PDA

View Full Version : Outing Number Two! North SD County

dlmoo312
02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
2/16/13

The conditions had calmed down and things were looking good for saturday. Met up with Thien at 4:30am, loaded up our stuff, filled up the gas tank, and headed down to Newport to meet up with Ken. This would be our second outing together and we were looking forward to another good time out in the surf:Big Grin: We got to Ken's place, loaded our stuff and were off to our predetermined destination. I'll keep this report short since the fishing was pretty slow:Confused:

We got to the spot and were greeted with flat swells and beautiful weather. Right away i'm thinking that this is going to end with at least one of us catching a nice fish. Boy was I wrong! We tossed the lc all day and for the first hour none of us even got a single hit. As we continued to work the beach, I would constantly look over to Ken and Thien, hoping I would see a bent rod. Finally on one of my retrieves I got what felt to be a nice hit. I set the hook and off the fish goes on a small run. Then it stops... some headshakes and another short run... I'm now confident I have a halibut on, but when I bring it in close my heart sinks.. I foul hooked a butterfly ray:Crying: but at least the skunk was off! We left the ao around 9:30 and grabbed some food. Then we hit the newport area for an hour for nothing before calling it quits. It was a pleasure fishing with you again Ken! Not so good a session with regards to fish count but a great outing nonetheless! :Big Grin: Hopefully the third time will be the charm:Wink:

Day's fish count:
me (dlmoo312): 1 butterfly ray, 2 bsp
ken (skunked4life): 1 shovelnose ray
thien (bloox8): :Skunk:

Getting ready..
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/A89A5028-181F-4A77-B2EE-E94715A5BB40-13172-000009EB1D546345_zps2676b420.jpg
beautiful day with nice conditions..
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/8CA3E009-C256-4AD3-BE37-542C52C49E65-13172-000009EB29211827_zpsc9d83c3d.jpg
sngf.. I forgot to mention this was a new PB for Ken (PB smallest 5" sngf.. a little bigger than the lc it was caught on!:ROFL:)
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/03E19A33-B66E-4D5B-BC0F-AA98FFEE1974-13172-000009EB24925D7A_zps0be32fd1.jpg
butterfly ray
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/9FCB30A4-38FA-4BE9-925A-6E8D44EBEDAB-13172-000009EB11385C59_zps150a3168.jpg
What's that Ken? Your lc's stuck? No problem!:LOL:
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/B7FE42B2-8828-4CEA-B0E1-073CACB5AE4A-13172-000009EB2E2B7510_zps00ea61c8.jpg

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

-Daniel

Which Way Out
02-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Anyway you look at it Daniel, it was a nice day to be fishing. What a great weather weekend, just wish the fish would of cooperated as well.

Thanks for the report. See you in a few.

WWO

koifish
02-18-2013, 07:27 AM
It's always nice to ge out to the sand. Nice beach.

Wingnut
02-18-2013, 12:17 PM
The Heartbreak Club = Bat Ray, Butterfly Ray & Shovelnose. "Flat Fish of the Wrong Kind" :mad:

Yes, it really burst your bubble when you're sure that there's a monster Hali on the other end of your line and one of these comes out of the surf. :Evil:
Disappointed hopes and shattered dreams, lol

You know what I call a session where you catch little or no fish? A "Recon" mission, hahaha... sounds better than a Skunk Mission, lol
Great recon mission gentlemen! :Wink: I went on a "Recon" mission myself over the weekend. :LOL: Report to come...

Slow fishing but great company makes it worth it. :Big Grin:

See you and Thien on Sunday at the "Gathering", bring Ken if he want to come along. :Cool:

SP Dan
02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Your nice variety of fish stirred gently inside of a nice warm potato soup........hmmmmm! :Thumbs Up:

I am happy to report that I was able to get out in my own back yard both Sat. and Sun. and I've got to tell you Brotha.....
the weather was absolutely beautiful up here, the tide conditions looked fishee but turned out to be very questionable, they went from looking "very promising...:Big Grin:" to "where did that breaker come from....:EyePop:!" There was one that I could not run from......so I ended up diving into a 8-ft breaking face...:EyePop:!
It's called "Skeeshing" on the East coast. :LOL:

I also was greeted by a very nice surprise Sun morning......I thought that I was going to be all alone at my AO when I hear a yell....."HEY BROTHA DAN"!.... and I looked over my shoulder to see my Brotha's Wingnut, Binh and Sokha making ready to assault the salt! We shared some fantastic weather at this great AO that day, thanx guys for the perfect company and the laughs! "Whoops"...... please forgive me for the piggyback! :Big Grin: PS...I was also blessed with "RECON" busters! One of mine was a 40" SNGF.

Happy to hear that you were at least rewarded with a "RECON:Skunk:" buster! Ha ha ha! :ROFL:
I'll see you next weekend at the Eagles gathering my Brotha!

