PDA

View Full Version : Saturday striper blowout 2/23 and limits of wind

DMS
02-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Felt like the wind would hold off long enough to get out today. Did eventually get blown out but not before lulu and I got 15 keepers plus 3 dinks. Played my hunch on a point that had good marks last week. Got a good shot before we got blown off our anchor about noon. Would have finished limits if we had just a little more time. It was really nice out until the wind.

DMS
(edit for photo)

Fishin With Phil
02-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Way to go!

Nice fish.

Fishbones
02-24-2013, 08:28 AM
way to slay you two, congrats on the gail stripers..lol..looks like you two found them..

cutbait
02-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Nicely done..

radioleo
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Yo DMS,

Nice fish,

Nice seeing you last week with Ron.

Was it the spot we stopped to talk to you for a miute or so ?

Nice stringer,

Leo

TroutOnly
02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
dan you and lulu are like bonnie and cylde to the stripers,,,,,,,,,nice catching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

DMS
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Nope, it was over where we saw you later... I was worried that the wind was coming and would make that area unfishable to quickly, so I tried a more sheltered area.

DMS
02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
dan you and lulu are like bonnie and cylde to the stripers,,,,,,,,,nice catching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks T/O! having lots of fun out there!

IN2DEEP
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Nice job out there!
I was fishing with flyhigh123 out there for the first time yesterday
We managed 10 stripers, counting everything and one nice kitty
When that wind came up, it was howling but had the proper anchor set-up to stay in place
Had a good last hour for flyhigh.
Off the water at 3:30

IN2DEEP
02-24-2013, 11:49 AM
DMS, In your picture, what have you built in the bow area of your boat?

DMS
02-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Good deal, I'm still adjusting with the new boat and anchoring it. I have tried a few different anchoring combos, and this time the anchor held pretty good until it really started roaring. I am going to try to add a 10# weight disk to the anchor like I have seen to try and help it bite the bottom a bit better.
the thing on my bow is an anchor. I think it is a reef anchor. It came with the boat and I shifted to a sand anchor that I couldn't get to bite very well, so I think this one is doing better. I have my 300' of rope for both anchors now. since I'm handling both anchors, its a bit hard to get both anchors scoped.
what kind of anchor rig/set are you using/doing?
DMS

DMS
02-24-2013, 12:06 PM
DMS, In your picture, what have you built in the bow area of your boat?

Here you can see my anchor on the bow. It has a pulley where I can pull the rope easier and the anchor can lock into place.

DMS
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Here you can see my anchor on the bow. It has a pulley where I can pull the rope easier and the anchor can lock into place.

And the puddle on the photo is from the dead/live/bait well, not from :Pee:

IN2DEEP
02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Good deal, I'm still adjusting with the new boat and anchoring it. I have tried a few different anchoring combos, and this time the anchor held pretty good until it really started roaring. I am going to try to add a 10# weight disk to the anchor like I have seen to try and help it bite the bottom a bit better.
the thing on my bow is an anchor. I think it is a reef anchor. It came with the boat and I shifted to a sand anchor that I couldn't get to bite very well, so I think this one is doing better. I have my 300' of rope for both anchors now. since I'm handling both anchors, its a bit hard to get both anchors scoped.
what kind of anchor rig/set are you using/doing?
DMS
Actually I was referring to the smoked plexiglass deal that I originally saw in the first pic.
Now I can see it's a filler for the railings for better spray deflection? Good deal! I fished with a guy that had a 15' model of one of those boats and we got really wet a few times :Sad:

The anchor set-up that we were using yesterday was an 11lb. Bruce anchor with 25' of 3/16 chain, 375' 3/8 nylon rope. It's the old set-up that I replaced on my 22' Bayrunner than didn't always get the job done.
Having enough chain can make an anchor perform best
I've found that It can be very difficult to hold bottom in certain areas of the mid(especially over towards the dam in deep water)
I believe that the bottom is so hard(rock/shale) that my anchors can't "dig in" and get a good bite
YB seems to be much softer(sand or mud) for a good hold

When the wind is really strong, I look for an "uphill slope" and drop the anchor so it will be pulling uphill, never downhill(chances of dragging will be high)

Good job on figuring out how to catch them at the mid on bait
It should get even better these next few months :Cool:

trail blazer
02-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Great report DMS,,,,,And thanks,,,,,,,,,,later this week im going looking for them there myself,,,hope i have 1/2 the success you had.

TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
02-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Nice catch Dan,

You're getting the hang of this.

DMS
02-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Nice catch Dan,

You're getting the hang of this.

I've been a real serious fisher of many types for my whole life. I was doing mostly salt for a long time and some trout and cat too. Grew up in Carolina and fished all over from WV trout to Florida snook before moving here. Was mostly on hiatus going back to school and building a new career. Now things are good and I'm teaching lulu. We got married last year and now I don't go alone anymore. I was real active on allcoast back in the day and there are a few refugees from that site here. So far I am enjoying new fishing buddies!
These stripers are interesting to catch and I feel I'm getting over the learning curve.... Bob took us out in November and we were throwing them back because it was full rack at the wood.
More later!