PDA

View Full Version : waders surf fishing

Soundguy2
02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
hey guys, so I got tired of fishing the piers dealing with surfers (venice pier) and people bugging me. I decided to start fishing from the beach yes I have my license. I've been fishing off the rocks far north of the sm pier. its been great catching lots of perch a few monsters. Any how I was wonder if it's worth getting some waders or is the water going to warm up soon? Last week I waded out in shorts it was pretty cold after a while.
Please tell me if you wear waders or not.
Should I just man up and deal with the water temp?
Does it make a world of difference wearing waders or are they a pain to deal with? ( might be a pain for me to transport I ride my bike when I go fishing.)
If I did get waders I was going to get boot fit ones and not spend over $100.00. I'm 6ft5 270lb 13 shoe size is it going to be hard to get waders that fit and yes i know to go loose fitting.

Just a heads up fish and game asked to see me license the other day.
Sorry if this has been a topic before.
ps thanks to some one found a lc 110 flash minnow hooked to the rocks it still looked nice I'm stoked but sorry for them.
Can you catch halibut around the drainpipe area?
hit me up if you want to go fishing if you fish that same area just started fishing around new years still new to it.

connordoyle
02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Sounds like we have a similar story. I started fishing the venice pier over the summer, then became officially obsessed with fishing and now its a huge part of my life. I'm a musician and spend about half the year on the road and the other half in LA with not much to do, so fishing is perfect for me. After getting my 2013 license I said farewell to the pier, bought a decent surf combo and waders and never looked back. Best fishing decision I ever made. About the waders, you don't "need" the waders. Theres very few things you actually "need" but I find there are some things that will make your session more comfortable and enjoyable. When you wanna pull a 6 or 7 hour fishing session some comfortable waders and a nice light weight combo will make it worth while. Fishing off the rocks can be a good time if the fish are right around it, but usually they're somewhere else. Walking a stretch fan casting with gulp sandworm on a c-rig its amazing how the fish come out of the wood works. Hope to see you out on the sand soon!

peanutbutter
02-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Sounds like we have a similar story. I started fishing the venice pier over the summer, then became officially obsessed with fishing and now its a huge part of my life. I'm a musician and spend about half the year on the road and the other half in LA with not much to do, so fishing is perfect for me. After getting my 2013 license I said farewell to the pier, bought a decent surf combo and waders and never looked back. Best fishing decision I ever made. About the waders, you don't "need" the waders. Theres very few things you actually "need" but I find there are some things that will make your session more comfortable and enjoyable. When you wanna pull a 6 or 7 hour fishing session some comfortable waders and a nice light weight combo will make it worth while. Fishing off the rocks can be a good time if the fish are right around it, but usually they're somewhere else. Walking a stretch fan casting with gulp sandworm on a c-rig its amazing how the fish come out of the wood works. Hope to see you out on the sand soon!
x2 good info.

Soundguy2
02-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Connordoyle thats funny I'm a monitor engineer and had just finished a year long record cycle with a band and was bored so I decided to start fishing and now I'm addicted to it and go just about every day for a few hours. I have some fly dates coming up and I was looking to see if there was anyplace to fish around them pretty funny. Hope to see you fishing one day I should be out there this weekend.
Ps if your looking for a monitor guy im looking for a tour.

connordoyle
02-15-2013, 08:02 AM
That's funny! It's a good hobby for our lifestyle. I head to Australia next week and I'm already trying to figure out some fishing down there.

greg
02-15-2013, 08:25 AM
I have been surf fishing for the past 5-6 years and finally got tired of freezing after a few hours of fishing. Just picked up a set of waders from Bass Pro Shop (on line) for $69. Comes with built in boots with lug bottoms (stay away from the felt bottoms since these are designed for stream fishing while walking on algae slick rocks). May sure you check the sizing chart prior to your purchase. They just arrived Tuesday and I still haven't fished with them.