PDA

View Full Version : Feb 12th trout report

ben0606
02-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Wasn't planning on fishing since I went yesterday so I ran my errands and house work in the morning. I sit down and read sea addictions post and say what the hell. 10 minutes later I'm on the road. 2 miles later I see my trolling motor dragging on the road. Then it hits me, yesterday I found that my pin broke on my mount. I was so fast out the door I forgot to do my pre checks. I pull over unhitched the trailer and made one drive looking for pieces but said the hell with it too much traffic. Then I debate going home but say screw it I'm going fishing.

Get to the lake and meter fish on a ledge in the marina with a steep drop. No trolling motor so I'm forced to use the outboard and anchor. Not takers on swimbaits so I decide to have fun with the trout seeing as I've never fished dvl for trout. Well, it was like fishing an over populated pond in my back yard. Hooked up on a lmb but came off before he got to the boat. I've gotta say with all the knocking of corona and irvine, this was even more wide open. I don't just fish irvine and corona to catch trout, main reason yes, but being able to camp and fish all night is great as well as the tailgating parties. Back to dvl, these trout were awesome fighters and my biggest came in at 5 1/2 lbs with all others good size.

Line-4 lb fluro
Seibal magic swimmer
Wind was breezy

Wish I would of stuck with the swimbaits more, saw some boils here and there but didn't even chase em. No sense in chasing a boil with an outboard.
I had numerous misses and ones that got away but it was still nice fishing a few hours. I actually felt kinda guilty it was so easy. Met some nice guys fishing on a bass taxi rental who had good action too. Time to maintaince the boat and hit up the bass again. Sea addiction, thanks again for your post.

HawgZWylde
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Wasn't planning on fishing since I went yesterday so I ran my errands and house work in the morning. I sit down and read sea addictions post and say what the hell. 10 minutes later I'm on the road. 2 miles later I see my trolling motor dragging on the road. Then it hits me, yesterday I found that my pin broke on my mount. I was so fast out the door I forgot to do my pre checks. I pull over unhitched the trailer and made one drive looking for pieces but said the hell with it too much traffic. Then I debate going home but say screw it I'm going fishing.

Get to the lake and meter fish on a ledge in the marina with a steep drop. No trolling motor so I'm forced to use the outboard and anchor. Not takers on swimbaits so I decide to have fun with the trout seeing as I've never fished dvl for trout. Well, it was like fishing an over populated pond in my back yard. Hooked up on a lmb but came off before he got to the boat. I've gotta say with all the knocking of corona and irvine, this was even more wide open. I don't just fish irvine and corona to catch trout, main reason yes, but being able to camp and fish all night is great as well as the tailgating parties. Back to dvl, these trout were awesome fighters and my biggest came in at 5 1/2 lbs with all others good size.

Line-4 lb fluro
Seibal magic swimmer
Wind was breezy

Wish I would of stuck with the swimbaits more, saw some boils here and there but didn't even chase em. No sense in chasing a boil with an outboard.
I had numerous misses and ones that got away but it was still nice fishing a few hours. I actually felt kinda guilty it was so easy. Met some nice guys fishing on a bass taxi rental who had good action too. Time to maintaince the boat and hit up the bass again. Sea addiction, thanks again for your post.

Haha, looked like a red Tracker fest at the ledge when we came in this afternoon. Was that you the marina dude yelled at to get out of the water while you had a fish on? That lake could be open another hour and still have plenty of light left so the stinkin Kangaroo rats don't get splatted...

ben0606
02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Haha, looked like a red Tracker fest at the ledge when we came in this afternoon. Was that you the marina dude yelled at to get out of the water while you had a fish on? That lake could be open another hour and still have plenty of light left so the stinkin Kangaroo rats don't get splatted...

Um yea that was me. I'm that guy who has to have just one more. It's funny when I got to the lake I was by myself but hey I don't mind. He still banded my boat too lol nice guy. I apologized and he was really cool about it

Matt_Magnone
02-12-2013, 08:21 PM
thank you for posting your reports! great job!

ben0606
02-14-2013, 08:23 AM
thank you for posting your reports! great job!

Thank you for all of your reports videos and sharing.

HawgZWylde
02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Um yea that was me. I'm that guy who has to have just one more. It's funny when I got to the lake I was by myself but hey I don't mind. He still banded my boat too lol nice guy. I apologized and he was really cool about it

Lol, so am I. My buddy and I have landed many times after the bell rang. Slay or skunk, we utilize every possible second in the day on the water to either learn and or catch. We passed you last week, you were fishing the wall before the Eucalyptus trees. We were in the Stratos, I was the one who waved at you. Would have pulled over and chatted but didn't want to kill your bite, lol and of course, was anxious to get to the next fish.

