PDA

View Full Version : Pier/surf rod combo

Charlessyverson
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Is a surf rod "usable" on a pier? I am considering getting one of the 4 piece 10' St Croix travel surf rods with a Shimano Baitrunner or Penn Live Liner. Is this going to be too heavy for pier use? If I were to get a separate pier rod (ugly stik), what size reel would you recommend that would cover both applications?

Thank you again for all of the advice!

AA84
02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Is there a specific species you plan on catching?

Charlessyverson
02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
No, whatever would be available during early April; perch, halibut, maybe small sharks? I have a light rod for perch, so looking for a bait fishing or cut bait rod. I go to florida or Texas once a year to fish the surf, so am looking at upgrading my surf gear. Have used an ugly stik the past, so am considering getting a 10' st croix travel surf rod if it is something that will work. If not, I will get an ugly stik or pier duty.

Shewillbemine
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Honestly, "too heavy" is a personal thing. My surf rod would be too heavy for the wife but my 6'2" best friend would be just fine with it.

People fish off piers with straight fishing line. If you are comfortable carrying your combo and using it on the pier, you're fine. IMO, pier fishing is the lowest maintenance style of fishing. Whatever you can use to get bait into the water will work.

City Dad
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
The IMHO 10' is a bit unwieldy - but it will work.

As I take kids to fish piers, I go with gear that is "expendable" that is to say inexpensive enough that it won't be any great tragedy if a rig goes into the drink... which will happen eventually if you fish with kids enough. Trust me.