Thanx for the fish report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bloox8
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
I am pretty sure there was some shrimp on the seaweed I caught... :Envious:....

ANYWAYS!!!

That AO always seems fishy... We'll get something there one day.. Either way, it was fun being out on the surf with you guys.

Thank you Ken for giving us a ride to the AO and my first delicious meal after get both my wisdom teeth pulled :Razz: We are going to treat you out to a good meal next time and we're not going to accept a "NO" for an answer :Angry:!!..... SUSHI!?!?!

Thien

Jaysuuun
02-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Sounds like you guys had fun out there. I too have been a victim of the "Fake Flattie" (butterfly ray). LOL Great outing and recon sesh. The water is heating up. :Cool:

skunked4life
02-19-2013, 07:13 AM
So I was going to save my 200th post for Thien's SWAT induction post, but seeing how he is stubborn and refuses to qualify with a perch....:LOL:

What an amazing outing! Daniel and Thien, thanks for letting me tag along. Seriously, I have fished with friends before, but this is different. You guys are a different breed.
First, yeah it was slow, but we fished that area hard and got alot of recon accomplished (:Rolls Eyes:Wingnut).
Second, thanks for posting that the shovel nose was my PB Daniel....For anyone interested, this was my PB and the little guy measured nearly 5 inches!
Third, Thien, you have now been cursed -- you know why -- and no, I do not think that there were shrimp on that huge piece of salad you were dragging along the beach.
Fourth, I have never seen anyone say, "oh, your LC is snagged? I will wade out there about 50 yards and chest deep to unsnag it for you!" Seriously, that was amazing. Thanks friend.
Fifth, no need to thank me for the meal. Breaking bread is the single best way to share in fellowship. Besides, it was worth seeing you guys devour so much food in so little time. Hungry?

Last, Thanks to FNN and SWAT for really helping me up my game! Yeah, I could go out there and beat the skunk every time using crack/grubs/you name it...but I am in search for something more and you guys have steered me in the right direction. I have always treated my friends like family and in my culture, everyone is a brother, sister, aunt or uncle. Daniel and Thien, you guys are two of the best little brother and sister anyone could ask for! :LOL::Razz::LOL::Razz:

P.S. Thien, hurry up and you may get my 201st post. I am rooting for you!

bachiboy
02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Nice outing there guys. Not exactly productive but very nice conditions and you can't be a morning session with friends.

Thien,
There is no shame in qualifying with a pig-sized perch!:Wink: This coming from a guy who did it with a YFC and got dubbed Colonel Croaker.:whistle::ROFL:

Great report and awesome picts!
Don

bloox8
02-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Thien,
There is no shame in qualifying with a pig-sized perch!:Wink: This coming from a guy who did it with a YFC and got dubbed Colonel Croaker.:whistle::ROFL:
Don

I wouldn't mind qualifying with a piggy perch... I would just PREFER to get in with a beast :LOL: If a piggy perch managed to get on the other end of my line then I guess it was meant to be :Smile:

We'll see what Poseidon as in store for me...

dlmoo312
02-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyway you look at it Daniel, it was a nice day to be fishing. What a great weather weekend, just wish the fish would of cooperated as well.

Thanks for the report. See you in a few.

WWO

I totally agree! I've never had a spectacular day at this spot but it's a beautiful stretch of beach and just seems so fishy... I know i'll be coming back again! See you soon Bill.

It's always nice to ge out to the sand. Nice beach.

It was a nice day indeed and i'll be trying it again at this beach soon:Wink:

The Heartbreak Club = Bat Ray, Butterfly Ray & Shovelnose. "Flat Fish of the Wrong Kind" :mad:

Yes, it really burst your bubble when you're sure that there's a monster Hali on the other end of your line and one of these comes out of the surf. :Evil:
Disappointed hopes and shattered dreams, lol

You know what I call a session where you catch little or no fish? A "Recon" mission, hahaha... sounds better than a Skunk Mission, lol
Great recon mission gentlemen! :Wink: I went on a "Recon" mission myself over the weekend. :LOL: Report to come...

Slow fishing but great company makes it worth it. :Big Grin:

See you and Thien on Sunday at the "Gathering", bring Ken if he want to come along. :Cool:

Lol that's a great way to put it. I guess it was a recon mission since this was the first time going back after about a year. Thanks for making me feel better, Arthur:LOL: See you soon! Hopefully Ken will be joining us after he gets the OK from the wife:Smile:

Your nice variety of fish stirred gently inside of a nice warm potato soup........hmmmmm! :Thumbs Up:

I am happy to report that I was able to get out in my own back yard both Sat. and Sun. and I've got to tell you Brotha.....
the weather was absolutely beautiful up here, the tide conditions looked fishee but turned out to be very questionable, they went from looking "very promising...:Big Grin:" to "where did that breaker come from....:EyePop:!" There was one that I could not run from......so I ended up diving into a 8-ft breaking face...:EyePop:!
It's called "Skeeshing" on the East coast. :LOL:

I also was greeted by a very nice surprise Sun morning......I thought that I was going to be all alone at my AO when I hear a yell....."HEY BROTHA DAN"!.... and I looked over my shoulder to see my Brotha's Wingnut, Binh and Sokha making ready to assault the salt! We shared some fantastic weather at this great AO that day, thanx guys for the perfect company and the laughs! "Whoops"...... please forgive me for the piggyback! :Big Grin: PS...I was also blessed with "RECON" busters! One of mine was a 40" SNGF.

