PDA

View Full Version : Storing rod and reel

Lightline
02-15-2013, 08:25 PM
How do you guy store your rod and reels?

do you take the reel of the rod and put it away and then when you go fishing you put it back together at the location where your Gona fish or do you leave it on your rod?

HBAR
02-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I've never taken the reels off my rods, in fact I have a rod holder set up inside my expedition that keeps the rods just under the inside and basically out of the way. It took some time to get it almost perfect, but I mixed and matched some stuff until I got something that works. A few have taken notice and do the same thing. I know I'm taking a chance by leaving them in my truck all the time as well as other gear but (KNOCK ON WOOD) I've been lucky that no one has messed with my gear. I've even left the truck in valet mode after going fishing and when back at home all the doors have remained unlocked and nothing came up missing.

Marley
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I always take apart my saltwater rigs, never my freshwater. .

Troutman65
02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
I always take my reels off and put them in a soft side tackle back I use to store my reels . My fishing rods go into either a storage tube or a rod bag I have . It kind of is a pain to set up each time but I do it . I spent a lot of money on my fishing gear I have now and I take great care of it . Now back in the day ( not all that long ago LOL ) I had all ugly Sticks for my trout fishing and cheep shimano 1000 rear drag reels ($29.00 ) walmart special. I would never take the reel off the rod and would leave in the back of my truck. After a few years the sun did major damage to the fishing rods and decided to upgrade my gear and to take care of it .

seal
02-16-2013, 12:24 PM
It all depends on where you store it and how often you fish I think. I don't take them off but I store my rods inside or in the back of my truck which has a shell, oh and I fish most everyday big time hassle to take the reels off each time.

P.A.W.
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Nope, all rods and reels lay on the deck of my boat in the garage. Well sometimes I leave a few at home standing in a corner. Only time the reels come off the rod is if I'm having them strung or repaired.

DEVOREFLYER
02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
My fly rods all have the reels taken off the rods and the rods and reels cased/bagged and put in a cabinet in my garage. All of my casting and spinning rods are in my boat rod locker loaded and ready for fishin'.

Shewillbemine
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I fish way too often to be taking them apart for "storage". Heck, in the off season (winter) I still go out 2-3 days a week so they're just laid flat and out of the way.

DockRat
02-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Have 3 rods stored in the car 24/7, reels don't come off.
Slightly bent position. Sometimes they get the salt rinsed off.
FYI for you clean fanatics. I know guys at the marina that buy brand new 4 stroke motors and NEVER rinse them. One dude just bought a brand new 7.5 hp Merc for his dinghy to get to his big boat on the mooring. They never flush them (yes they should) but they don't care.
Use them and abuse them.
DR