PDA

View Full Version : Looking for WIDE FLAT ROLLERS Maybe a pair of Roller Bunks or a creative solution

Stalker Of Fish
02-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for reading I am having a little bit of an issue launching my 14 ft Flat bottom boat at lake Skinner . I am having to back into the water
to far to make it easy to move my boat on and off it's trailer . The trailer is taller than what usually comes with a 14 ft Aluminum boat flat or
"V" bottom so that launching can take place on rivers in areas where ramps are either nonexistent or to far away to be practical .
The bunks are sitting on the trailers frame and can not be made to go lower . I use a Jeep Wrangler to tow and launch but because of the height
of the trailer and the Jeeps short wheelbase when I get in deep enough to just barely be buoyant enough to launch or or Summer I wouldn't care
about a LiL' water but it's BRRRRRRRRRR COLD! this time of year so i end up using the rear lift window to get in and out a P.I.A.

The Bunks are flat carpet so if I added rollers or converted to roller Bunks It would not be necessary to back in so far I could use the motor
to get off and on the trailer.
Anyone ever come up with something that would work for FLAT rollers maybe 4 to 5 feet wide ? I am able fabricate brackets and have Mig Welding equip.
So creative solutions are welcome!
Thanks

Skyler
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
You could possibly use a chain or come-along to lower the trailer down the ramp in conjunction with your trailer jack. Then your vehicle will stay high and dry, and you can walk the tongue to get in the boat.

Stalker Of Fish
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
I have a winch for my Jeep still a hassle to do that all the time I will probably order what I need if my search for a stripped town or parts trailer returns no love. The other option is to extend the tongue which is short.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Stalker
Maybe if you get 2 or 3 rubber rollers that are for boat trailers and mount them at the back of your trailer just an inch above the tail end of the trailer, that will work. I did that for my bro-in-law and it works great now. His trailer is pretty low, but at many lakes in Nor Cal the ramp is just wherever there's a clearing in the trees and brush to launch, which isn't always very deep.
Hope this helps.
TTFM

Skyler
02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a winch for my Jeep still a hassle to do that all the time I will probably order what I need if my search for a stripped town or parts trailer returns no love. The other option is to extend the tongue which is short.

Lengthening the tongue will probably be easier. Just need some square tubing. However your turning radius will change, especially when backing up. There is no way to lower the trailer's suspension (assuming it has any)? If not, you may be able to notch the frame and weld in some drop shackles of sorts. Or you could always do what the Alaskans do and coat the entire bottom of the boat in UHMW. Makes it slick as snot, and more durable.

drifter023
02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
If you post a photo will be better to give you a reply on what to do.

Stalker Of Fish
02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
If you post a photo will be better to give you a reply on what to do.

That's a very good idea. It is sprung on leafs . The tongue is very short and it actually keeps me from opening my rear door all the way because it hits the Trailer winch . Luckily I just noticed it passes in between
the side-members of the frame and is bolted on . So some 4'' x 4'' box steel 10-12ft long will put my jeep
where it should be and also allow the rear door full travel . I still would like to do some rollers they would
make it easy at home to do repairs and maintenance with the boat off the trailer . So I will put a picture up soon anyway .
Thank you.

drifter023
02-22-2013, 07:10 PM
One more thing I have a jk 08 and what you do need is a extened hitch for your reciever they help get the ball away from the bumper and spare. I also have a 14ft. jon boat and trailor that I did exstened the toung on the trailor by adding some square steel to it made it 1ft. longer and helps a bunch. Jeep hitch sucks tucked to far under other than that love it...

Stalker Of Fish
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
One more thing I have a jk 08 and what you do need is a extened hitch for your reciever they help get the ball away from the bumper and spare. I also have a 14ft. jon boat and trailor that I did exstened the toung on the trailor by adding some square steel to it made it 1ft. longer and helps a bunch. Jeep hitch sucks tucked to far under other than that love it...

Yeppers Jeep Spare wheels location causes the issue. The trailer tongue has been cut to less than three ft. total length.
Your JK has a little more wheel base then the Wranglers do so I will require a little more tongue .
thanks.

drifter023
02-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Brother you got to get the reciver with the ball longer they do sell the longer exstened ones. Plus you got to add more tounge lenght to the trailer and you will be a happy dry camper.
I said I added 12" but it was 18" here is what I did just do it and you will be glad you did plus some said if springs are on top of axle put below axle will really lower boat.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/trailertoung_zpsb4fb3589.jpg

Stalker Of Fish
02-24-2013, 07:57 PM
drifter023,
I absolutely agree with everything you have posted . Extended receiver hitch and trailer tongue lengthening and an axle/spring modification .

Today I changed the suspension From SPRING OVER to SPRING UNDER the axle . I also switched out the 15 inch wheels for a set of 10 inch wheels and tires and
moved the fenders down . I plan on finding an extended receiver hitch next and give that a try with the wheel and axle changes to see if that's enough to solve my problem . Before I switch out the trailer tongue, extend wiring and etc. I did not see any extended receiver hitches at PeP Boy's or Autozone this morning
so I will call U-Haul and few others who might have one in stock. Failing that I am sure one of the auto parts stores can special order one for me.

drifter023
02-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Hey love the jeep but towing and backing short trailers is not fun with them I know hate short trailers. Might want to try something like this does reduce the weight you can tow but with what you have no problem I use to tow 3,000lb. boat with jeep but only in the yard for tight parking spots.
http://www.easternmarine.com/12-hitch-receiver-tube-extension-2-sq-1804005 Plus this place will have everything you are looking for. Good luck and maybe see you out there at skinner some day...

Stalker Of Fish
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks that will work great. Just send me a P.M. when you are heading over to Skinner.
Once the Stripers start chomping I will be out there several days a week with my boy.
If you have kids they put in a water park to accompany the man made beach/pool swimming area.
My kids love it ,keeps Em' occupied when getting the BBQ underway.
Thanks for all your help.

drifter023
03-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Stalker, sounds good will do kids all growen and gone now but maybe get a grandbaby or two out there. I am adding down rigger on now so that might be the place to test it out, you camp out there alot if so are the campgrounds nice. Good luck staying dri....

Stalker Of Fish
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
I would say the campgrounds are fairly nice. Bathrooms/showers are usually clean . There is a campground store
and restaurant. A park like play area within sight of the campground . Then there is the water park and a man made beach/pool with lifeguards .It can be hot and dry there mid Summer but mid late to late Spring it's a little
greener and weather is nicer and a good time to be fishing.