PDA

View Full Version : SARL 2/14/13 from a boat

allanon
02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Was going to meet a friend at SARL today, but he couldn't make it so went solo from a boat.

It was tough fishing until I (finally) found a decent bite around 2pm.
Managed to limit out, but it wasn't easy today. Was really wondering why it was difficult today, then I watched the stocking video just now.
Lots of fish went into the pens, which explains it.

I'm not complaining, as I did limit out, but it wasn't easy today, that is for sure.

Caught most of my fish on pink body white head mice tails, 1 fish on orange body green head. NO bites at all on powerbait (used multiple colors) all day.
I don't think that has ever happened to me (besides skunk days of course).

Water is getting warmer - it was 60 by the time I left at 4pm.

Tight lines everyone! Good luck in the tourney this weekend!

Frequent Flyer
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Shocking about fish going into pens....good job out there nonetheless

Fysher
02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Tourney this weekend there. That's probably why the fish are in the holding pens. Other than that, if you watch the stocking videos, all fish goes into the lake and not holding pens.

Will be there next Thursday for the first time since the new layout.

allanon
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I was aware of the tourney. Although if you say you don't put fish in the pens anymore (except for your kiddie pond) then you shouldn't. If you announce you are stocking Thur then you should announce that you will be putting them in pens too for your tourney. Its about disclosure.

I had multiple choices to fish Thur (SARL, Irvine Lake, Laguna Niguel) and only 1 of those lakes puts their fish in holding pens. Won't make that mistake again.
What would have happened if I fished LNL? Limit? 10 fish day? Skunk? Who knows? Even if I skunked, I wouldn't feel mislead.

Like I said above, I'm happy I caught a limit, but I don't like being misled.

Lesson learned.

etucker1959
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=allanon;656141]Yeah, I was aware of the tourney. Although if you say you don't put fish in the pens anymore (except for your kiddie pond) then you shouldn't. If you announce you are stocking Thur then you should announce that you will be putting them in pens too for your tourney. Its about disclosure.

I had multiple choices to fish Thur (SARL, Irvine Lake, Laguna Niguel) and only 1 of those lakes puts their fish in holding pens. Won't make that mistake again.
What would have happened if I fished LNL? Limit? 10 fish day? Skunk? Who knows? Even if I skunked, I wouldn't feel mislead.

Like I said above, I'm happy I caught a limit, but I don't like being misled.

Yea what he said!

quix
02-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Not sure what's going on but I was there from 6 to 12 today (Friday) and didn't see one fish pulled out of the water by anybody. Tried the mice tails and PB... all sorts of colors and scents. Nothin'. I'm not saying the fish are in holding pens... but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Surfnsnowboard3
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I just watched the video. It says "on top of the normal weekly stocked fish, we are holding a bonus amount of fish in the pens." So based on that, the same amount of fish went into the lake as usual. The ones in the pens are bonus/extra.

Marley
02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I just watched the video. It says "on top of the normal weekly stocked fish, we are holding a bonus amount of fish in the pens." So based on that, the same amount of fish went into the lake as usual. The ones in the pens are bonus/extra.

That's what I heard, too. Those pens are such an easy target for grousing. When did anyone say they weren't holding fish in the pens?
(edit) I just re-read the original post and the day was from a boat. Do you always fish there from a boat? Just curious, it's a different place to fish from a boat.

Troutin Man
02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
What the hell is all this talk about pens? Who cares...fish are in there. Just gotta get 'em to bite and pull those suckers in! sometimes, they just ain't gonna bite and that's how it rolls. Paying the 25 doesn't guarantee *#@$.

Poxy Boggards
02-15-2013, 11:17 PM
I think the wind killed the bite today. It was not easy fishing by any means. I think they saved the majority of the stocking for the tournament tomorrow. Should be a good day out there tomorrow, and hopefully the wind won't show up like it did today. Good luck to everyone fishing the tourney tomorrow!

etucker1959
02-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Iv'e got a question for you guys!!! Is their a difference in the amount of fish they put in each tank each week? This week two tanks went into the big lake and part of those fish were put in the pens. In the last tourney they had, two full tanks went directly in the big lake and a third tank of fish went into the pens. See where my question is going? I would ASSUME (we all know where that leads) lol to get the economy of scale in delivering their fish, you would think they would fill each tank to the brim with trout. I really don't know the answer, but maybe somebody else does.

etucker1959
02-16-2013, 09:04 AM
That's what I heard, too. Those pens are such an easy target for grousing. When did anyone say they weren't holding fish in the pens?
(edit) I just re-read the original post and the day was from a boat. Do you always fish there from a boat? Just curious, it's a different place to fish from a boat.

