PDA

View Full Version : Skinner striper puzzle.... a clue!

P.A.W.
02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
OK I went back today 2/23 and trolled and metered for an hour or so when I got a hit mid lake by a phantom fish. 65 feet of water and my rig was at 50+-. Standard schoolie for this year. Did meter some other groups here and there but couldn't get thenm to bite. I think I might know why. At the cleaning table my guy just squirted! Kinda like T/O :Explode:. He had some nice big sperm sacks. Sooooo they are busy doing what nature tells them to do. Pre-pawn/spawn mode. He did have one small threadfin in him maybe an inch long so he wasn't feeding heavily.

That's my observation anyway. AND no skunk today!! Ceviche tonight!

JAG107
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
nice catch on the full moon pat! its been tough the last couple weeks...

HawgZWylde
02-23-2013, 10:46 PM
OK I went back today 2/23 and trolled and metered for an hour or so when I got a hit mid lake by a phantom fish. 65 feet of water and my rig was at 50+-. Standard schoolie for this year. Did meter some other groups here and there but couldn't get thenm to bite. I think I might know why. At the cleaning table my guy just squirted! Kinda like T/O :Explode:. He had some nice big sperm sacks. Sooooo they are busy doing what nature tells them to do. Pre-pawn/spawn mode. He did have one small threadfin in him maybe an inch long so he wasn't feeding heavily.

That's my observation anyway. AND no skunk today!! Ceviche tonight!

I think there is a secondary inlet/outlet past the buoy line in deep water. If water is coming in, they're probably having a Stripey orgy right over it in the upwards current since the fertilized eggs must remain buoyant and untouched for 48 hours until the fry hatches which has an oil globule to help them float until they can swim. Not sure if they're successful in Skinner though. Congrats beating the skunk...

Haha, looks like Bob needs to gain some self control eh?

P.A.W.
02-24-2013, 05:29 AM
nice catch on the full moon pat! its been tough the last couple weeks...

Hey thanks Joe! Yah it's been almost a month since I caught stripers. Moon or no moon. Something new and different every year.

P.A.W.
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Just got in from a carbon copy of yesterday. One fish morning and that's it. Same 65' of water, the only difference is I metered this guy on a small bait ball hugging the bottom. Counted him down as the image moved accross the screen. Bingo!. He was also full of man juice. Decided to let him go and do his thing.

Hawgz I suspect they are somewhat succesful in Skinner based on the 4-6 inch stripers I've seen there. Even if they aren't, they are going through the motions.

TroutOnly
02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
DONT MESS WITH THE MAN JUICE PAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,SPRINGS COMIN THERE GETTING READY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,

P.A.W.
02-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Yah Bob! If they're anything like me the'll be looking for a good meal after all that mating!

NFCD I
02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey Pat,

Thanks for the Skinner update. There is a Lake Texoma web site,www.sixoldgeezers.com, that is almost 100% dedicated to striper fishing. If you look under the "Daily Fishing Reports" they talk about dead sticking in deep cold water for stripers. I was just wondering if you've ever tried it.
I'll make a point to say hi the next time I see you on Skinner. I'll be in a gold Skeeter bass boat.

Dale

P.A.W.
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the link Dale. I have never tried that method. I'm kinda ADD. As a matter of fact I gave up on drop shotting for LMB for that reason. I love top water, plugs, and jerkbaits but am happy to troll when needed. At least when I'm trolling I'm watching the meter for depth and taking a scenic tour of the lake. I'll watch for you when I'm out there.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I’d watch closely to those water temps….I know I saw hardcore egg sacks in all the stripers we killed out there the last time I was there and that was a while back and that was SUPER early for the sacks to be developed the way they were…if water temps do what they should….my guess would be an early spawn……

Add the fact that ur male schoolie was milting and one duth not need to do much math…

Looks for those eggs turned green….and u should be in the right phase….

Stay on it….me thinks ur open bite is not very far away….

Considering a return visit there sometime soon myself…..

Stay on those feesh : )

Congrats on beating the skunk…

Way ta go

Gary

P.A.W.
03-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Yah Gary, Skinner has been a mutant lake this year. No boils or shallow feeding to speak of for months. Now an early spawn. I can't make it out this weekend, but I have very high hopes for the following Sat-Sun. Milder nights will start things up I think.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Yah Gary, Skinner has been a mutant lake this year. No boils or shallow feeding to speak of for months. Now an early spawn. I can't make it out this weekend, but I have very high hopes for the following Sat-Sun. Milder nights will start things up I think.

WATCH THE MOON PHASES...new moon and full moon....probably full moon will push 'em through

Good luck : )