PDA

View Full Version : Friday and Saturday at the vine.

Big Willy
02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I headed over to the Vine at about 7am on friday and rented a boat headed out to the Santiago Flats. My plan was to troll around until I found a good school of fish and then mini jig some up. I left the boat dock and put out a couple trolling rods with flickershad in different colors. go to make the turn around trout island and get my first strike. Great fight strong runs and seemed what was big head shakes. ended up being a 4.5 pound brown trout(first one at irvine). I kept on my track and got to the flats still trolling and land a 4.95 sierra red. No lunker pin awarded. Decide Im going to troll right back over the spots I just came from. Start heading towards trout island from the back of the flats and bam another quality 4+pound red. Im really enjoying myself at this point as its been about an hour and I have three quality fish on my stringer. Anyways, I get back to trolling the front of trout island as I do a loop the rod Im holding goes off and it once again is a Brown trout! This one weighed about 3.75 pounds. I'm really excited to have two reds and two browns. I get back to trolling and not 5 minutes later I fill my stringer with a nice 3+ pound bow. That was 5 trout and it was only 9am. I decided it was time for some breakfast a 2nd limit and a few pictures. Did that and headed out for another run at the lake at about 10:00. Leave the boat dock and head right back over the same spot I caught the first brown at. One of the rods goes off and again it's a BROWN! This one was also about 3.75 pounds. So after this I pull myself together and decide Im going back to the flats to try for some more reds. I never even made it back there as the fish just kept coming. Ended my day about noon with 10 quality fish that consisted of 3 reds over 4 pounds plus 2 more 3+pound reds. 3 Brown trout that were 3.5, 3.75 and 4.5 pounds and 2 Bows that were both over 3 pounds. I had one or two shake off that were a bit smaller and one that was allot bigger that got away. It almost spooled me then spit the hook. I went home and cleaned up kissed the wife and headed back for a night of camping and fishing the next day. Camping was great, woke up ready for a repeat. Went out and had a slow day with my biggest trout weighing about three pounds. And, I caught the dock in the back of the flats while trolling. Who does that? Still had a great time on Saturday but nothing like Friday. Planned on making back for sunday but ended up sleeping in and hanging with the family. I smoked a few of the trout yesterday and they turned out GREAAAAT! Those Browns and reds are tasty!

Tight Lines,
Will

Cadillyak
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Epic session. Nice fish!

FKNChristopH
02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Very Stellar day! Nice browns!!

I'm jealous you got 3 browns!

*shakkaa*

Malosos82
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Way to get on the double limit with big ***** brownies! I drive up from vista so by the time I get a quick limit it means a longer nap and more energy for my deserving and gorgeous gf (unless she comes with and out fishes me with her pink ugly stick which is becoming traditional)

Rooster
02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Great report and pic, Hope 2 cya out there sometime

5150fishn
02-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Damn bro, 3 browns in one day is epic. Thanks for the report and pics.

Big Willy
02-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys,
It was indeed an epic fishing outing. I'm looking forward to going again this friday. I left one thing out of that report. I hugged the back of the flats for a while early in the morning on Saturday and saw allot of Bass cracking the surface. I also saw a few bass boats back there doing pretty good. Might have to bring a bass rig.......

Hunt4Fish
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
And you forgot to mention your first limit wieghed 19 lbs, I saw you at the scale Friday morning, glad to hear the rest to of the day went well too ! We ended up with seven on the bait down in "that" same spot, biggest went 4.3(red) , Congrats on the awesome day !!
H4F

troutdog
02-20-2013, 10:31 PM
The Friday prior to a Touney is always the way to go! :Envious: Congrats on a day you will probably never forget, excellent play by play of the day's events.

TD

BRING IT
02-21-2013, 07:05 AM
WOW! Awesome day for sure:Cool:, I want one of them damn Browns....lol
great report
Have Fun / Fish Hard
BRING IT:Guns:

Big Willy
02-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Bring it, I was in the same boat until Friday. I seemed to find a pile of them on the same spot. I will troll over that spot a few times every time I go to irvine lake from here on out.
H4F, Im sure you do good every time your at the vine. Sometimes you can just tell a guy knows how to fish. I look forward to learning a few of your tricks. Me, I'm just lucky.
Troutdog, I will write that down. I usually fish thursday or friday because of my scheduled. I sure hope to get more day before a tourney kind of fishing days. It was allot of fun.

See you guys on the water.