PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood another day

karlow
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
I went back to the Wood today.
What a difference a week makes. The weather was dam nice for the most part.
The wind came up around 11Am, and it was cold and blowing about 12Kts by 2pm when I left.
As for the fish, the nice ones were hard to find, but the dinks wanted to play. For the day, I landed seven dinks.
Five got to go back to swim another day, I also ended up with four of the nice 3Lb class boys. No a bad day at all.
Most likely that is the high count for WetRide to date. I also picked up two LMB today. a personal best. i have never caught them on the troll before.
I had a 12" and a 8". That poor little guy was caught right before I left. I thought I had caught the bottom. I just headed for the dock and drug that poor little guy across the lake. As I reeled in the line guess what comes spinning in. The fish that I caught were scattered all around the lake. I did not meter many, and I did not get bit from the ones that that I did meter. All of the ones that I picked up were in water over 40ft deep, and I was trying to run my lines at about 35ft.

See ay on the water Boyz!

One other thing the water was 49.9F

Jmac
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Was gonna give it a shot but the wind picked up at my house (apple valley) so that means the wind is at least twice as bad at the wood. Went on Saturday for about 3 hours and threw swim baits for about 2 hours wuh no love. Managed 2 LMB on the drop shot.

AZ.Kid
02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
39193it was a nice day at the wood today, I did not even notice the wind till after 12. good to see you out there Karlow. I picked up 2 striper 3-5 # and 1 LMB 2+ # the fish looked to be fater than the ones from last week, like they had been eating better, but they had nothing in there stomach. the LMB was strange, belly was fat, but nothing in it, he seemed sick or something? did all I could to get him swiming again but he just kept bellying up. he had a lot of red spots inside his mouth, gill plates and in his throat.

I have to give Bob (T/O) credit for these fish, I would not have fished the area I caught them in if I had not went on a guid trip with hin back in Nov. I had actualy givin up on the wood till I went there with Bob, and listened to what he told me about the water changes and what to look for. this year I have been out to the wood 8-9 times and only skunked once. .........Thanks Bob........... I highly recomend T/O's service if you are having a hard time at your local lake. He knows his fish and is a fun dude to fish with.

dockboy
02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
39193it was a nice day at the wood today, I did not even notice the wind till after 12. good to see you out there Karlow. I picked up 2 striper 3-5 # and 1 LMB 2+ # the fish looked to be fater than the ones from last week, like they had been eating better, but they had nothing in there stomach. the LMB was strange, belly was fat, but nothing in it, he seemed sick or something? did all I could to get him swiming again but he just kept bellying up. he had a lot of red spots inside his mouth, gill plates and in his throat.

I have to give Bob (T/O) credit for these fish, I would not have fished the area I caught them in if I had not went on a guid trip with hin back in Nov. I had actualy givin up on the wood till I went there with Bob, and listened to what he told me about the water changes and what to look for. this year I have been out to the wood 8-9 times and only skunked once. .........Thanks Bob........... I highly recomend T/O's service if you are having a hard time at your local like. He knows his fish and is a fun dude to fish with.

If you caught that fish deeper than 40', it suffers barotrauma (fish version of the bends). LMB are like rockfish, they have a swim bladder to regulate depth. This bladder will increase rapidly with the pressure as you bring it up, especially if you are dragging a fish on on heavy trolling gear. The only way it will survive is if you deflate the bladder immediately, which you do with a hypodermic needle. Its a very small time frame, if you can't "fizz" a bass quickly the less likely it is to survive.

AZ.Kid
02-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Do you need to fizz a LMB different than other deep caught fish? most of the fish I have pulled up from deep water had the swim bladder sticking out of their mouth like they were blowing a bubble with gum, this one was not like that. and it was in 25 -30 ft of water. if I am missing something here on Fizzing a LMB please let know how it should be done. I use a worm threader or small hook for this, I don't have a hypodermic needle. I have never caught a LMB that I could not C&R.

seal
02-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Was gonna give it a shot but the wind picked up at my house (apple valley) so that means the wind is at least twice as bad at the wood. Went on Saturday for about 3 hours and threw swim baits for about 2 hours wuh no love. Managed 2 LMB on the drop shot.