Happy to hear that you were at least rewarded with a "RECON:Skunk:" buster! Ha ha ha! :ROFL:
I'll see you next weekend at the Eagles gathering my Brotha!

Thanx for the fish report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

I'm glad the wave didn't cause anything serious lol It was a beautiful weekend to do some recon.. at least we got some recon fish out of it!:LOL:
See you soon Dan!

I am pretty sure there was some shrimp on the seaweed I caught... :Envious:....

ANYWAYS!!!

That AO always seems fishy... We'll get something there one day.. Either way, it was fun being out on the surf with you guys.

Thank you Ken for giving us a ride to the AO and my first delicious meal after get both my wisdom teeth pulled :Razz: We are going to treat you out to a good meal next time and we're not going to accept a "NO" for an answer :Angry:!!..... SUSHI!?!?!

Thien

We'll call our third outing a "recon" trip beforehand to save us from any crazy expectations:LOL:
Sushi sounds good.. I guess it's settled then!

Sounds like you guys had fun out there. I too have been a victim of the "Fake Flattie" (butterfly ray). LOL Great outing and recon sesh. The water is heating up. :Cool:

I was so sure I had a flattie!:Angry: At least i'm a bit wiser now! lol

So I was going to save my 200th post for Thien's SWAT induction post, but seeing how he is stubborn and refuses to qualify with a perch....:LOL:

What an amazing outing! Daniel and Thien, thanks for letting me tag along. Seriously, I have fished with friends before, but this is different. You guys are a different breed.
First, yeah it was slow, but we fished that area hard and got alot of recon accomplished (:Rolls Eyes:Wingnut).
Second, thanks for posting that the shovel nose was my PB Daniel....For anyone interested, this was my PB and the little guy measured nearly 5 inches!
Third, Thien, you have now been cursed -- you know why -- and no, I do not think that there were shrimp on that huge piece of salad you were dragging along the beach.
Fourth, I have never seen anyone say, "oh, your LC is snagged? I will wade out there about 50 yards and chest deep to unsnag it for you!" Seriously, that was amazing. Thanks friend.
Fifth, no need to thank me for the meal. Breaking bread is the single best way to share in fellowship. Besides, it was worth seeing you guys devour so much food in so little time. Hungry?

Last, Thanks to FNN and SWAT for really helping me up my game! Yeah, I could go out there and beat the skunk every time using crack/grubs/you name it...but I am in search for something more and you guys have steered me in the right direction. I have always treated my friends like family and in my culture, everyone is a brother, sister, aunt or uncle. Daniel and Thien, you guys are two of the best little brother and sister anyone could ask for! :LOL::Razz::LOL::Razz:

P.S. Thien, hurry up and you may get my 201st post. I am rooting for you!

Lol sorry about that I forgot! but it is fixed now:Wink:
Just a heads up, we'll be treating you to some sushi on outing number 3:Big Grin:
And about the lc... that's what waders are for!
So... who do you consider the little sister..?:LOL:

Nice outing there guys. Not exactly productive but very nice conditions and you can't be a morning session with friends.

Thien,

Great report and awesome picts!
Don

Couldn't agree with you more, Don! Looking forward to another great weekend session:Big Grin:

geedavell
02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Sounds like you guys had alot of fun but isn't Newport in OC?
North SD county starts at San Onofre

bloox8
02-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you guys had alot of fun but isn't Newport in OC?
North SD county starts at San Onofre

Yup. That's how much we drove that day lol. And... we live in San Fernando valley

bones
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Good old recon.......Gotta love it. You boys are on a mission for sure and I know that in no time Thien will get his brute. I love that area down south ..... too bad the drive is so far because I would love to focus on that area a bit more. Still a productive day no matter how you look at it. I always tell myself that even if the fishing is slow at least I did something good for my body with the hike in and out and of course the fresh air.
Surf fishing is good for the soul!
Keep up the good work boyz....... Poseidon will reward you for your efforts. You two definately have a golden touch on the sand.
See you guys this weekend!

geedavell
02-21-2013, 11:45 PM
You guys ever stop at the Dog Beach, just north of the pier in HB? I used to have real good luck there with the surf perch.