PDA

View Full Version : The way fish are stock

mefishtoo
02-21-2013, 05:07 AM
I've had the opportunity to wittness 3 stockings at my local lake, first time they did it with the long tube, fishing was fantastic for everyone. The next 2 times they did it via net and fishing was horrible. Coincidence?
Would love to hear your opinions

DarkShadow
02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
I've had the opportunity to wittness 3 stockings at my local lake, first time they did it with the long tube, fishing was fantastic for everyone. The next 2 times they did it via net and fishing was horrible. Coincidence?
Would love to hear your opinions

It seems to me that when they use the 'long tube,' they stock more #s of fish.

Every time they do it with the net, they do 5 scoops and move along.

Fishbones
02-21-2013, 09:50 AM
^X2, Sometimes long tubes means "holding pens".:Secret:.lol

Kingfish Addict
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
I've always wondered about the methods used when stocking trout, especially when they're stocked from the semi truck and that long wooden chute. Wouldn't a slick vinyl chute be more beneficial to the fish? Everyone knows the slime layer on fish is there to protect against harmful bacteria, but yet the stocking company uses what looks like a hard bristled broom to keep the trout moving along, which would undoubtedly wipe some of the protective slime off the fish. It seems the stocking companies are the least conscious about the well being of the fish....or is there something I'm missing?

Marley
02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
I would say that the stocking companies have a vested interest in doing what's best for the fish. When those brushes are put into the water they become wet, just like the painted surface of the wooden flumes used at Corona and SARL. It doesn't take much water to create a slippery surface for the fish to slide across.
BTW, city park lakes do not typically get planted by Mt. Lassen (or Calaveras for that matter) and when they do get stocked, the fish never go into holding pens.
I once watched an Alpers driver plant his fish in a pond on the south fork of Bishop Creek. He backed up to a stationary chute atop a little bluff overlooking the creek, hooked up his tank and dropped his fish into the pond. That's a literal "drop" as the end of the tube was ten feet or better above the surface of the pond.

BUSTER124
02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
They usually use the scoop nets at the first of their many stops. Usually 4-5 scoops per lake. Then the last lake on the list gets all the rest by using the tube. If they used the tube at the first few lakes it would be more difficult to control the amount of fish in each lake.

bman90278
02-22-2013, 07:26 AM
In years past, I witnessed the stocking truck using the chute when stocking my local city lakes, but this year they have been using the scoop method. That's because they are stocking much less.

-b

mefishtoo
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
I guess what I was referring to was that when they used the net, fish were not biting, stress related?
even if they stock less fish, we were right there and still..... almost no fish was caught

i.fish
02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
In remote lakes they use the pontoons on an airplane as holding tanks for trout. Trout get dropped at around 100ft at 85mph.

sandtrout
02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
I've fished Alondra for quite awhile...the last time was there they stocked a net instead of a tube. I saw one fish caught in 4 hours of fishing. It's the first time I ever saw the fishing so poor after a stocking!

HBAR
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Thats what they've been doing at hansen dam aka C ment hole since last year, when they started stocking they'd dump the whole truck but now it's nets. Not this last stocking but the one before, he dumped two nets and had the lifeguard sign off that he stocked 200lbs.