PDA

View Full Version : Cachuma lake tips for upcoming trip...

dkinla
02-17-2013, 10:43 PM
hey everyone,

so the Mrs. and I will be staying at one of those cabins at Cachuma lake in about a month for a couple nights to relax and get some trout fishin in... (the cabins are just like the ones they built for Jalama beach as I posted in this report here: (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?68403-Off-the-grid-in-Jalama-beach-for-3-days-(11-8-11-10)-*long-report*-pics-vids&highlight=jalama+beach)

anyways, Cachuma looks like a pretty big lake (never been there before)... and so we'll be fishing from shore in the am and then probably before sunset... just wanted to hit up FNN members to recommend maybe 2 or 3 different spots to try...

here's a link to their maps: http://www.countyofsb.org/parks/parks05.aspx?id=14112

i'm thinking either side of the marina would be a good place to start maybe the first afternoon/evening we get there... but after that... who knows? will be awesome to see the Mrs. trying to land a 3-4+ lb. trout on 2lb line :LOL::LOL:

anyways, thanks for any advice guys...

ityperx
02-17-2013, 10:59 PM
I've always had luck in area 3 (Apache Areas) during the summer, especially late summer months. Catfish bite are wide open from 10pm - 2 am. I caught a 4lb tailwalker in late june of last year as well on chovy. I've never fished the lake noon - evening before so I can't help you there. The other pier in area 2 is good for crappies, but as I mention earlier I've only gone out there during the warmer months. Good luck out there.

Just read my reply, I was no help at all lol. All I can say is stick to your game play and hope for the best.

Carptain_Bao
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
only went out once at the marina area, me and my buddy caught 3 fish total, all decent size fish, give it a try maybe?
Also you may want to ask the guy at the marina for some tips, very friendly and helpful when we were there.
good luck!

Hometown
02-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Its been a while since I have been and I fish off a boat when there .But I do know that E point is usally good for the shore fishing ask Ken at the marina he will point you in the right direction.I havnt seen any of your fishing sales post latley

dkinla
02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Thx everyone who replied so far for your help...

Its been a while since I have been and I fish off a boat when there .But I do know that E point is usally good for the shore fishing ask Ken at the marina he will point you in the right direction.I havnt seen any of your fishing sales post latley

I'll definitely ask this guy for some help if he's around...

And yeah... Haven't had time to really post anything... But looks like some new/old members are posting deals too! That's great.

carpinator
02-18-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm headed up there in march and then again in april for the derby, water is low for now. Try rocky points with a deep drop off. Fish the marina , if your looking east towards drake cove fish the near side on the other side of the logs , try just west of jack rabbit flats off mohawk point, use a clear slip bobber with a crawler for small mouth bass there, or carolina rig with bait for trout, or also try fishing the bluffs to the far left of tequepis point. Inflate a night crawler(small or mini crawlers) or use power bait but roll it worm style, light line 2 lb flouro with long leader will help increase your chances, you can also kill some time by throwing lures , something with gold or chrome with orange stripes or dotes works well, good luck, and your rite afternoons are windy mornings and evenings are the best times to fish.

dkinla
02-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm headed up there in march and then again in april for the derby, water is low for now. Try rocky points with a deep drop off. Fish the marina , if your looking east towards drake cove fish the near side on the other side of the logs , try just west of jack rabbit flats off mohawk point, use a clear slip bobber with a crawler for small mouth bass there, or carolina rig with bait for trout, or also try fishing the bluffs to the far left of tequepis point. Inflate a night crawler(small or mini crawlers) or use power bait but roll it worm style, light line 2 lb flouro with long leader will help increase your chances, you can also kill some time by throwing lures , something with gold or chrome with orange stripes or dotes works well, good luck, and your rite afternoons are windy mornings and evenings are the best times to fish.

Wow! Thx for all the detailed info and tips. Yeah I think I'll try a little of everything and see what works... I really like the 1/2 inflated crawler these days... Maybe with a tad of some scent with it..

sbh801
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Try harvey's point with a clear slip bobber rig with nightcrawlers & garlic berkley power eggs(red) also powerbait in garlic and peach salmon in a ying & yang mix and #12 treble hook and 1/2 ounce egg sinker with 2 ft. leader.E point is good,marina side, straight down from steps with slip bobbers and nightcrawlers w/powereggs and powerbait.

dkinla
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Try harvey's point with a clear slip bobber rig with nightcrawlers & garlic berkley power eggs(red) also powerbait in garlic and peach salmon in a ying & yang mix and #12 treble hook and 1/2 ounce egg sinker with 2 ft. leader.E point is good,marina side, straight down from steps with slip bobbers and nightcrawlers w/powereggs and powerbait.

Thx guys for all these spots!! Too many to try it looks like!

dar30
06-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi,
Sorry off topic ,but I just wanted to know how far are the cabins from the lake? Can you fish from right in front of the cabins?
Thanks!