PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Sandcrab

auntrout
02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
New to the site and really appreciate all the great info. Been away from inshore fishing for awhile. Used to do the perch derbies up at Wylie's over 30 years ago. Have been trout fishing for the last 20 years but decided I really need to get back into fishing in my own backyard in the surf. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using the Berkley sandcrab. Picked up a bag at the recommendation of a guy at Sports Chalet, but just doesn't seem as realistic as the sandworms. I'm thinking I might have better luck tying a imitation crab on my tying vise. Also, thinking about picking up a longer rod, currently using a 6'6" med-light which I use to throw larger trout lures. I was thinking about getting a Shimano Clarus 8'6" medium. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

DockRat
02-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Welcome to FNN. I tried them and found them not very affective.
Are you going to target Corbina ?
A couple years back I picked up a cheap light plastic pasta strainer.
Then I clip it on my bag.
A couple big sand scoops of crabs then dip it in the next wave (to remove the sand) and you can have quite a few to pick from. It is a fast way to sort out a lot of crabs for the good ones.
DR

auntrout
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks DR
Like the idea about the pasta strainer. Was down near Avenue F today had 3 BSP, one was decent in size, and short halibut.

Nub
02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Love the pasta strainer idea

PokerFish
02-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Welcome to FNN. I tried them and found them not very affective.
Are you going to target Corbina ?
A couple years back I picked up a cheap light plastic pasta strainer.
Then I clip it on my bag.
A couple big sand scoops of crabs then dip it in the next wave (to remove the sand) and you can have quite a few to pick from. It is a fast way to sort out a lot of crabs for the good ones.
DR

Are sand crabs seasonal or are they on SoCal beaches year-round?

DockRat
02-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Tougher in some areas in winter. Usually can be found next to rocks or pilings in winter.

DockRat
02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Was down near Avenue F today had 3 BSP, one was decent in size, and short halibut.
I was watching a couple guys from above fishing mid Torrance parking lot about 8:30.
Decided to pass on it today.

auntrout
02-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Fished the stretch of water between Aveune C and the Topaz jetty today with no luck. I was out there between 11 - 1 and it was pretty rough; getting back into surf fishing so trying to figure things out. I'm thinking I should be out there before a high or low tide. Had better luck yesterday getting out there before the high tide. Either way it was great to be out there. Is the mid-Torrance parking lot the one next to Miramar Park?

DockRat
02-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Is the mid-Torrance parking lot the one next to Miramar Park?
Yes, Miramar or Burnout. The last big lot up to Torrance Beach.

City Dad
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Are sand crabs seasonal or are they on SoCal beaches year-round?

In the winter I've come across decent crab beds around sand-bagged areas. Don't know why, but those sand-bags seem to attract crabs.

IMHO if you're gonna bother gathering natural bait, you might as well go with mussel. Easier to catch and as good or better than crabs in my experience.

auntrout
02-21-2013, 07:04 PM
If I can't get to fresh mussel, how does the frozen stuff work?

City Dad
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
If I can't get to fresh mussel, how does the frozen stuff work?

Never tried it... If I'm after perch and not fishing grubs or fresh, natural bait I go with Berkley Gulp sandworms. They work pretty well in most situations. (My daughter, City Girl, caught a juvenile leopard shark on the stuff.)

auntrout
02-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks. I've also been using the Camo Sandworm with some Calico Cocktail.

City Dad
02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks. I've also been using the Camo Sandworm with some Calico Cocktail.

I think that combo is pretty hard to beat (for perch) most of the time. In winter/early spring however, I've seemed to have a little better luck with grubs - at least on the bigger fish.

auntrout
02-23-2013, 01:24 PM
When you say grubs are they the rubber curlytail or swimtail grubs used for trout, etc. Or is this a live bait? Thanks.

geedavell
02-24-2013, 07:44 AM
I also haven't surf fished in a while. When i did i would use ghost shrimp or blood worms. They worked great but cost. plus I had to drive some where that sold them. You guys recommend using mussels. Whats the best way to hook those things?? I have better luck blowing my nose and putting that on a hook! Every time i tried them they would come off the hook while casting. help me

LBSea
02-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Try the Berkley sand worms, they seem to work the best for peach out of all the Berkley products. The sand crabs from Berkely are just crap and have never work for anyone I know. They should just discontinue the sand crab.

auntrout
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks. Any other Berkley baits you have any luck with. So far only used the sandworms with the Calico Cocktail. Usually reapply the cocktail after 15-20 casts.

City Dad
02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
When you say grubs are they the rubber curlytail or swimtail grubs used for trout, etc. Or is this a live bait? Thanks.

Big Hammer curly tail "Perch Grubs." Motor Oil/Redflake color are kinda the standard. Slather on a little Calico Cocktail and you're in business.

I also haven't surf fished in a while. When i did i would use ghost shrimp or blood worms. They worked great but cost. plus I had to drive some where that sold them. You guys recommend using mussels. Whats the best way to hook those things?? I have better luck blowing my nose and putting that on a hook! Every time i tried them they would come off the hook while casting. help me

I've found that the tougher tissue around the edge of the mussel shell (some call it the "lip") works best. I like to leave my mussels intact until right before I bait up. Then I take an oyster knife, pry 'em open and trim that "lip" right off of one half of the shell. Depending on the size of the mussel, you'll have a sort of worm-shaped piece of meat two to four inches long. I thread that on like a lugworm or blood worm. Then I take the center mass - the guts, etc., and glom that on the hook as best I can. Sometimes this stays on for the cast, sometimes it doesn't. Either way the lip meat will stay on and a little added mussel scent probably doesn't hurt.

One note: Obviously, perch and croaker are gonna eat that mussel - and that'll mean some gut hooks. Please... please do Mother Ocean (and us humans) a favor and practice responsible angling. There are far too many spots that were once great that are now dink-city or worse because folks got greedy.

Bigfoot see's all!