PDA

View Full Version : dvl bite. believe the hype.

Matt_Magnone
02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
its sad that a lot of people have felt the need to stop posting on these forums. a lot of people feel they need to keep every ounce of info secret. personally, i have my share of secrets, spots, or techniques that i keep to myself. areas i want you to know about, i'll share. areas that are a core spot for me, of course im going to be a little reluctant to give. at the same time, helping others break down the puzzle by dishing some good info in turn can help your own fishing. i was fortunate to have this happen to me last year. case in point, there was a blade bite last year that a board member was on. we had been typing back and forth talking about fish location and their habits. i gave some info as well as he. needless to say, hand in hand, we both had a chance to get on one of the most insane blade bites i've personally ever been on. we gotta bring that back.

ANYWAY

bite is fishing steady guys. the lake is fishing in the 15-20 fish day type stuff right now. average fish is getting larger when it was 1.5-2#'s now its 2.5-3#'s. water temp has been consistent between 57 and 59 in the morning warming to the low 60's by the afternoon. depending on side of the lake visibility varies. some areas i can see down 12-15 while others you can barely get 6'. water looks to be slowly rising. two weeks ago a 38' flat is now 42' as of today.

lots of fish starting to work their way up with a bulk population in that 35-50' zone. lots of males but if you get on the right spot you can plug a couple decent fish. nothing too fancy with the plan of attack. obviously the fish are deeper right now. fish are utilizing pieces of structure or cover to play hop scotch as the water temp begins to rise. water warms up; they move up. water cools down; they move down. pretty simple. the only thing that throws a curve ball into the equation is the fact that the lake bottom is littered in trees. these trees are stopping points between point A and B. within each stopping point, they may either move up or move down. high pressure we'll see fish hovering just under the main canopy inactve, or toward the bases in a neutral mood. as the low pressure arrives the fish will lift, move to key edge spots within the canopy or move up to the next stopping point.

turn on your fish finders and watch a little tv. look at your cover and then look at how the fish are positioned in it. pictures are worth a thousand words.

are they on the bottom?
are they high and tight?
are they hovering above the canopy?

various techniques are working right now, but above all play around with it. there's no shortcut for success. grab yourself a search tool, a "fall" bait and a bottom bait. use your search bait to find fish. once you've located your fish, find out what part of the water column they came from. if they are high in the column fish a bait that falls through the water column such as a senko, fluke, darterhead or swimjig. if the fish came off the bottom fish a bait like a jig, dropshot, c rig... if you're fishing tree fish, think of the tree as its own water column. you have the top of the tree, the bottom of the tree and then everything in the middle. pick it apart the same way.

baits and techniques are not really the issue right now that is setting successful anglers from unsuccessful; its fish location. find fishable water and exploit it.

"timing" has been brutal for me these past few weeks. ive been having a hard time getting it figured out. way too many variables. i was very fortunate yesterday to come in contact with a very nice fish though. timing was critical. wind started to blow and i was at the right place at the right time. the fishing is getting fun right now. oh wait..... we can't believe the hype! THERE'S NO FISH LEFT IN DVL!!!!!! hahah!
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: ------> :Thumbs Up:

39082 39087

if you guys have any questions swing by the shop and i'll try and help the best that i can.

-matt

TroutOnly
02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
GREEN-HAWG-BOY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GREAT FISH MATT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

Matt_Magnone
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
thanks buddy! i appreciate it. i worked my butt off for that baby!

cutbait
02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Dayum Matt!

That beast pic is so close to TO's avatar Im having problems with which has the bigger gut

Fishbones
02-12-2013, 10:00 PM
That things a beast Matt, congrats and keep the positive energy flowing...

PONTOON
02-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Matt,

I've enjoyed reading your reports and you are proof that good things come to those who are persistent and put in the work. :Cool:

Congratulations and keep the reports coming. :Thumbs Up:

TrouTracker
02-13-2013, 02:24 AM
To Matt- As always thanks for keeping everybody informed on what's happening at the lake. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that have never been to the lake, but will soon fish it with the information that you are providing. I'm glad that you are taking the positive position on how the lake is fishing. Sure, the lake doesn't fish the same as during the winter months, but that's fishing! Also, it's really nice that you spend time with angler's that need your help at Last Chance. You always make time for everyone and anyone, which is always a good thing.

Keep up the great reports and videos, they are always well thought out. Thanks for sharing your information and keeping us all in the loop!
Barry

Stormcrow
02-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Wow, that fish is as big as you man! LOL As always, thank you for the great info. You sure are an asset to all of us and I appreciate all the advice you have given me. :-)

Interestingly, that fish looks VERY healthy and fat.

Hardcor
02-13-2013, 08:52 AM
That's the biggest pig I've seen all year, Nice work Matt

fishinone
02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I might not consider one like that to be UglyGreenByCatch.

Nice fish!

