PDA

View Full Version : Saturday morning stripertime

Bassfan
02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Beautiful calm morning to start the day. Anchored up in about 70 ft. and started bait fishing around 8 and they were in the mood to eat. Within a few minutes had the first bite and I’m not so sure the sardine had fully defrosted. After that it was steady until about 11.

At one point they seemed so anxious to bite I tried a “heat check” to test them. Put on an old twice-frozen anchovie piece that didn’t look that good last week and Bang! Fish on! Did that a couple times and then tried the tail piece of the sardine with no guts and Bang! Fish on! When they were hungry they took it all but as things slowed a bit it was back to juicy pieces of sardine.
Part of the time fished with some weight a few feet off the bottom on one rod and flylined a chunk of sardine with the other. Caught most near the bottom but all except one were keepers with flyline. At one point had a bite on sardine and as I brought in what I thought was a decent striper it was a nice silvery trout that was a long way from the stockers. It was a healthy beautiful fish that fought hard.

Around 11 the wind gusts started and blew me off my spot and after a couple attempts to re-anchor I gave up and headed in early. The wind was blowing hard in the main body of the lake and I’m not a big fan of fishing on a windy day. Give me calm conditions and hungry fish and I’m happy.

Thought I kept 8 but when I got home I found I had 10 stripers plus the trout so it’s a good thing the wind chased me in! Apparently I was catching them better than I was counting them. Threw back about 6 or 7 but as noted my counting is shaky when the fish are biting.
Really fun day. Got to compare notes with Dan and Lulu and made it home with some time to filet a striper for Sunday’s dinner.
Still need to work on how to post pictures.

TroutOnly
02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
way to go jim, how big was the trout,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,

cutbait
02-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Very detailed report.

Thanks..

I loose track to Lol

Bassfan
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Bob, I didn't weigh or measure the trout but I would say it was about 15" and very silver compared to the stocked trout I saw in the past. It was no where near the Marina so it was living in the lake for a while before I caught it. I gave away 9 of the stripers and the trout when I got home yesterday to friend from work who is so excited every time I have a load of fish for her. Sometimes she cooks them and brings them to work for everybody's lunch on Mondays. The 10th striper is getting cooked by my wife for dinner tonight!

DMS
02-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Jim,
Nice seeing you again and it was good that we both were on! I pulled out my field glasses a couple times to see if you were as busy as us, but was interrupted by hungry customers. I lost count twice... Lulu had it right both times as I pulled them out to recount.
That wind on the main lake was really something. I bet Castaic was really bad. I saw Karlow's skunk post from yesterday where they must have closed the lake. Yes that trout was trying to convert... fins were growing out and it was like you said, about 15, maybe 16". I caught a trout once on a wide open channel cat bit years ago using cut mack with hog wild.

Lulu called a few of her friends to come out and pick up fresh fish... so 5 came by for a fish and I cut the rest. Fresh striper tonight! I can't wait to get back out there.

Fishbones
02-24-2013, 01:09 PM
thanks for the report and limit of linesides with bonus trout congrats, sounds like a good day on the water.

fishinarteest
02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Dude you freak in killed em. You definitely deserve more than a "good job" unfortunately that's all I can give you haha. I'm heading up there either this Saturday or next with a buddy. Were gonna rent a boat and see what damage we can do while were there. Again nice job on the slay.

fishinone
02-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Nice catch but we need pictures.

Bassfan
02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Nice catch but we need pictures.

I know next time I will get the money shots TO style and post them. I could cut and paste them from Dan's post on Saturday and they would look just like mine! :) Dan saw the cooler of fish at the dock so at least I have a witness.

fishinone
02-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I know next time I will get the money shots TO style and post them. I could cut and paste them from Dan's post on Saturday and they would look just like mine! :) Dan saw the cooler of fish at the dock so at least I have a witness.

I never doubted you, I just want pictures. :Big Grin:

DMS
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
I never doubted you, I just want pictures. :Big Grin:

Yep, I saw Jim's fish at the dock... he had a box of slimers as did I.

DMS
02-27-2013, 05:00 PM

But I have a pretty girl in my photo! :Big Smile:

Bassfan
02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
A pretty girl with a nice smile and who likes to fish - priceless!
But I have a pretty girl in my photo! :Big Smile:

DMS
02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
A pretty girl with a nice smile and who likes to fish - priceless!

Yes... Priceless... And she can cook too..... I'm the luckiest guy on earth...

TroutOnly
02-28-2013, 08:19 AM
YOU ARE , DAN THE MAN,,,,,,,,,LULU IS A SWEETHEART,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you fishing sat?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DMS
02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
YOU ARE , DAN THE MAN,,,,,,,,,LULU IS A SWEETHEART,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you fishing sat?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I will be out there unless the wind is howling... but I think it will back off by then. Hope to see you there.