To answer your question (When did anyone say they weren't holding fish in the pens?) The announcer on the stocking video this year, I heard it myself. Don't get me wrong, I love SARL, Irvine and LNL lakes, but each week I love whoever stocks the best fish. Next week for sure it will be SARL because of the lighting trout.

seal
02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Oh the humanity! You chased the truck and the truck didn't deliver a 50 fish day, yes next time go to Laguna Niguel, but wait did I not read several threads where the chasers were devestated because the truck didn't show up on time? Such is the life of a truck chaser.

By the way this post was made just for fun, I know somebody's going to dig up a certain Perris or DVL thread and use it against me, think we need a new "club" the truck chasers club or TCC.

phishin phool
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Oh the humanity! You chased the truck and the truck didn't deliver a 50 fish day, yes next time go to Laguna Niguel, but wait did I not read several threads where the chasers were devestated because the truck didn't show up on time? Such is the life of a truck chaser.

By the way this post was made just for fun, I know somebody's going to dig up a certain Perris or DVL thread and use it against me, think we need a new "club" the truck chasers club or TCC.
Team TTC(trout truck chasers) in the house:LOL: I am a charter member but OP is the leader of the pack....funny post bro....

etucker1959
02-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Someone already beat you to the punch, it's called TROUT WARS. The lakes themselves try to beat each other up all the time. The problem is the lakes make gaffs all the time and people just point them out.

socal114
02-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Team TTC(trout truck chasers) in the house:LOL: I am a charter member but OP is the leader of the pack....funny post bro....
That is too funny, we were just talking about this "club" the other day...Seal has ESP!

Marley
02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
To answer your question (When did anyone say they weren't holding fish in the pens?) The announcer on the stocking video this year, I heard it myself. Don't get me wrong, I love SARL, Irvine and LNL lakes, but each week I love whoever stocks the best fish. Next week for sure it will be SARL because of the lighting trout.

I think I remember that video. Back towards the beginning of the season when they weren't holding any fish because they wanted to get fish in the lake for people to catch. People look at those pens as such a deception. Please. I've actually heard someone say that if they can't fish the entire stock, they're being cheated. Blows me away because at the moment the guy across the lake clips his first fish to his stringer, you're no longer "fishing the entire plant."
I've always said that even though these are hatchery fish, they're not pushovers and they do take a bit of talent, know-how and luck to catch. Folks just need to remember that when they go out.

seal
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Someone already beat you to the punch, it's called TROUT WARS. The lakes themselves try to beat each other up all the time. The problem is the lakes make gaffs all the time and people just point them out.

I think the lakes are doing a disservice to themselves when they pronounce ahead of time when the lakes will be stocked without a caveat/disclaimer to all the TCC's out there that there is no guarantee and that stocking a certain amount of pounds weekly on a certain day is a "target" not a guarantee (they probably already do but I'm not going to go find that info on their websites), in fact they should alter stocking days to confuse the hell out of the anglers, I base this just on the idea it would be fun to mess with the TCC's, but I believe part of the reason they announce it is because they get a "bump" in attendance on an otherwise slow midweek day. Also if the C&R guys are unaware of when the stocking will be more fish will survive their C&R powerbait efforts to be caught later on, cutting down on the waste of good fish to the rule breaking C&R crowd.

phishin phool
02-17-2013, 10:18 AM
That is too funny, we were just talking about this "club" the other day...Seal has ESP!
Yeah, funny coincidence. This is the new "Pro staff" on the local lakes. Team TTC, we are gonna give all those other awesome trout anglers from all the other "Pro Staffs":ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:like bite-on, LipRipperz, Trout King(my preference), B.Line, Shauns Smoking crack head jigs, Pee wee's, and any other I might have forgot, a run for their money.

Fishbones
02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
plus Irvine stocks halibut too, you cant beat that...
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG955529_zpsfcaf9889.jpg

Marley
02-18-2013, 09:35 AM
plus Irvine stocks halibut too, you cant beat that...
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG955529_zpsfcaf9889.jpg

LOL. Is that one of those Silverado Slabs? Looks like it hit back in the flats. Appropriate, no?