Thanks for posting and I'll see ya on the water next week...

HelicopterJohn
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey Ben0606, can we borrow your anchor again!?! Need us to un snag a lure for you?!?! Can you help us anchor up again?!? Good trout fishing that day!! Good to see you on here!

Best wishes!!!! Helicopterjohn (the guy with the e-cig)

ben0606
02-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Lol, so am I. My buddy and I have landed many times after the bell rang. Slay or skunk, we utilize every possible second in the day on the water to either learn and or catch. We passed you last week, you were fishing the wall before the Eucalyptus trees. We were in the Stratos, I was the one who waved at you. Would have pulled over and chatted but didn't want to kill your bite, lol and of course, was anxious to get to the next fish.

Thanks for posting and I'll see ya on the water next week...

Yup that spot saved me from ending my no skunk streak. Might be a minute before I get back out with needing to maintaince my boat but got an invite onto another so might hit up Monday. Work has been hectic. I'll be sure to hit ya up next time I see ya.

ben0606
02-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Hey Ben0606, can we borrow your anchor again!?! Need us to un snag a lure for you?!?! Can you help us anchor up again?!? Good trout fishing that day!! Good to see you on here!

Best wishes!!!! Helicopterjohn (the guy with the e-cig)

Lol I get weird looks for having anchors on my boat but it paid off with my trolling motor flying off. Thanks for saving my $17 lure much appreciated. Good time for sure and good meeting you guys..........hey dorner went out like he should, no wasting away on d-row for 30 years, disgrace to all veterans and the police community.

HelicopterJohn
02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Lol I get weird looks for having anchors on my boat but it paid off with my trolling motor flying off. Thanks for saving my $17 lure much appreciated. Good time for sure and good meeting you guys..........hey dorner went out like he should, no wasting away on d-row for 30 years, disgrace to all veterans and the police community.

No kidding! Couldn't have said it better brotha!!! That guy is a real piece of work!!!! At least dorner made it on time for ask Wednesday!!!! Hope to see you out there again, minus the jerks from "Andies tree company" who like to cut in front of people!!!! Should have hit them I'm the back of the head with a HUD!!!!

billy b
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Never heard of the "magic swimmer" ... is this what you were talkin about?

http://www.thehookuptackle.com/fishing-Swimbaits/Sebile/Magic%20Swimmer

thanks for your post ... great lookin fish!!!

seal
02-15-2013, 01:08 PM

The swimming action on a Magic Swimmer is incredible and they are very productive at times. I don't know if he was using the soft model (like 4" or something) or hard, my guess is the soft, but you can purchase a Magic Simmer swimbait in a 9" hard model.

I use the soft model for LMB's in the spring but don't think I've ever got a trout on one.

ben0606
02-16-2013, 01:27 AM

That's the one, I was using the hard body around 4 inch sinking. Swims awesome and was very productive. Trou tracker is the one who told me about them and I got them at last chance.

ben0606
02-16-2013, 01:29 AM
The swimming action on a Magic Swimmer is incredible and they are very productive at times. I don't know if he was using the soft model (like 4" or something) or hard, my guess is the soft, but you can purchase a Magic Simmer swimbait in a 9" hard model.

I use the soft model for LMB's in the spring but don't think I've ever got a trout on one.

I didn't know about the 9 inch, I'll have to check it out as well as the soft bodies, thanks for the info

Stalker Of Fish
02-16-2013, 07:58 AM
No kidding! Couldn't have said it better brotha!!! That guy is a real piece of work!!!! At least dorner made it on time for ask Wednesday!!!! Hope to see you out there again, minus the jerks from "Andies tree company" who like to cut in front of people!!!! Should have hit them I'm the back of the head with a HUD!!!!

So the Andies Crew operate boats in the same manner as their trucks? Why am I not surprised ?

HelicopterJohn
02-16-2013, 12:28 PM
So the Andies Crew operate boats in the same manner as their trucks? Why am I not surprised ?

I guess so "stalker of fish". Ben0606 and I were fishing a prime time spot, and the Andies crew rolls right in, and parks themselves between us boats and the target area. Not completely rude or anything. I didn't have the balls to be a dick, but Ben0606 told them to move it!

HawgStalker
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Nice job man! I have the 5in magic swimmer(hard bait) in natural shad... I always have tons of followers(LMB), just can't get them to eat it!!! I'll figure it soon hopefully...

Thanks for sharing!