PDA

View Full Version : Guide trip tues silverwood striper and trout slay

TroutOnly
02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
an old reg client contacted me he wanted some action , i said silverwood , he said its on lets go.we met just before they opened i prepped john brought his stuff to the boat , we hit the gate got the boat wet and it was time to fish. ckecked the marina area no action ,moved up the channel i found some stripers on bait and it started.i had to work the bait balls just right to get them to go ,after john got 6 stripeys ,he wanted ti fish some trout so i hit an old spot beached the boat put some crawlers out and we got trout action. we tried some other stuff but they only wanted meat ,they were some nice wild fish fulltails and great fights, i did the tuna tail cut on one to see if they were bright orange inside and it was ,that made john very happy. he wanted to move off shore and fish facing in but my anchors we up in the truck . so we just fished for a couple hours before we went baack out for a few more stripers, there was little wind ,and the surface water temp was 45 all day. thank you john for using my service again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/662815fc-97e6-421c-9b31-37521396a87f_zps8bd58924.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/7e654785-5af1-435f-998e-a805829c22e1_zps07c2fd4e.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/9ceb31ea-281f-4c0c-9561-f55e4056e6f6_zpsc623a394.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN1356_zps20a63d91.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN1353_zpsfd48162a.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN1350_zps0c9a717b.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN1358_zpsb516f4f4.jpg

cutbait
02-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Bob how come your the only one catching stripers at the lakes?

troutsniffer
02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
This guy always catches at that lake. Wood is pretty tough and this guy makes it happen like nothing. Just got my boat ready for this weekend. Good job man

DMS
02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
:UDaMan::High Five::Applause::Thumbs Up::Popcorn:

Beancounter
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
You are the Man TO!
I've gotta get out there at the right time.

Fishbones
02-12-2013, 09:53 PM
just a walk in the park for you bob...always keeping your customers happy with great guide fishing results.

catchingsomefish
02-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Nice catch guys! No green by catch either, a great day on the water.....................................See ya Thursday Bob..............................................D ave

trail blazer
02-13-2013, 04:13 AM
A freekin KILLER BOB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Congrats to the both of ya!

MikesOcean
02-13-2013, 08:16 AM
:YouDaMan:

seal
02-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Bob how come your the only one catching stripers at the lakes?

He's throwing everybody off, looks like Castaic to me:Big Grin:.

5150fishn
02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Wow, what a great day on the water that must have been. Slayed the jailbirds and some sweet full tail trout! Great job taking care of your client Bob! Very impressive.

Hardcor
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
John wants two species, Unreal Bob ! Four holdover full tail trout and nine really nice Stripers with a toad thrown in. Just like 5150fishn said, " Very impressive " Nice work !

DEVOREFLYER
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
TO you da man. :Worship:

Stalker Of Fish
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
You sure can sniff out those fish T.O. . Are you part Blood Hound ? You guys did great ! I will be definitely booking a
DVL trip with you for my Son and Myself this Spring when everything starts moving again . Do you ever troll or drift with Flies?
I need some technique tweaks for Fly line Stripers if U think that's viable on DVL &SKINNER my primary fishing grounds . I have had success doing it on rivers but have not applied it seriously on lakes .
I troll u - rigs and everything else would like to learn more about fishing swimbaits also . I am hearing your the go to man .

DEVOREFLYER
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Stalker of Fish:

