PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube Anchor

Stitch
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey fellas,

I'm just curious what size anchor I should I purchase? I'm fishing from a fish cat 4 and I weigh roughly about 160 lbs.

Is a 5 lb. anchor heavy enough to hold me down in place? I float tube at our local SARL, Corona Lake and Irvine Lake.

I know float tube's advantage is to be able to drift around, but I would really like one to have around on those windy days and not having to give my legs a beating.

If you have one and have a brand/model you would recommend, please post. Thanks!

fishmounter
02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
There's a great little folding anchor that is made for float tubers and kayakers. It's a folding grapnel type anchor made by Seafit, and weighs only about 2 lbs. Costs about $12.00 and I believe Angler's Marine carried it. I use a 5 lb hand exercise weight. Works pretty good in the breeze. Just make sure you let out a lot of thin nylon rope. In 20 FOW, I let out 50 feet.

Pudd Legend
02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Check the link. Awesome anchor. I ordered 2 online in 2.2 lb. Was recommended this and this is MUCH better than the folding tri-claw anchors. I've used the tri-claw for a while and it tends to drag in mud and not set. The Lewmar Claw holds me in high winds up in Crowley Lake for fly fishing on the tube (fishcat 4). And under $10 +shipping of course unless you can find one at your local west marine. Good luck.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=45359&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50304&subdeptNum=50319&classNum=50321#.USG49uivIXw

HBAR
02-19-2013, 06:17 AM
I saw the last time I went to dicks sporting goods in the kayak section (I would say fishing but here in commie kalifornia they dont carry fishing equipment anymore) 100ft of anchor rope for like 10 bucks

Caliyak
02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Stitch, I bought a 3lb sledge hammer and my yak is stuck where I drop it. I like the round head because it's compact, no hooks or points, painted it black for rust and it's solid. Bought it at my local ace hardware.

Stitch
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like a weight 3-5 lbs be heavy enough to keep me in place when I find a sweet honey hole . I'll be out at irvine this Saturday, if u see me paddle up and say hi!

OC ANGLER
02-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Personally I don't like having a anchor fish can twist you around, fish can wrap it self around the anchor line, or maybe you catch that big one and you need to run after him. With a good set of fins its fairly easy to stay in a spot with a little wind and if the wind really picks up I really don't like being out there in that anyway.

But if you must have one just head to your local play it again sports store and grab a used 3-5lb weight then go to Home Depot and pick up some paracord.

Knives
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like a weight 3-5 lbs be heavy enough to keep me in place when I find a sweet honey hole . I'll be out at irvine this Saturday, if u see me paddle up and say hi!

I think I met up with you on saturday. Do you remember talking to a guy in a yellow prowler 15 wearing a black SoCal cap?

aramirez1988
02-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I was in the market for something similar for my inflatable Sevylor raft. My maiden voyage on it was short lived due to me getting blown across SARL a few weeks back. I finally got this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kayak-Canoe-1-5-pound-Grapnel-Anchor-30-feet-rope-and-storage-bag-/260854471882

I still need to give it a go, but I am planning on getting a longer rope since 30 feet isn't much.

Hometown
02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
The anchor Pudd Legend mentioned is great I use it on my 10 ft aluminum boat hangs no problem just use 3 or feet of chain I use 12 feet for the boat the chain allows for the anchor to lay on the bottom right and dig in