PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lake on the troll...Sunday 2/17

Shock
02-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Had some free time Sunday so I decided to see whats going on up at Castaic. I wasn't expecting too much as February is normally slow but what the hell I just wanna get on the water. Picked up my friend Johneil to fish with me today. I have been wanting to get him on some Striper as he is a salt guy so always giving me a hard time about lake fishing.

Got to the lake right before the gate opened, and on the water within ten minutes. Slight breeze and chilly out, water temp 52 degrees. We headed straight for C-point. Metered some good markings but no takers after a few passes so I headed back towards the dam and on up the fish arm. Didn't meter too much the whole fish arm. Some random schools here and there but they all had lockjaw. decided to check out in the open water and thats pretty much where they were but down way too deep and I don't have downriggers. Hit C-point again and same thing, good markings but no takers.

We decided to change up the plan. Headed back to the dock and grabbed some bait and grabbed the bait poles from the truck. We decided to go ahead and troll up the fish arm then bait up near the buoy line. This time we switched up the troll rigs to my lead core setups. Headed up the fish arm changing up depth from 6-10 colors. Same thing on this side, random schools here and there but no takers. Plenty of markings out in open water. We got to the buoy line and trollled along it to see if anything on the meter, and it was just dead. Not wanting to give up on the troll so I decided to circle back one more time before trying the bait n wait.

We passed up a boat that was anchored bait fishing and they said no even a nibble. Then about 300 yards past them my rod gets slammed. Take it out of the rod holder and hand it to Johneil so I can get him on his first striper. And a nice schoolie to boot.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/Shock1420/521515_10151439228104349_576686526_n.jpg

Boy were we stoked. I was certain we were on that skunk trail. So after this I say do we wanna bait fish, hell no!!! Did about 4 or 5 more laps around the area for nothing so we decided to troll back and try c-point again. Nada. Nothing at C-point either so we called it a day around 3:00 pm as the plan was actually to fish until noon, lol.

Water temp at 3:00 was 54-55 degrees.

Overall it was a nice day out on the water. The weater warmed up real nice and it was just great to get my boat out.

Till next time, See ya on the water....

Shock
02-19-2013, 07:45 AM
ohh yeah, Johneil gave me some props as this was his biggest fresh water fish to date....

possibly a new striper junkie??

CAPT'N
02-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Joseph, nice to see you got on the water.

Another Striper junkie in the making

Was half way to the lake Sunday when my fishing partner decided to have a kidney stone episode .

How was the water level?

Capt'n

Shock
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Joseph, nice to see you got on the water.

Another Striper junkie in the making

Was half way to the lake Sunday when my fishing partner decided to have a kidney stone episode .

How was the water level?

Capt'n

Bummer would have been cool to see you out there....Kidney stones, ouch, I have had those....no fun...

The lake seemed pretty full to me.... the points off c-point were around 30-40ft deep.

Fishbones
02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
workin it hard paid off with the skunk off your back makes the day so much better.. striper fever is hard to shake..

fishinone
02-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Nice job beating the skunk Shock!

I'm surprised that you didn't pick up any UGB, my last couple tries at trolling i had to sort through them to get one schoolie striper.

CAPT'N
02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Ron,

These UGB are a menace to the lake........

Shock
02-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Nice job beating the skunk Shock!

I'm surprised that you didn't pick up any UGB, my last couple tries at trolling i had to sort through them to get one schoolie striper.

UGBs must have been sleeping, even the UGB fishermen we passed said fishing was slow...

fishinone
02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Ron,

Yea, it's an invasive species. Kill everything except lizards rattlesnakes and jackrabbits.

dk4885
02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Ron,

i agree, everybody should keep all UGB and not put them back in, when i say all i mean limit