STORY BEHIND THE WHITE FLY: Josh Krause at Last Chance Bait and Tackle in Hemet will tell you that he first started hearing about anglers using “the little white fly” earlier this year. No one knew where to get them, all they knew is that they were watching a couple of regulars with fly rods casting and trolling these white flies and just hammering the stripers at the lake. Pretty soon, they were making their own versions or ordering streamers from fly-fishing catalogs and trying them. Krause said he was seeing a wide variety of white flies being fished by anglers trying to emulate the fly-anglers’ success.
“Most of the people still don’t want to say anything about it, but they are really working,” said Krause.
Bob Slamal of Riverside was the fly-angler who started the craze. Slamal’s name is familiar to old-timers in the area. He owned and ran Riverside Ski and Sport for years before closing the store and retiring in 2009. An avid fly-angler and part-time guide, Slamal came up with the pattern for fishing stripers at Lake Skinner, but found the fly worked where ever gamefish ate shad or similar-looking baitfish. It’s not a complicated pattern and Slamal had them made to his specs in three primary sizes -- four-inches long to represent bigger shad, three-inches long, and a small 2 1/2-inch version.
“They saw what I was doing for five months out there, and I guess they were paying attention,” said Slamal. “Now a lot of the guys have their own flies they’re making themselves.”
It’s kind of hard not to notice when a couple of guys in a boat with long fly rods are hooked up all the time. Slamal said their average day was 15 to 30 fish and his best day was 45 fish from noon to 5:30 p.m. for two anglers. The stripers ranged from three to 12 pounds, all caught trolling or casting “my little white fly” and bringing it through schools of stripers in 15 to 25 feet of water.
Slamal said the white fly has accounted for more than just stripers at Diamond Valley. His fishing buddy Al Thorson of Temecula landed a 29 1/2-inch, 9 3/4-pound holdover rainbow this year in the middle of a wide open striper bite. Slamal landed a three-pound crappie in July. He’s caught largemouth, smallmouth and catfish on the fly. It just works, and now everyone wants what works.
So not only is a new lake record probably just around the corner at Diamond Valley, it’s not too far fetched to think it just might be caught on a little white fly.

TroutOnly
02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I will see you in the morning dave,,,,,,,,,,,the blood will flow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

vongoejr
02-13-2013, 08:55 PM
:Applause::Applause::Applause::Applause::Applause: :Applause::Applause::Applause:

Stalker Of Fish
02-14-2013, 01:01 AM
T.O. No acknowledgment of my questions ? If I have somehow offended you a simple shut up ***** would
suffice but to be ignored ? Was it the Blood Hound comment ? Because they are one of my favorite dogs
or was it I should of asked my questions in a P.M. ? Hell I don't Know I am kinda new here I don't know what I can ask and what I cant and who will answer my questions and who won't .

Devoreflyer
I first witnessed the magic of the little white fly in 1998 . There was a guy at SKinner lake who fished from his River Drift boat which caught my eyes the first time I saw his boat . I love river fishing and that style of boat is not often seen by me in Southern California . A friend of mine told me one day he was a local guide when I pointed him out and asked who he was
because I would see him several times each week even all week sometimes . I was going through a bunch of surgeries on both legs for about two years and he was one of the few people who was at the lake almost as often as i was .
Lake Skinner was my self prescribed physical therapy then!

I would bait and wait and watch this guy a lot because he caught a lot of fish consistently . There were a lot of guys
who did the same but they did it in the mornings and evenings chasing the tremendous boils of shad that occurred back then tossing jiggs or big surface lures to get there 15 fish limits. What tripped me out about this gentleman was he did not run and gun all over the lake chasing those boils or the boats like everyone was. He never even really seemed to key in on lake structure. The dude would motor up wind as far as he could then align himself for the longest slow drift he could set up and do it over and over again changing his line across the lake occasionally to hit new areas
Another thing I noticed was he was catching fish all day long most of the time and averaged larger fish then what others I saw or knew were catching. He had his slow days like we all do and some skunks at times but not often . I liked that he caught his fish all day long and his fun was spread out across the day .

I observed over time that the guy never used anything but a fly Rod and he did not beat the water with it either . This guy
was a study of economy of motion from his boat handling to his rod handling he was smooth I tell ya!
After a couple of months, I had enough of watching it was time for asking . So I cruised up to him with my electric motor
and I say hello and introduce myself . I tell him how I was amazed at his all day Striper prowess when I was only consistent morning and evening . He says hello and kinda smiles so I see my opening and say I would like to catch fish the way you do how is it done ? He picked up his rod showing me as he said " the little white fly"
He starts up his motor and before he motors off he says and lose the bait rods !
It was Spring of 1999 when I had this very brief conversation .
I have had pretty good luck with Striper Flies white or not since but I often at times think there is/was something more to it.
It's that I am still seeking .

