PDA

View Full Version : Oil Rigs bassing .... 9-6-07

Wildhorse1966
09-07-2007, 11:04 AM
launched last night at 8pm with a few friends that have never fished before .. the swells were around 3-4 feet so i was going to stay inside and fish the wall but i decided to make a run to the oil rigs and see how the fishing was out there. after a 20 minute ride we finally made it there i set everyones rods up flyline with a 1/2 oz egg sinker and put a fresh 4 inch chovie on it. by on the first drift we had a double hookup the night went like this till 1:30am when i called it quits .. in the end everyone on the boat had limits (all calicos and sculpin released) i did keep 1 nice log of a cuda and 20 sand bass 1-3lb grade for our big fish fry tonight

at about 10 pm the swells calmed down and it was really nice out there .. we were the only boat fishing the area .. and actually the only fishing boat i saw out last night ... it was nice to take a couple noobs out to catch their first fish .. they are hooked now and all want to buy their own setups now

sorry i dont have any pics i was too busy being a deck hand .. :lol:

i will be out there again sat night hitting the same place ...

JapanRon
09-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Wildhorse1966,

Way to go on going out with a bunch of newbies. Maybe they'll be deckhands soon.

Await your next trip,

JapanRon

Greg Madrigal
09-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey there wildhorse! (I think I just had my 555th post too!)
Nice report. Sounds like a fun time. I thought you had to stay X amount of feet away from the rigs, no???? If not, how close in to them do you need to be to actually catch fish?

Which rig did u fish btw?

Thanks for sharing.

GM

sansou
09-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Nice report Wildhorse!

Wildhorse1966
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
yes you must stay 300 feet from the rigs and you can not anchor around it ....

we were casting as close to the pilings as we could and let it drop to the bottom where we were getting the best hits..

rigging .... carolina rig setup with a 1/2-3/4 oz egg sinker we used squid and live anchovies my choice was chovies i am not a squid fan and i hate cleaning it off my boat

we went out on sunday night at midnight but we didnt do nearly as good ... fishing was still good though .. we were using a dropper loop setup and it didnt do as good as the carolina rig that i switched to at the end of the trip... i also used plastics on sunday night but didnt catch anything just alot of short hits