stop was over on the south side by the borrow area, thinking we'd fish the shadows in about 40 feet of water, bust out the recently-set up Carolina rig setup (hadn't tried it for bass fishing until i saw one of Matt's videos :UDaMan: ). First cast and sweet I landed a nice 2-3 pounder on a Yamamoto Kreature in green pumpkin with a 3 foot leader. A few more casts later and I get short bit a couple of more times but once the shadows were 86'ed the bites stopped. Seemed like they liked it slow.

Unfortunately that was it for the rest of the day :Sad: Thought that we would do well after that kinda start.

Definitely were able to see the fish posted up on ledges and drop-offs in about 20-40 feet of water, that was huge cuz we had never made x's and o's of these fish finders before. But in trying to position the boat, with the wind and a weak trolling motor, we just couldn't seem to stay on the fish. Our game plan was to work the points and west facing shores of Rawson in the morning, keep it simple. We saw the fish..but just couldn't get them to bite. Should have gone to the dropshot just to try and get numbers in, but really tried to learn the feel of the c-rig. Didn't get anything on the 8" hudd...I'm clueless as to how to striper fish. We learned a ton today, so that's always good. It definitely looked like people were pulling fish in the boats. There's fish in DVL for sure, it's just that it's a big leagues type of lake. Guess ya gotta put in your time in the minors first lol Thanks for reading my ramble!

Water temp was 58 in the morning, 60 in the afternoon in some spots.
Light breeze blowin west to east most of the day.
Blue bird skies, gorgeous day.

ben0606
02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks for report.

Matt_Magnone
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
great job out there. it gets easier in time. just pick apart a technique at a time and then move to the next. you'll be able to find your individual niche within each in doing so. like i said, great job! keep it up!