Hooked Up
02-14-2013, 01:09 AM
He's throwing everybody off, looks like Castaic to me:Big Grin:.
Nice try seal. lmao

Hooked Up
02-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Nice day of fishing at the "wood". Another happy customer! T/O is obviously one of the 10%. I hate being one of the 90%. lol But I am not greedy. :)

LuckyBasser
02-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Best ceviche ever bob! My family ate it up at the striped/trout mix up at thanksgiving, ill be calling you soon for my best friends bday.

trail blazer
02-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Stalker of fish,,,,,,

i assure you that out of the dozens of questions a week and dozens of pm,s bob gets weekly on the whereaboughts and how to,s of the striper bite that he is not just ignoring you .

he,d have to hire a secretary<like GLMFTS> or somebody to answer all the questions he gets here on FNN.

hire him for a day,,,,just saying!,,,,,,,,,,,please don,t take this wrong bro,,,,,no dis,n at you intended here i promise,just trying to help.

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Stalker of fish,,,,,,

i assure you that out of the dozens of questions a week and dozens of pm,s bob gets weekly on the whereaboughts and how to,s of the striper bite that he is not just ignoring you .

he,d have to hire a secretary<like GLMFTS> or somebody to answer all the questions he gets here on FNN.

hire him for a day,,,,just saying!,,,,,,,,,,,please don,t take this wrong bro,,,,,no dis,n at you intended h
ere i promise,just trying to help.

TRAIL BLAZER

Suckretary

TroutOnly
02-14-2013, 07:39 PM
thats you carpboy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

trail blazer
02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
hay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Your wishing YOU had a SUCKRETARY!

Great slay BOB!

karlow
02-16-2013, 07:58 PM
WTF
Two fly fishing adds?
No No Fing No.
Bob is not catching fish at the wood on white flys!
Last week I caught five, today Jack caught five, and Yope caught at least 30.
None were landed on flys. They might work, but that is not what is getting the job done at the wood.
I will give it a shot on Sunday W/O flys white or otherwise.
There were no large fish landed today that I know of.
There is a whole lot of crap online.
FYI crap tends to draw flys!

make one wander!

KP

stocker
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Nice true holdovers none of the hack tail white mushy meat. I've spent some time at a few of those locations pictured and at one of them I've never been skunked. Way to slay!!

seal
02-17-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry but I am not sold on the "true" holdovers, to dispute TO is a dangerous game I must admit, but from photo evidence only I must go with only one of those a confirmed holdover due to coloration of fins and body, the others are suspect to me. But pictures are hard to judge by sometimes. The fish being planted have been full finned and nice colors, even my friend believed he was catching holdovers but ho's at the Wood and BBL have a very distinct look normally.

Sorry, go ahead blast away I can take it!

TroutOnly
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Seal the one spotted up fish was a mail getting his colors on for the spawn the other 3 were females ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as holdovers go they could be held over for a week or a year ,the textbook deal is normally held over a year, but theres a possibillity they could have been born in one of the creeks feeding the lake,they have been spawning there since the lake was opened and the first fish were stocked,they all had fulltails and fought like hell,and had orange meat john confirmed that with me after he got them home and cleaned them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

seal
02-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Seal the one spotted up fish was a mail getting his colors on for the spawn the other 3 were females ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as holdovers go they could be held over for a week or a year ,the textbook deal is normally held over a year, but theres a possibillity they could have been born in one of the creeks feeding the lake,they have been spawning there since the lake was opened and the first fish were stocked,they all had fulltails and fought like hell,and had orange meat john confirmed that with me after he got them home and cleaned them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes Bob I've caught many that were spawned from the creeks in years past. The oragne meat is more of a confirmation as anything but we've been catching fish on the days of the stock by the marina that looked so good you could swear they were holdovers, hell maybe they were I've only kept a few. But your right they've been planting for a few months you could have got them from an earlier plant. That one fish with the orange fins has been in there much longer than the other ones though I'd bet.

