PDA

View Full Version : Tips advice castaic upper lake next monday

Wreched
02-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Hows it going everybody,

I am pretty new to Castaic and fresh water in general, I am more of a surf fisherman than anything else. my friends and I will be headed to Castaic next week and rent a boat on the upper lake, I keep reading about these striper bass to be had there? We went about a month ago and we caught 1 LMB and i assume a SMB on night crawlers towards the end of the day. we were on a C-Rigg.

few things
1.) carolina rigg efficient
2.) night crawlers or plastics
3.) location (not looking to steel anybodys hotspot or honey general area would be nice)
4.) What does one use to catch striper and there location? are they out in the middle or hugging the drop offs?

Thanks again any advice and tips/tricks are much appreciated.

Fishbones
02-14-2013, 05:52 PM
The bait bite has been slow unless you put some time in and find em chewing, trolling rapalas, bucktails or crankbaits will score you some fish.
a depth finder would really increase your chances cuz once u find them u just gotta shove a bait or lure in there face and game on..
Fresh dines, bloodworms,crawlers, chovies will get bites..light line and weight...they are super light bitters.
Good luck and report up after..

Wreched
02-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks Fishbones!!!!! I have a fishfinder ive heard god and bad reviews just gotta try it out and hope for the best. Thanks for the tips, maybe i can head out to a korean market to see if they have dines or chovies. If i catch anything this place will be the first to know!!! haha

Fishbones
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
No problem, also try using a trout rod with soft tip when bait fishing, they bite so soft that the tip may barely move an inch.
usually a few cranks off the bottom, they also strike it when you slow wind it up off the bottom. Good luck and take pics for the report. Alex