Wind wasn't an issue, actually the perfect breeze really for a swimbait bite, but somebody should have told the fish they didn't get the memo.

kaneo
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Do you need to fizz a LMB different than other deep caught fish? most of the fish I have pulled up from deep water had the swim bladder sticking out of their mouth like they were blowing a bubble with gum, this one was not like that. and it was in 25 -30 ft of water. if I am missing something here on Fizzing a LMB please let know how it should be done. I use a worm threader or small hook for this, I don't have a hypodermic needle. I have never caught a LMB that I could not C&R. most tackle shops carry fizzing tools.. just google it on how to fizz a bass.... their swimbaldder is not like a rock fish when the bladder comes out of their mouth.. you can go thru the mouth right above the crushers, or on the side of the body !! there is a lot of you tube videos on how to " fizz a bass " there is also some weight device that allows you to release the fish to swim deep and you can release the weight, once it gets deep enough..

Jmac
02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Fizzed my first LMB 2 weeks ago, neat experience. You can pick up hyperdermic needles at a veterinary store.

karlow
02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Humm,
They swam away.
They seemed OK to me.
My bass are fizz free.
Now the ones on my tacos, they were a little fizzy.
But hay,I was frying them suckers up!

Psss Jack nailed 6 stripers today, Joe and his friend got two limits.
Most of the fish are dinks, but there are a few 3lbs class fish in the mix for the boyz.

AZ.Kid
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
most tackle shops carry fizzing tools.. just google it on how to fizz a bass.... their swimbaldder is not like a rock fish when the bladder comes out of their mouth.. you can go thru the mouth right above the crushers, or on the side of the body !! there is a lot of you tube videos on how to " fizz a bass " there is also some weight device that allows you to release the fish to swim deep and you can release the weight, once it gets deep enough..

Thanks for the info. I ordered the "Bends Mender" from tackle warehouse. anyone know where to get a release weight? I like the release basket thing as well. might just have to make one of those.

dockboy
02-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the "Bends Mender" from tackle warehouse. anyone know where to get a release weight? I like the release basket thing as well. might just have to make one of those.
The release weights are usually sold as saltwater rockfish gear. Most release baskets are just milk crates weighted down to sink, idk of any available on the market. Go through the crushers wih the bends mender, its easier than the lateral line method. The crushers are typically red or dark pink.

AZ.Kid
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
The release weights are usually sold as saltwater rockfish gear. Most release baskets are just milk crates weighted down to sink, idk of any available on the market. Go through the crushers wih the bends mender, its easier than the lateral line method. The crushers are typically red or dark pink.

Most of the articles I read said the side method had a better survival rate than mouth fizzing.
http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2011/aug/scout1_bassfizzing/

Side fizzing doesn’t appear to hurt the bass, and it isn’t difficult to do. If a tournament-caught fish shows signs of barotrauma, “we recommend that the angler go ahead and side-fizz the fish, within the first hour if possible,” Myers says.

Fish that were mouth-fizzed fared worse than those that weren’t treated at all. Some bled excessively, and a significant number died. Researchers can’t say for sure why this happened, but Myers can make an educated guess. “When you use mouth fizzing, you’re piercing the business end of the air bladder. That’s where all the nerves and blood vessels are,” he says. “We don’t recommend that treatment.”

dockboy
02-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Most of the articles I read said the side method had a better survival rate than mouth fizzing.
http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2011/aug/scout1_bassfizzing/

Side fizzing doesn’t appear to hurt the bass, and it isn’t difficult to do. If a tournament-caught fish shows signs of barotrauma, “we recommend that the angler go ahead and side-fizz the fish, within the first hour if possible,” Myers says.

Fish that were mouth-fizzed fared worse than those that weren’t treated at all. Some bled excessively, and a significant number died. Researchers can’t say for sure why this happened, but Myers can make an educated guess. “When you use mouth fizzing, you’re piercing the business end of the air bladder. That’s where all the nerves and blood vessels are,” he says. “We don’t recommend that treatment.”

OK, but missing the bladder on the side fizz can do just as much damage. Puncturing internal organs and causing internal bleeding in the fish is dangerous also. Not saying you should absolutely mouth fizz, but from my experience (a couple dozen winter tournaments on deep reservoirs, often for spotted bass in 40-60 foot range) it works well with minimal damage IF done correctly. I've lost 2 fish total of hundreds of deep caught fish. It takes precision and experience. The article references "within an hour", but mouth fizz or side fizz the fish absolutely have a better chance of survival if you take care of them immediately.