PDA

View Full Version : Looking for WIDE FLAT ROLLERS Maybe a pair of Roller Bunks or a creative solution

Stalker Of Fish
02-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for reading I am having a little bit of an issue launching my 14 ft Flat bottom boat at lake Skinner . I am having to back into the water
to far to make it easy to move my boat on and off it's trailer . The trailer is taller than what usually comes with a 14 ft Aluminum boat flat or
"V" bottom so that launching can take place on rivers in areas where ramps are either nonexistent or to far away to be practical .
The bunks are sitting on the trailers frame and can not be made to go lower . I use a Jeep Wrangler to tow and launch but because of the height
of the trailer and the Jeeps short wheelbase when I get in deep enough to just barely be buoyant enough to launch or or Summer I wouldn't care
about a LiL' water but it's BRRRRRRRRRR COLD! this time of year so i end up using the rear lift window to get in and out a P.I.A.

The Bunks are flat carpet so if I added rollers or converted to roller Bunks It would not be necessary to back in so far I could use the motor
to get off and on the trailer.
Anyone ever come up with something that would work for FLAT rollers maybe 4 to 5 feet wide ? I am able fabricate brackets and have Mig Welding equip.
So creative solutions are welcome!
Thanks

Vulture
02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
how about a 2x2 steel tube to extend the lenght of the tounge when you arrive at the lake. Dont know how much youll need but it sounds like a 5 foot section should do it.
just my 2cents.
Are the spring on your trailer over the axel ? If so how about routating the axel so youll have the springs under...this should lower your boat about 3 inches...that might be just enough. again 2 more cents.

Thanks for reading I am having a little bit of an issue launching my 14 ft Flat bottom boat at lake Skinner . I am having to back into the water
to far to make it easy to move my boat on and off it's trailer . The trailer is taller than what usually comes with a 14 ft Aluminum boat flat or
"V" bottom so that launching can take place on rivers in areas where ramps are either nonexistent or to far away to be practical .
The bunks are sitting on the trailers frame and can not be made to go lower . I use a Jeep Wrangler to tow and launch but because of the height
of the trailer and the Jeeps short wheelbase when I get in deep enough to just barely be buoyant enough to launch or or Summer I wouldn't care
about a LiL' water but it's BRRRRRRRRRR COLD! this time of year so i end up using the rear lift window to get in and out a P.I.A.

The Bunks are flat carpet so if I added rollers or converted to roller Bunks It would not be necessary to back in so far I could use the motor
to get off and on the trailer.
Anyone ever come up with something that would work for FLAT rollers maybe 4 to 5 feet wide ? I am able fabricate brackets and have Mig Welding equip.
So creative solutions are welcome!
Thanks

P.A.W.
02-21-2013, 05:34 AM
For the time being just tie a 20' rope from the bow to the trailer hitch. Just back it in with some speed and then pull forward leaving the boat in the water and you on dry land. Then just walk the boat to the dock using the leash. This can be made easier with some teflon pads on the bunks.

Stalker Of Fish
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
For the time being just tie a 20' rope from the bow to the trailer hitch. Just back it in with some speed and then pull forward leaving the boat in the water and you on dry land. Then just walk the boat to the dock using the leash. This can be made easier with some teflon pads on the bunks.
That's a good idea . I think the trailers tongue is the problem it is way to short I can't even open the rear door 1/2 way
because it hits the recovery winch . Some one has shortened it . Luckily the tongue is bolted on 4x4 box steel so I will
just get some of that in the right length. I would still like to have rollers it would make it easy take the boat off to service the boat or trailer at home . So I will be looking for a scrap trailer .