PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-02-13-13 Winter Tail Hunting and Too much Wind!

Tunaslam
02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Fishing Wednesday 2-13-13, with Bill Fisher, on his 18’ Trophy, “Toad Haul”. I left my office in San Bernardino around 3pm Tuesday afternoon, and called Bill just before I crossed the border, a little after 5pm., which took only a couple minutes to cross into Mexico, unlike the previous day which was several hours due to the Manhunt search! They called off the dogs because they had him pinned down in Big Bear. Funny my back up plan was to go skiing in Big Bear with my son; however, all roads were blocked?

I arrived at Bill’s quaint Trailer residence on a cliff overlooking the water, some 10 miles south of Rosarito at 6:00pm., enjoying a beautiful view of the ocean, beaches, and Coronado Islands. I first stopped at Charley’s to pick up my winnings on the Super Bowl and for dinner. I won a $100 for the 3rd quarter score, yee ha!

I enjoyed a glass of wine, chips and salsa while they prepared my take out order for a Carne Burrito, Shrimp Tacos and a cheese Quesadilla for Bill.

Watched the Laker game before sacking out, alarm was set for 5:15 am. We woke up to the familiar sound of waves crashing against the cliffs, with a bit of a breeze. As we headed south to the boat launch, the seas appeared to be somewhat calm with some ripple. Just past grey light we arrived in Las Salinas, where Bill slips his boat.

We exited the harbor around 6:10am, into bumpy seas, a clear sky, and a good view of Todo Santos in the distance. I didn’t have to twist Bill’s arm to go south to find the Winter Tails today, given our prior success a few weeks back. We stopped to make bait in a number of places, however, it was scarce, and the birds were of no help, sitting in the water for the most part. After half an hour we had made seven pieces, 2 large sardines, 2 Green Mackerel, and 3 Spanish Mackerel. Not wanting to waste any more time we took off to the Sam Miguel Reef area.

The ride down wasn’t too bad, yet the ocean had a wind chop and some washing machine conditions. Water temps had dropped over two degrees; it was 56.6 compared to 58.9 several weeks ago. I guess the cold front, wind and rain accounted for this change?

When we arrived at the part of the Reef where we had previously caught fish at 7:30 am, the seas had calmed down and were approaching grease conditions. Sure loved that. There were several Panga’s working the area, and one small private boat. The only working birds were on a porpoise school, yet they did not seem to have much interest in what was beneath them? Off in the distance several whales breeched. The Ocean was full of life, but no signs of Winter Yellowtail.

We worked about a half square mile area looking for marks. We found some bait, and made a few more pieces, and then saw some marks on the bottom which looked promising. I began Yo Yoing Iron, while Bill put down a bait. Bill was bit almost instantly, however, it unbuttoned. Another bait was hammered and Bill hooks a 30” Lingcod. I also hooked a Lingcod, about 23 inches and released it. My next four drops I hooked fish, but a darn seal grabbed every one of them, what a pig!

We worked the reef until 10am when Mother wind spoiled the party. We never ever saw any birds working, and visibility was excellent, so we could see a long way’s off. Didn’t see any of the other boats catch a fish, although I’m sure they caught some Rockfish? We headed north and it was not too bad for the first 30 minutes then the winds increased to about 20 knots, the seas grew nastier, growing from 2 feet to over four, and very steep and close together.

We stopped just outside of Salsapuedes to fish for some more Rockfish. I fished and Bill held the boat in position. The scope out was fierce, and we covered several hundred yards in only a few minutes. Using this technique, dropping on the fish marks, while Bill headed up swell to allow the boat to drift back down to my jig, I managed to catch three Reds, Three Grumpy Groupers, a fat Santa Maria, and two small Starries. Bill did not wish to fish in the poor conditions.

The ocean was only getting worse so we continued north, now only five miles from the harbor. We stopped several more times for nothing in shallower water. We called it a day at 12:30 pm, yielding to Mother Wind again. Go on a long vacation please?

The entrance to the harbor was nasty, and we waited for a small set before entering, still caught a wave and went whew when we made it past the rocks. The high surf was really crashing on the rocks!

I left Bill’s at 3:30 pm. I crossed the border in Otay Mesa in only 24 minutes and arrived home in Diamond Bar at 7:30 pm.

Bill, I had still had a good time, as the weather is all part of the game and not under our control, thanks so much for the invite, and fabulous hospitality, can’t wait until the next trip.

Hook up!
Cory

ichthus
02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Great write up! Thanks for sharing!