PDA

View Full Version : 2/16/13 Starting the Skunk in the Eye and Winning

DMS
02-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Lately we have been scratching out one or two to beat the skunk, so we figured we were due. Off to Pyramid this time and brought some sardines to try B&W if we found a good looking spot. Ran into Ron and his group in line, so we said hello, complimented each others boat and headed to launch. There were only a few ahead of us in line, but down about the ramp there were about 40 trailers already dripping water. Another bass tourney.
Launched and trolled through the channel for no customers.
so we headed out and found a nice looking spot off a point... shallow water, deep water, a high spot some marks and anchored.
About 90 minutes later Ron swings by still looking for the right biters, and I told him.. "not yet".
About 15 minutes later we got bit and in short order 1,2,3,4 we have 3 jailbirds and a 6# or so channel kittie. Lulu handled that cat like she had caught 1,000 of them and about that time the wind kicked in from the other direction and we swung a bit.
Don't really think the swing was was shut them off, but they shut off.
Tried a bit of trolling and another spot or two with bait and explored the lake and out!
Saw an osprey too..
Some nice board members at the dock.
What a beautiful nice day too!
At the dock got into a couple discussions with other fishers, most were living the skunk so I told them about these boards and referred them to TroutOnly Bob to learn how to catch'um.
Can't wait for next time.

Fishbones
02-16-2013, 08:29 PM
High five for lulu, those kittys can put up a good fight, Ron and i had some biggens couple months ago..too bad bout the bite shutting off, at least you got a few.

fishinarteest
02-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Lately we have been scratching out one or two to beat the skunk, so we figured we were due. Off to Pyramid this time and brought some sardines to try B&W if we found a good looking spot. Ran into Ron and his group in line, so we said hello, complimented each others boat and headed to launch. There were only a few ahead of us in line, but down about the ramp there were about 40 trailers already dripping water. Another bass tourney.
Launched and trolled through the channel for no customers.
so we headed out and found a nice looking spot off a point... shallow water, deep water, a high spot some marks and anchored.
About 90 minutes later Ron swings by still looking for the right biters, and I told him.. "not yet".
About 15 minutes later we got bit and in short order 1,2,3,4 we have 3 jailbirds and a 6# or so channel kittie. Lulu handled that cat like she had caught 1,000 of them and about that time the wind kicked in from the other direction and we swung a bit.
Don't really think the swing was was shut them off, but they shut off.
Tried a bit of trolling and another spot or two with bait and explored the lake and out!
Saw an osprey too..
Some nice board members at the dock.
What a beautiful nice day too!
At the dock got into a couple discussions with other fishers, most were living the skunk so I told them about these boards and referred them to TroutOnly Bob to learn how to catch'um.
Can't wait for next time.

Way too beat the skunk. What time did you guys get out there.

DMS
02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
We were there in line before the lake opened. This is a given.... Mixed feelings about those bass torneys... On one hand why do they get a head start on the other hand at least the ramp was free by the time I got in. Also some of those guys are speed demons looking for their fishy point and waking us at anchor and the like. I also wonder this time of year haw many of those bass can't survive being pulled up. On of the stripers we caught sitting on anchor at 55' had its stomach coming out of its mouth just like a rock cod.
Don't get me wrong as I don't have a problem with the idea of a tourney, and most of the guys are just enjoying the lake like me, except they are competing and I'm just trying to enjoy some down time.
Just was shocked to see 40 dripping trailers when I'm 8th in line and the 4th with a boat.

Fishin With Phil
02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Nice work Dan.

It was nice meeting you.

Thanks for referring me to this great site!

Great cat for Lulu!

I appreciate you taking the time to give me a few tips on trying to figure this lake out!

I hope to see you again, and hope more to give you some tips next time!

Take it easy!
Phil

fishinone
02-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice seeing you out there Dan.

I was glad to hear that you picked up a few on Saturday. I almost poached your spot on Monday but went back to Yellow Bar.

I picked up 2, 2 1/2 lbers on Saturday, they were really dropping the baits quick, the crew missed all of their biters. Monday was better with 14 total in half a day, for 2 of us.

DMS
02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Ron, glad to hear you got a couple and then whacked em on Monday. About the spot... I looked around in that area for about 45 minutes trying to find the place to put the anchors down... didn't want to crowd you, didn't want homeland security arresting me for being too close to the dang dam, and wanted to see the right feel and ended up with a good location that I will try again. Just wanted the right mix of conditions and bottom. It really feels good to get a feel for a spot you never fished before, try it, and have it payoff. I hope to get back out on Saturday... hope it is nice again. Sitting at work drafting contest and sweepstakes Official Rules right now after eating striper for lunch.
DMS

fishinone
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
I've fished that spot quite a few times. It produces when you find the fish on it. Like any other spot I guess. There's another one just down the way that is one of my favorites and one just past that that's almost as good.

Good luck on Saturday.

Fishin With Phil
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Way to go fishinone!

I can't wait to get into a school like that!

I'll be out Saturday. Hope to see you there Dan.

I'll be with an outboard now so I should be able to fish closer to the dam.

Hope to see you guys out there!

I'll either be with my dog or my brother-in-law.

Hasta Saturday,
Phil