Stalker Of Fish
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
So much for all those DVL complainers ! Great job I really look for your reports and have appreciated the knowledge you
share greatly. I need to come by the shop I have never been there. Do you guys have fly tying materials ?
Also with that seemingly warmer water are the stripers coming up from the depths ? Trying to decide if I should
fish DVL Saturday since its gonna be warm OHHHHHHHH YEAh WARM !

DarkShadow
02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
That thing is a toad!!

finsane
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Nice job on that big slob

HawgZWylde
02-14-2013, 12:38 PM
First and foremost, congrats Matt. Seeing that fish on your phone didn't do it justice. You have put so much time and thought on the water at DVL you deserve to reap the fruits and rewards of your labor and determination. Kudos to you bro!

"its sad that a lot of people have felt the need to stop posting on these forums. a lot of people feel they need to keep every ounce of info secret. personally, i have my share of secrets, spots, or techniques that i keep to myself. areas i want you to know about, i'll share. areas that are a core spot for me, of course im going to be a little reluctant to give. at the same time, helping others break down the puzzle by dishing some good info in turn can help your own fishing. i was fortunate to have this happen to me last year. case in point, there was a blade bite last year that a board member was on. we had been typing back and forth talking about fish location and their habits. i gave some info as well as he. needless to say, hand in hand, we both had a chance to get on one of the most insane blade bites i've personally ever been on. we gotta bring that back."

Absolutely correct. I'm one of the ones guilty here. Not to make excuses but this is out of laziness more than wanting to keep secrets. I do understand the guys who have something at stake in this game, i.e. tournament anglers and record chasers keeping it close because many times the smallest, most subtle change in bait and or technique can have a profound effect on the results. It can and does affect whether you're in the money or going home without recouping any expenses or profit. And spots, well certain spots should be earned by putting in the time to locate, then learn it. Some of us are dedicated to doing just that. They are tough to find and learn and could easily be blown up by being overfished or abused. I definitely have no problem pointing people in the right direction, but I feel from personal experience that finding that certain structure or spot with big pigs on it, and catching them is much more rewarding knowing you put in the time to find it, and learn it. But for the rest of us, it's guys like you in their generosity and love of angling that enables us to learn and grow the sport through your sharing of knowledge, and for free at that. And anybody who knows you, knows you aren't doing this to "push products" as has been mentioned here in the past by some, but out of the love of the sport and the want to see other anglers succeed. Thank you for being that man Matt.

Dude, that blade bite was nothing less than ridiculous, lol and expensive. I broke, actually the fish broke so many blades it actually thinned my wallet a bit, lol. A couple of the days were so hot, a brand new one would only last an hour. I even busted a few that I had from the 80's. And on two lakes too boot. Skinner was the biggest surprise for me. We spent the years the ramp at DVL was closed over there and we never got on a blade bite like that. Big, fat and highly aggressive fish rewarded us with phenomenal days of fishing on both lakes and I was actually sore from all the battles that took place. Man I hope it's a repeat this year, if it is, it's getting real close.

All fish I caught last Tuesday were caught on the bottom between 20-40ft using 1/2oz jigs in natural colors. They usually hit just before the bait hit bottom. We metered fish mid column but couldn't get them to bite, unless they were following it down. For me nothing hit until around 1:30pm. They were caught on the inside of secondary points and various structure nearby which tells me they are staging for spawn. It's close man, and I think it's gonna be a real good year.

Thanks for posting Matt...

Grillsmasher
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Hey Matt, good job keeping us all posted on the jewel and excellent job on stickin the pigs. I havent had the time to take the nboat out since Dec and havent been to DVL since Nov. Gonna try and hit it this weekend if my boat passes inspection with all the dry cob webs.

HawgStalker
02-16-2013, 03:16 PM
TOOOOOAAAAADDDD!!!

Thanks for sharing... everything Matt!!!

RenegadeII
02-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Matt,
Thanks for all the info and the positive viewpoints on sharing info. I've been fishing my whole life and every day I learn. In fact I would like to try some Carolina rigs this season and was wondering what size weights, rigging techniques and lures you might suggest. I was also wondering if you recommend the pre-rigged Carolina setups with weight, beads, clicker, etc all ready setup on a wire?
Thanks
Jim

Matt_Magnone
02-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Matt,
Thanks for all the info and the positive viewpoints on sharing info. I've been fishing my whole life and every day I learn. In fact I would like to try some Carolina rigs this season and was wondering what size weights, rigging techniques and lures you might suggest. I was also wondering if you recommend the pre-rigged Carolina setups with weight, beads, clicker, etc all ready setup on a wire?
Thanks
Jim

hey man, i have a few videos i've made so far. still very elementary, but im working on getting better at it. if you scroll down i did a video on carolina rigs. check it out. i outlined quite a bit

https://www.lastchancetackle.com/Photos-Videos/Videos.aspx

Matt_Magnone
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
by the way ive been meaning to thank you all for the kind words. my goal is to keep this sport growing. what i've learned i want to teach. hopefully what little mumbo jumbo i preach, is enough to help you guys get on some fish!!!