PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube help for trout fishing rigging technique

Stitch
02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Sup Fellas,

I'm a bit of a rookie float tuber and planning to go to the Irvine lake this Saturday for some tubing action with my buddies. Question for y'all veterans is how to you guys rig up your setup?

1) I'm planning to use power floating mice tails and trout king worm plastics. What type and size hooks should I use? What's the preferred technique to hooking the bait to the hook? Should I thread the mice tails through where the ball is and out through the worm part leaving part of the hook exposed? For trout king plastic works, should I have pinch off a certain length and just hook it through the middle?

2) What type of rigging should I use and type of weight? Carolina-style w/ a egg sinker? Or would it be just easier just pinching a split shot above the hook? Maybe use those sliding bullet weights above a swivel? What size weight to hook ratio?

3) How long of a leader do you guys typically find success with?

4) If drifting and just dragging the bait, how far of a line do you typically let loose?

I know I asked a lot of questions, it would greatly be appreciated and make our fishing adventure this weekend more enjoyable. Thanks in advance!

Prowler_Tuber
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Sup Fellas,

I'm a bit of a rookie float tuber and planning to go to the Irvine lake this Saturday for some tubing action with my buddies. Question for y'all veterans is how to you guys rig up your setup?

1) I'm planning to use power floating mice tails and trout king worm plastics. What type and size hooks should I use? What's the preferred technique to hooking the bait to the hook? Should I thread the mice tails through where the ball is and out through the worm part leaving part of the hook exposed? For trout king plastic works, should I have pinch off a certain length and just hook it through the middle? THREAD THEM IF YOUR JUST STARTING.

2) What type of rigging should I use and type of weight? Carolina-style w/ a egg sinker? Or would it be just easier just pinching a split shot above the hook? Maybe use those sliding bullet weights above a swivel? What size weight to hook ratio? SINGLE SPLIT SHOT BB USE A #8 OWNER MOSQUITO HOOK

3) How long of a leader do you guys typically find success with? START WITH 18" BUT NO LESS OF YOUR DRAGGING THE WORM BEHIND YOU

4) If drifting and just dragging the bait, how far of a line do you typically let loose? I LET OUT ANYWHERE FROM 40'-80' DEPENDING ON TRAFFIC, MAKE SURE YOUR USING #2 TEST OR #3 LINE NO MORE THAN #4. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE

I know I asked a lot of questions, it would greatly be appreciated and make our fishing adventure this weekend more enjoyable. Thanks in advance!

Watch out for other boaters as well

Stitch
02-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Prowler! I'm planning to head out to Irvine again this Saturday and will try out your tips. If u see a newbie out there look weird, that's me so swing by and say hi!

vdubfiend
02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
All good advice.

Keep trying new colors til you find what they want.... pink, white, orange, yellow, chartreuse etc.

Last weekend I got all mine on pink
Week before that it was yellow/white..

Lots of cool people out there on the water willing to share info
See you out there
Bobby