TroutOnly
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
THERES BIG HOLDOVER FISH IN THERE SEAL, IVE GOT SOME PALS THAT TUBE IN THE SPRING WITH FLY FISHING GEAR AND CATCH REALLY BIG ONES GOING IN FOR THE SPAWN, THEY DONT REPORT ON ANY BOARDS BUT DO TELL ME WHEN THEY ARE CATCHING ,THE SECRET CANT BE TOLD OR THE LAKE WOULD TOTALLY GET RAPED,,,,I JUST LOVE KNOWING THERE DOING THERE THING JUST LIKE IN PYRAMID LAKE,,,,,,,,DESPITE MR STRIPEY,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

IncredibleHuck
02-18-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry but I am not sold on the "true" holdovers, to dispute TO is a dangerous game I must admit, but from photo evidence only I must go with only one of those a confirmed holdover due to coloration of fins and body, the others are suspect to me. But pictures are hard to judge by sometimes. The fish being planted have been full finned and nice colors, even my friend believed he was catching holdovers but ho's at the Wood and BBL have a very distinct look normally.

Sorry, go ahead blast away I can take it!

I think I agree with you on it Seal. If anyone knows the wood, it's you.

billy b
02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
I think I agree with you on it Seal. If anyone knows the wood, it's you.

I was a little surprised to hear such good trout success. Just how good is the Wood for trout ... how big can you catch ... any browns?

I remember when Del East was king lf the lake ... and everyone said it would be the next Crowley ... (Did they ever say that about DVL?)

Best to ya Bob

seal
02-18-2013, 07:45 PM
THERES BIG HOLDOVER FISH IN THERE SEAL, IVE GOT SOME PALS THAT TUBE IN THE SPRING WITH FLY FISHING GEAR AND CATCH REALLY BIG ONES GOING IN FOR THE SPAWN, THEY DONT REPORT ON ANY BOARDS BUT DO TELL ME WHEN THEY ARE CATCHING ,THE SECRET CANT BE TOLD OR THE LAKE WOULD TOTALLY GET RAPED,,,,I JUST LOVE KNOWING THERE DOING THERE THING JUST LIKE IN PYRAMID LAKE,,,,,,,,DESPITE MR STRIPEY,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

Bob I fly fish and float tube Silverwood quite a bit in the spring, if you fish a black bugger you can get into stripers, holdovers, LMB's etc... Recent holdover populations have been down, I think, but maybe I'm missing something. I will tell you that changes in stocking patterns I believe have had an effect on the lakes holdover trout population, but that belief goes on def ears by those that are in charge of the stocking program.

It's a unique lake and you are dead on about Mr. Stripey not winning the battle, battles are waged annually and the diversity of the lake for some reason means Mr. Stripey only wins a temporary battle but both LMB's and trout find a way. Gotta love mother nature!

TroutOnly
02-23-2013, 09:06 AM
HUCK IVE FISHED THERE SINCE IT WAS OPENED,,BILLY THATS WHEN THE WOOD THE PYRAMID AND CASTAIC ALL HAD THE BIG HOLDOVERS ,I USED USED TO HIT ALL THREE LAKES ALL THE TIME IN MY LITTLE BOAT AND MY LEADCORE SETUPS,I DID CATCH BROWNS . MY BUDDY CATCHES 3'S UP TO 7'S ON HIS CUSTOM FLIES IM NOT SURE OF THE PATTERNS HE TIES SEVERAL TYPES OF BUGGERS FOR ME FOR TROLLING THE SIERRA'S,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,