PDA

View Full Version : Super late Saturday Report 2/16/13 PB trout

Carptain_Bao
02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Well always wanted to post up the report but school really kept me busy.
So I camped in line on Friday night, glad to see the Team 57 friends are already there. Had a little chat with everyone and went to sleep around 11 to get ready for next day.

Woke up around 4:30, got my tube and all my rigs ready. Went to the tackle shop for some hooks and paid the tourney fee.

Was on the water by 6:20, launched from trout island and trolled to the west shore for nothing. Saw a couple big ones jumping outta water in the morning, maybe should have switched to a jig or something. Then I kicked back to the boat docked cove. While I was working my way to my honey hole, my double worm got slammed! Took me a good 5 mins to tire the fish out, ohhhh man that's probably the biggest trout i have ever caught so far! It was caught on a double worm rig of Fool's Crazy Worm Passion Plum and Pink color.

Worked that area for another good hour for nothing, so I decided to head back to the west shore. On my way there I had a bite on my lunker special lure however that was just a a short bite. Fished the west shore for an hour for no bite so I kicked to the flats. I found a decent spot and immediately started to meter tons of fish. For some reason I couldn't get them on any color of worms dropshotting or wacky mouse. I worked that area for another good hour and was metering fish all the time but couldn't get any of them to commit a single bite. So I decided to weigh my fish in.

Kicked back to launch ramp, weighted the fish in, 3.55 Yosemite Red, my personal best trout! Took a bathroom break and head back to the water right away. Since the bite is too tough I decided to just drift a nightcrawler and enjoy the rest of the day on the water.
http://i47.tinypic.com/idcd4l.jpg

Oh well, two bites that was is it for me on that day. But I will still say it was a great day at irvine lake! Saw all the Team 57 friends, met the Bite-On crew and also made some new friends! i guess that made it all up.
Sometimes things just won't go the way you expected it to be even tough you know it is right. I guess we just gotta keep on fishing and eventually we will get it done again!

So here is my question for you guys. How come I couldn't get any fish to bite on the d/s even though I was metering all the fish? usually I do really on d/s but definitely not that day. Should I switch to something else like nightcrawlers or jig? The water was like 30ft deep or there is just something wrong with my fishfinder?

Thank you all and tight lines!

OC ANGLER
02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Good meeting you Bao! Morning was a bit slow for me after going all over and hitten boat dock cove, trout island, and west shore. I jig'd for hours and nothing but a couple short bites, so I ended up drifting a nightcrawler w/ biteon garlic on the 2nd rod and that was the ticket for me. Ended the day with 3 and farmed 1.

lazyfisherman
02-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Fishfinders are only there for finding the fish. It's up to you to put them on the hook. If they're not biting what you're offering, change up colors and leader lengths.

Carptain_Bao
02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Good meeting you Bao! Morning was a bit slow for me after going all over and hitten boat dock cove, trout island, and west shore. I jig'd for hours and nothing but a couple short bites, so I ended up drifting a nightcrawler w/ biteon garlic on the 2nd rod and that was the ticket for me. Ended the day with 3 and farmed 1.

Hey Josh it was great to meet you! Glad you got 3, maybe I should have switched to crawler earlier lol
Hope to see you soon!

Carptain_Bao
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Fishfinders are only there for finding the fish. It's up to you to put them on the hook. If they're not biting what you're offering, change up colors and leader lengths.

Thank you lazyfisherman! I should have switched to something else, I was just being stubborn because the drop shot always works for me, yeah maybe even just make some minor adjustments as you said about leader length! Just wanna make sure my fish finder is still good lol

Malosos82
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Congrats on the PB. Always a nice silver lining to a tough day

5150fishn
02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Congrats on your new PB Bao!!! It was a rough day fishing on Sunday for us. Too much pressure from the Sat. crowd. Thanks for the report and pic bro!

gogreeenz4
02-22-2013, 02:18 PM
killer fish!!!! goood to hear you scored a pb

FKNChristopH
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Metering fish only tells you where they are, as stated above: it doesn't put them on your hook. If you're not getting bit, change it up. Start with color, then leader lengths. Bite on scents usually increase the bite rate but that's just spoken from my experience. Finding the fish is also key. Once you find them, figure em out and you'll have a great time. Remember to always have fun.

*shakkka*